i30 Owners Club

I30 Intermittent Starting Problem

kat00 · 8 · 16620

Offline kat00

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Rivo
My Mrs has got a 2010 I30
Great little car, I flog it every time I drive it, which isnt very often, it goes round corners like its on rails.
This thread might help someone hence the reason for the post.
It has an intermittent starting problem.
I first read about the problem in this article http://www.drive.com.au/editorial/articledetail.aspx?ArticleID=64181
I always suspected fuel every time it occurred.
Still haven't had it fixed, will get it looked at one day.
You will know when the problem occurs, the car car cranks when the key is turned but no way in the world will it start.
The quick fix is to clench your fist and bang on the steering column right next to the key barrel and it will start.......every time.

That and if Hyundai ever puts a decent auto transmission in their vehicles they will be a brilliant car.
I bought her an Accent and the trannie was a POS, to Hyundai s credit they replaced it. The I30 with 70K K's on it is heading down the same path, seems to me that Hyundai had excellent customer service but from what I have seen it is nowhere near as good as it used to be.
Unless I see some evidence that Hyundai address the soft transmissions I doubt I will buy her another one. Shame really because they are almost bulletproff otherwise. 

• i30

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Replace the immobiliser reception coil in the steering column (Smatra) this is quite a common issue. Will be done under warranty if you are still in warranty period.

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
I am quite student of history, thank you.   It's so nice to look back and see how things have progressed  :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Hitting the steering wheel is probably the correct thing to do. There is an aerial for key transponder located there that needs attention I suspect.

Too bad you can't learn to enjoy the auto trans.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I've not heard of any auto tranny problems though they aren't designed to be flogged, maybe this is where the problem lays :whistler:

Offline kat00

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Rivo
I've not heard of any auto tranny problems though they aren't designed to be flogged, maybe this is where the problem lays :whistler:

Really?
My Mrs got her licence when she was 40,her first car was the Accent, she couldn't drive a car hard if she was rushing to a tuppaware party. The I30's transmission is behaving exactly the same way as the Accents did and I never drove the Accent so the transmission issue has got bugger all to do with me. The precise issue is that sometimes it won't change to second gear when it should. At about 3500rpm it feels like a semi neutral, rev a further 1000rpm then clunk into second.  My Brothers Mrs Accent does the exact same thing, Again it's intermittent.......But it will get worse.

As for the history lesson, bugger all, precise information, is mentioned anywhere on the net about this issue, there are scattered anecdotal, vague references  to the problem. The purpose of my post was that if some poor bugger can't start the car and is desperate and looking for a way to start it, with a bit of luck he or she may stumble across this thread, what I described above will get it going. For Sure!
I know exactly what the problem is with the ignition but call Blacktown Hyundai and describe the scenario, ask if there is a known problem and they will deny it until the cows come home.
I got unbelievable service from them with the Accent and that and for absolutely no other reason is why I purchased the I30, I figured that if a company was to standby and support their product the way they did they deserved consumer support. Sadly, like their transmissions, their service is slipping. 
  • i30

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Lorian identified the problem, in my opinion. Sod the speed or driving style analytics.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline joesama

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
I dont get it..
I find this hard to believe.
My i30 do not do with the gears as you describe it above..
I'm quite confused as to why it would hold the first gear....
Are you pressing on the gas peddle to the floor? All car ECU will want to hold the gears if quick acceleration is required.

joe...
  • Merc E200, Merc C250 CGI Avantgard, Hyundai i30 Elite Hatch

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal