i30 Owners Club

From a 1996 Ford to a 2015 Hyundai. Both more and less than I was expecting.

Maverik · 11 · 2430

Offline Maverik

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
Last Friday evening I took receipt of a Hyundai i30 Active X 1.8L Petrol, series II, blue. It's replacing a 1996 Ford Falcon EF 4.0L Petrol, also Series II, also Blue.

There were a few things that have struck me since. The first is that it's amazing that the 1.8L engine (generally) feels much the same as the older 4.0L engine. Perhaps I don't drive aggressively enough! The auto transmission does seems to "pull" more when you take your foot off the gas. The other is how few new features there are in the car that is almost 20 years newer! The Ford had power steering, cruise control, automatic front windows, electric side mirrors. Perhaps ahead of its time. There are a few new items I appreciate - the electric folding side mirrors for close parks (why couldn't this be automated?) and the rear sensors and camera. Given the slope of the front, adding front sensors was a must. The Ford you could actually see the front!

All in all, I feel like it's a lot of car for the price point, and I'm very happy with the purchase. I look forward to reporting back after we've spent more time together. Oh, the blue is a lot nicer on the Hyundai as well  :wink:
  • 2015 i30 Active X - Blue

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :welcum: Maverik #5  :mrgreen: We have 4 other Mavericks (with a ck and some with a number..) I thought I was seeing something to start with!  :D

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
 :wlcome02:

Welcome Maverik

In regards to what you say about features - I suspect it is a combination of the Ford may have been a little a head of it's time (as you said) and Hyundai, possiably inc. Hyundai Australia, doing feature differentiation of models *and* badges (to use 'redbook' term - e.g Active vs Active X vs Premium) within models.   As you say at the 'price point'.

I mean some features are obviously more advanced, and cost more to make (and costed more to develop), so go in the higher badges.   But then there are others that aren't like that really, and seem only to be as a feature differentiator (i.e. sales tool).   A couple of examples of the latter that strike me, per hyundai.com.au, for the 'Premium' are: 1) a 'luggage net'; 2) fold-down rear passenger center arm-rest; and listed separately (though you can't really do it without the former) 3) cup holders in fold-down rear passenger center arm-rest.   Pretty sure none of those, esp. the luggage net (unless, or even if, the hook points are missing too), really cost that much extra to manufacture.

In anycase I am glad you are (very) happy with your purchase - and look forward to hearing what you think about it later on.

Once again :wlcome01:
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK

Offline Maverik

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
I suspect it is ... possibly Hyundai Australia, doing feature differentiation of models

Agree. The more expensive models have LED day lights, auto wipers, and other bits and pieces like that. Nothing that really made we want to throw another few thousand at the purchase though. For a general runabout its a magnificent medium size unit.
  • 2015 i30 Active X - Blue

Offline wbm00

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Midlands, UK

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
I suspect it is ... possibly Hyundai Australia, doing feature differentiation of models

Agree. The more expensive models have LED day lights, auto wipers, and other bits and pieces like that. Nothing that really made we want to throw another few thousand at the purchase though. For a general runabout its a magnificent medium size unit.

:agreed:   I am guessing they work on different people look at things differently, so they will get some who feel it is and/or also can afford it (if they desire).
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal