i30 Owners Club

Cabin filter

CraigB · 15 · 5813

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
If Hyundai try and tell you your cabin filter needs replacing then beware, they're probably full of crap and thinking you're a sucker, better priced ones can be found here.:link: Wesfil Cabin Air Pollen Filter WACF0158 fits Hyundai i30 1.6 CRDi (GD) | eBay

At my service 2 weeks ago Hyundai (Rockingham) informed me that my cabin filter was very dirty and needed replacing, I asked how much and was told $80 :faint: told them no way am I paying a ridiculous price like that for a paper filter and I questioned how they can justify that price, they answered with Hyundai spare parts are costly due to their excellent quality and having to get them from Korea :rolleyes:

Anyway, ordered the new filter from the ebay link above which arrived this evening, on pulling out the old filter to replace I discovered that the supposedly "very dirty" filter is actually still like new without any discolouration or smell and no debris :mad: at least now I have a new filter waiting for when it is actually due.

Also had a bitch to the service manager about the scratches across the rear bumper from the air hose used to check the spare tyre :disapp: luckily I was able to remove the scratches with ScratchX :)

Probably wont be returning to Hyundai service again now that the 3 years capped price servicing is up, their attention to detail and workmanship quality is lacking in several areas :disapp: 

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
can you post picture of the old filter and new next to it so we can see the "crap"?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Pretty sure you'll find that kind of service everywhere these days Craig,the cabin filters have gone down since I had one replaced by hyundai,that onbe cost me $121,I now get all my filters,oil and most other spares from a wholesaler in cannington.

I can get all my filters and Oil for one service less than $120,funnily enough the family that run the place are Korean  :lol:
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Price last time I bought one was £15
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
can you post picture of the old filter and new next to it so we can see the "crap"?
The old filter is replaced back in the car now but there was no "crap", still like new but it's the grey charcoal type.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Pretty sure you'll find that kind of service everywhere these days Craig,the cabin filters have gone down since I had one replaced by hyundai,that onbe cost me $121,I now get all my filters,oil and most other spares from a wholesaler in cannington.

I can get all my filters and Oil for one service less than $120,funnily enough the family that run the place are Korean  :lol:
When you said wholesaler in Cannington I was thinking it was Filters Elite until you mentioned they were Korean :snigger:

Yeah service standards have dropped in many places :disapp: but I have my trusty mechanic mate Eddy (Thornlie Automotives) who'll look after my baby in future :) all I need to supply is my oil which is only $44 + $14 for oil filter, the air cleaner is a K&N washable.

$80 for a paper filter is totally unjustifiable, even worse if they used to be even more expensive :eek:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I sold my 2010 cw in 2015 complete with the original cabin filter.

In my opinion their sole purpose is to create further revenue, along with the $15 oil tretement (to get rid og any sludge) $99 Air cond freshner and all the other crap they were peddling to innocent customers yesterday, most just nodded to the oil treatment, lets say $15 by 20 cars a day, $300 ($1500p/w 76k per year)  to the bottom line thanks. 5 suckers a day for the A/C another $500 ($2500pw, $125k per year) so on those rough estimates those two needless services are throwing an extra 200k in revenue, and I'm betting they don't cost much either.

If you really want to have fun, ask them why the genuine, expensive Korean cabin filter they want to sell you for $80 is on ebay for less than half that.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Totally agree about cabin filters.
Never changed one yet.
Drove for a long time before they were ever introduced without dying from "pollutants"
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
I drive about 20 000km in a year and i change the cabin filter once or twice during that time. My filter has been usually full of crap. And the birch trees near my parking spot aren´t helping.

• i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
If you really want to have fun, ask them why the genuine, expensive Korean cabin filter they want to sell you for $80 is on ebay for less than half that.
I did mention that while questioning their prices and got a blank look :head_butt:, they just hope most people are to lazy to bother looking elsewhere.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I drive about 20 000km in a year and i change the cabin filter once or twice during that time. My filter has been usually full of crap. And the birch trees near my parking spot aren´t helping.
Yeah that filter looks quite chocked, I'd vacuum it and drive it for another 20,000km's...and cut down those Birch trees :snigger:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Yeah Vacume, or blow it out with a compressor.

Reckon the dealers pick their service reception people from Maccas "would you like fries with that?" becomes "We recommend an oil Treatment to get rid of any sludge" and "At this time of year we recommend an A/C refresh to get rid of any bacteria"
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I'd love to slip some of them an honesty pill.. The boss has invested some new ways of ripping you off, would you like to hear them?

Mind you it is not the staff's fault. I was expected to do stuff like that at several of my previous jobs.  :spitty:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline druggist

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Hyundai i30 SX CRDi 1.6 manual CW 2010 MY11
I replaced my filters last month after 180 000km. They were pretty dirty.

Unfortunately I busted the clip on on the cover thingy that holds them in. I have taped  it back in but wondered if anybody knew the  name of the panel and clip that holds the air cabin filter in place? I want to try and replace it as the filter is rattling a little without the holder in place.

I paid $35.05 for the two Ryco filters here.

:link: Wesfil Cabin Air Pollen Filter WACF0158 fits Hyundai i30 1.6 CRDi (GD) | eBay

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

Unfortunately I busted the clip on on the cover thingy that holds them in. I have taped  it back in but wondered if anybody knew the  name of the panel and clip that holds the air cabin filter in place? I want to try and replace it as the filter is rattling a little without the holder in place.

I'd try a wreckers yard..  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal