i30 Owners Club

Fuel gauge problem - seems to be broken

Offline aspenlove

• 1st Gear

• fr France
I have a three year old Hyundai i30.  I haven't had any problems with it during this time.  However, I filled it up the other day from near empty (the orange light was on) to full.  I checked the pump and it was about the normal amount - 48 litres/55-60 Euros. 

Normally this usually shows up on my dashboard display at around 700km to go until the next fill up.  But this time it only showed up 590km which was strange but the gauge showed completely full.

I have been driving around and the gauge has not changed - i.e. it is still saying completely full but the display is saying now 500km to go as I have done a few trips to work etc.

I have tried opening the petrol cap but nothing changed.  I wondered if anyone had any suggestions or ideas?  Obviously I can take it into my normal Hyundai garage but it means a whole day without a car which needs quite a bit of diary planning.

Thanks in advance.
  • i30

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hi aspenlove

:wttc:

Well, that distance-to-empty reading I get after filling the tank is allways rubbish. I can drive 1100 km on on tank and then after filling up it shows only 800 km or something like that. i wouldn't actually worry about it as the display readings will adjust the longer you go, and after all it's just a calculation.

I'm sure you'll be able to drive the same distance as usual...  :D
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
The distance to empty can be influenced by the way the car has been driven.

So if by chance the car has be driven hard then the dte will be low but if gentle then dte will be high.

Reset all and drive your usual way and after say 100k's see what dte reads.

Or reset the ecu by disconecting the battery for 1 hour.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome aspenlove.

It is quite normal for most car fuel gauges to stay on full for a few short trips if you brimmed the tank. DTE can be all over the place at times as the others have said. Just drive until the fuel light come on... :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal