i30 Owners Club

HALO (Hyundai Active Locking Operation)

Thumper · 77 · 37240

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Thanks for the update and no need to apologise for bumping the thread :)

While we're here, are there any more "secret" features that we could get turned on or play with? Like the unadvertised way of turning the radio on/off by holding down the mode button?
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I know this topic is old news, but for those of you who were wondering, it is left OFF from the factory, and it is supposed to be part of the Pre-Delivery Inspection to turn it ON.

In UK this was initially ON when delivered.
But, I think, since late 2008 it is now OFF on delivery and the dealer activates it on request.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Mine was OFF when I picked Fergie up in March 2008. I got it switched ON

Offline MRH130

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

• Was Crystal the i30 SR, now Courtney the Getz-tacy
While we're here, are there any more "secret" features that we could get turned on or play with? Like the unadvertised way of turning the radio on/off by holding down the mode button?

hehe not that I'm aware of with i30s, the biggest thing most people don't realise is that they frequently have old software in their vehicles. But even when you get the most up-to-date stuff it's usually pretty hard to tell the difference.  :neutral:

Lots of cars do have special modes and stuff which can be fun to play with, but as far as I'm aware HALO is about the only thing you can turn on and off with the GDS on an i30. awww...  :wink:

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Thanks, MRH130, for your reply :)

Any chance of a wiring diagram for the dashboard electrics

Offline MRH130

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

um... well it's a bit naughty of me to do something like that, in fact they make us promise not to do that. I guess I don't work for them any more tho...

They don't do workshop manuals on paper any more, it's all on their secured website. I might be able to organise something, but can't promise at all...

What do you want to do?? :question:

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club

... find a wire that goes live when the key is removed, and back to 0V when ignition turned on. I want to add a LED that shows when the alarm is active. Not much to ask for really... surprised the i30 doesn't have a visible indicator already

Pip

... find a wire that goes live when the key is removed, and back to 0V when ignition turned on. I want to add a LED that shows when the alarm is active. Not much to ask for really... surprised the i30 doesn't have a visible indicator already
If there is no such wire, this can be simulated by finding a wire that is live (12 volts) all the time (to run the logic and LED) and then detecting a wire that goes live (12 volts) when the ignition is on, and zero volts when the ignition is off (such as the cig. lighter/aux power) to then light the LED only when the detected wire is zero volts.

Ignition on = LED off
Ignition off = LED on

A bit of extra logic to pulse the light or use a flashing LED and you're done.

Something like a 555 could be used to detect the 12/0 volt transition and also be used for the pulsed output but it could be much simpler if you know how... maybe someone else can help.

However this will not really indicate the state of the alarm system but merely whether the ignition is on or off.

My house has an empty box with a blue light mounted visible to the street and I've not been burgled for 20 years  :)
I might regret saying that  :'(

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Thanks Pip. The self-contained blue LED has a flashing circuit built in so I don't need a timer chip. However your suggestion should work fine of coupling it up to +ve permanent, and +ve when accessories are on.

As you said it would be better to get to the line that indicates the alarm is armed, but I'm not holding my breath.

Thanks mate

Offline MRH130

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

I've wondered about why there is no light for the alarm too, it's a bit of an oversight.

I can't think of a wire that would meet the conditions you want, I would suggest something like what Pip has suggested. That sounds like a good idea.

When the ignition is off, the BCM pretty much kills the whole electrical system to save power. Sorry... :o)

lindlake
i had my halo turn on at its first servive i love it can you turn off the seat belt buzzer

Offline 130MAN

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia
Mines also not activated, picked it up a week ago.

One big question I have wrt to the crash unlock feature is say the car is parked, locked, engine off at the shopping centre, some muppet hits the car with a trolley or their car, will the system register this as a crash? Therefore unlocking the vehicle and allowing anyone to jump in a drive away?

True, but they still need a key to drive away

ouri30
Mines also not activated, picked it up a week ago.

One big question I have wrt to the crash unlock feature is say the car is parked, locked, engine off at the shopping centre, some muppet hits the car with a trolley or their car, will the system register this as a crash? Therefore unlocking the vehicle and allowing anyone to jump in a drive away?

True, but they still need a key to drive away

I can't say for certain, but surely the HALO system would know the difference between a car being crashed into when it is parked (and locked manually) and a crash that happens when the car has HALO activated through the 40kph when travelling.

What do you think?

Bob

ouri30
Hey, what is happening with quotes at the moment?  In the past, the quoted bit has been on a white background, but the rest of the post is on a black background. 

Anyone else noticed?

Bob

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hey, what is happening with quotes at the moment?  In the past, the quoted bit has been on a white background, but the rest of the post is on a black background. 

Anyone else noticed?

Bob

Fixed.

Offline 130MAN

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Australia
My Halo came switched on.
Activates when I reach 40mph.

My husband was in the car  waiting for me, when I came back he told me that the
car locked itself after a minute or so. Key was out of ignition.

Is this Normal?

Offline tzwientjuh

• 5th Gear

• be Belgium
      Belgium

Is this Normal?
I Guess so. If you forgot to lock the doors, the car will lock itself.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

Is this Normal?

My HALO activates at 15 mph not 40.

Mine only locks if the car has been locked and then unlock it but do not open any door.  
It auto locks after 1 minute.  
Never had it auto lock on me after I have got out, with or without the key in the ignition.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
My HALO activates at 15 mph not 40.

I think they meant to say 40kph.. :question:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

lindlake

um... well it's a bit naughty of me to do something like that, in fact they make us promise not to do that. I guess I don't work for them any more tho...

They don't do workshop manuals on paper any more, it's all on their secured website. I might be able to organise something, but can't promise at all...

What do you want to do?? :question: do you know out to turn off seat belt buzzer

Pip
Hi,

I don't have a problem with it apart from the single most annoying exception being that when I stop (after the HALO has activated and locked all the doors - thank you... goodness) the back seat passengers then cannot get out without first manually unlocking the door at the door itself (not ideal, particularly as my rear passengers are most often unfamiliar with the car) or else I unlock them by either turning off the ignition or pressing the "unlock" button at the driver's door armrest.

Why-oh-why cannot the rear doors be opened by simply using the inside door handle in the same way the front doors can?

They behave as though the child locks were activated when they are not... STUPID!!! STUPID!!! STUPID!!!

I'm going to have HALO disabled at my next service which will remove an otherwise excellent feature.

Offline srdj

• 2nd Gear

• cs Serbia
      Belgrade
okay, my problem MAY be related to the topic so i wont open new thread

here's the thing,
I do not yet know for sure if my Halo is activated. Haven't noticed (heard) autolocking at any speed (i even sometimes locked the doors manualy for safety so im quite sure that i didnt hear the same sound activate itself at any time)
So here is the probelm. When the car is stoped, keys IN&OUT of the ignition the rear door wont open from inside at all!! I get out of the car, and only then i can open the door for the back passenger!
Tried to lock from the remote, then unlock again and try to open-nothing.
It drowe me crazy the other day when i poped in the back to check something and found myself locked in. Than had to jump over to the front seat just to let myself out.
What bugs me is that i only noticed this yesterday and it was fine before. Could i have done something that altered the system?
Anyone had similar problems?
Im going on service for aligning the headlights tuesday so i wiil definitely ask about this, but anyway i'd like as much information as i can get from you guys

Cheers, Srdjan  :>

Offline tji30

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Toowoomba

• Toowoomba, Queensland - White i30 SR (at last)
I do not yet know for sure if my Halo is activated. Haven't noticed (heard) autolocking at any speed (i even sometimes locked the doors manualy for safety so im quite sure that i didnt hear the same sound activate itself at any time)

If the HALO system is active & locks the doors you will definitely notice it. It works the same way as if you'd press the door lock button yourself in that there is a load "clunk" as the doors lock & the internal door locks engage (it the buttons all snap closed). Sounds like yours isn't turned on.

So here is the probelm. When the car is stoped, keys IN&OUT of the ignition the rear door wont open from inside at all!! I get out of the car, and only then i can open the door for the back passenger!

Sounds like someone has flicked the child lock switch. You'll find it in the door sill on the door itself. You have to open the door to see it.

Offline srdj

• 2nd Gear

• cs Serbia
      Belgrade
hmm, my dad took the car to a car wash the other day so maybe they messed with that button..
where exactly is it?
im going to the closet to find the manual right now  : )

Pip
hmm, my dad took the car to a car wash the other day so maybe they messed with that button..
where exactly is it?
im going to the closet to find the manual right now  : )
Look in the vicinity of the door catch... on the door itself - bend down to find it.  There will be a little mechanical "switch".  It's too cold to have a look myself to be more specific but you should find it from that.

They are designed to do just what you found... kids cannot open an unlocked door from inside but an adult can from outside.  Absolutely nothing to do with HALO.

Offline srdj

• 2nd Gear

• cs Serbia
      Belgrade

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
found it. fixed it.
thanks a lot  : )

Splendid :D

"Sorting out the world's i30 problems one at a time... i30ownersclub style"

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
found it. fixed it.
thanks a lot  : )

Not that there are many of them .. but wish they were all that easy to fix!
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline tji30

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Toowoomba

• Toowoomba, Queensland - White i30 SR (at last)
found it. fixed it.

Glad I could help. I only know where it is because my 2 youngest kids (11 & 7) take great joy in locking each others child lock without the other knowing until they go to open the door.

Offline Merlot

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Hunter Valley
This so called HALO device is fitted to a lot of European cars and just the other day there was a JAGUAR up here in the hunter valley that was being driven by an amateur rally driver who lost control on a dirt road in a vineyard rolled it and slid into a dam luckily for those inside where it went in was not deep enough to submerge the whole car and they had a 200mm pocket of air to breathe in. Also lucky that the vineyard owner was nearby ,but was unable to get the doors open because the doors had automatically locked . As the keys were underwater the driver understandably was probably more worried about finding air to breathe than taking the keys from the ignition. As the car slipped slowly into deeper water the vineyard owner was able to hook up the JAG to his tractor and pull it out of the dam now slightly longer [the JAG] than the specs state. The driver and his passenger survived but the breath test proved a little more expensive the Jag may be a wreck but he doesn't have a license to drive it now anyway. Good invention or not? You be the judge. :lol:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal