i30 Owners Club

Fuel gauge keeps reading empty!

muller · 7 · 7921

Offline muller

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      hunter valley, nsw
Hi 🙋

My 2014 1.6l i30 3dr SE (8500km) is having some really odd issues with its fuel gauge. I'll have a fairly full tank and start the car and it will read empty! No marks on the meter  and the empty light will be flashing. It can occur for the entire journey(40 minutes+) or just for 2 minutes, then the light will stop flashing and each little mark on the meter will miraculously start filling up whilst driving! It also happens completely randomly, might do it twice one week and then not at all for the rest of the month. I've taken it to local Hyundai dealer and they can't find anything wrong with it :( typically it was working fine when they had it.

I'm new to this forum so if anyone has any ideas that would be much appreciated.

Muller
  • i30

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I would suggest that the fuel sender unit inside the tank is sticking.  It should be replaced.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
Hi and welcome to the forum!
:wttc:

It sounds like you have an erratic fuel level sensor, or the wiring leading up to it. As you say it happens intermittently it will be a difficult thing to prove to the dealers.

The only option I can think of would be to mount a little camera on your dash and have it record the whole time whilst pointing to your fuel gauge in the hopes that it exhibits the same issue.

Otherwise (and this is a long shot), maybe see if you can borrow someone's OBDII reader and install Torque on a Android phone or tablet and set it up to log the fuel level data. Hopefully this will be able to prove to the dealership that the sensor is faulty and giving false readings, but I am not sure whether they would accept log files as proof - my money would be on the camera option; at least then you will have photographic evidence of the fault that they cannot seem to reproduce.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out :goodjob2:
  • 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :welcum: muller.. I can't add much to those two helpful posts, sorry!  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hi muller

:wttc:

I'm with Wabbit here, it's propably the only way to prove it.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline muller

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      hunter valley, nsw
Well thanks loads all for your input. I've just booked it in at the dealer again this Friday and I'll be letting them know your thoughts. If (or when) it happens this week I'll for sure have the camera on the dash to take with me. I'll report back with what they say.

Thanks again for your help
Muller
  • i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
:goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal