i30 Owners Club

Expected better fuel consumption!!

Offline Bubbacpt

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      West Lothian

• i30 1.6 CRDi SE NAV
Bought an i30 1.6 CRDi Active Blue Drive 6 speed 2014 plate last week, car has 13500 miles on clock but average fuel consumption had been reset to zero. Handbook says upto 73.6 mpg but I'm getting no where near that, currently reading 43.8 mpg. Mainly driving local during day and 2 junctions on motorway at night to and from work. Should this figure rise the more I use the car?
What do you get from your car??
  • Hyundai i30 1.6 CRDi SE NAV 6 speed manual

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
How many km's since the reset?
Your local driving will definitely have an effect on consumption, but I don't have any experience with Blue Drive.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline Bubbacpt

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      West Lothian

• i30 1.6 CRDi SE NAV
Approximately 375 MILES
  • Hyundai i30 1.6 CRDi SE NAV 6 speed manual

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
You need to do brim to brim fills and manual calculations to get a true picture but I would have thought high 50's was achievable with mixed driving.

Driving style has a lot to do with it.. I find after having had a diesel and 2 hybrid cars my driving style became much more economical. :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
You Guys need to go metric  :P

I have the 5 speed version with 225.000 km on the odo and daily commute is 2x25 km mainly A-roads @ 85 km/h

I average 5,0 L/100 km
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
You Guys need to go metric  :P

I have the 5 speed version with 225.000 km on the odo and daily commute is 2x25 km mainly A-roads @ 85 km/h

I average 5,0 L/100 km

= 56.5mpg

I have always kept fuel records on a 'brim to brim' basis and my 2011 1.6 diesel  with 40000+ miles regularly returns ± 49mpg over a tankful.  The car computer will vary from my calculations by as much as 3-4 mpg. The best I ever got was 450 miles on  German autobahns which returned 65mpg at an average of 85mph and a maximum speed of 112mph (by gps on sat nav and a speed camera device)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
A bit off topic with mine being a 1.6 petrol but currently I'm on 745.9km's and one bar left ( not flashing ), once the last bar starts flashing I can estimate another 50km's to go so I'm expecting around 800km's out of this tank of Shell V Power with 50/50 Hwy and about town :happydance:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

A bit off topic with mine being a 1.6 petrol but currently I'm on 745.9km's and one bar left ( not flashing ), once the last bar starts flashing I can estimate another 50km's to go so I'm expecting around 800km's out of this tank of Shell V Power with 50/50 Hwy and about town :happydance:
Yes, the 1.6 GDi motor is one of Hyundai's best efforts as far as economical petrol engines goes + it seems happy with 91 as well...

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I've never used 91 in mine Dazz, no cleaning additives in the 91 rated fuels :disapp: and the improvement I'm seeing with the V Power compared to 98 means I'll permanently be using the V Power from now on :)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I've never used 91 in mine Dazz, no cleaning additives in the 91 rated fuels :disapp: and the improvement I'm seeing with the V Power compared to 98 means I'll permanently be using the V Power from now on :)

I might treat Trish (well her car anyway) to a tank of 98 or V power when she runs low and see if she notices a difference (It is way dearer than 91 over her though - about 12 to 15c a litre I think?)

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero

I might treat Trish (well her car anyway) to a tank of 98 or V power when she runs low and see if she notices a difference (It i sway dearer than 91 over her though - about 12 to 15c a litre I think?)

Do it Dazz. It's only $5-6 more per tank. I've been trying to get this through the wife's head. But talking cars to her is just like being at work, I get nowhere :P
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Handbook says upto 73.6 mpg but I'm getting no where near that

I can get near that on a long down hill stretch with a tailwind..........

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

I might treat Trish (well her car anyway) to a tank of 98 or V power when she runs low and see if she notices a difference (It i sway dearer than 91 over her though - about 12 to 15c a litre I think?)

Do it Dazz. It's only $5-6 more per tank.
Yep :goodjob2: the V Power is definitely far better than BP 98, I could instantly feel the bottom end improvements with it being a bit more zippy and it revs easier - idles up easier from cold start with the anti friction additives, the engine just feels more loose/free.

In the early half of the tank I was flooring it a bit just to test and get the feel of it, then reverted back to normal driving later so I'm pretty surprised that I'm still looking at 800'km's out of this tank considering how much of it I would have wasted on stuffing around :whistler:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Do it Dazz. It's only $5-6 more per tank. I've been trying to get this through the wife's head. But talking cars to her is just like being at work, I get nowhere :P

$5 to $6 a tank!   :Shocked: :sweating: ($hit, we'll be on bread and dripping for tea!)  :fum:

Mind you I'll cross to the other side of the road to pick up 50c someone else dropped!  :whistler: :lol:

Offline EmpiriuS88

• 2nd Gear

• si Slovenia
      Velenje
Hey guys. Have you considered about tires??? Which fuel efficiency class tires are you using? I don't have my i30 yet, but I'm going with C or B graded fuel consumption tires. Don't know how much that effects consumption in general, but I will find out in near future :)
  • 2014 GD 3 Door Hatch , 1.6 CRDi, manual

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hey guys. Have you considered about tires??? Which fuel efficiency class tires are you using? I don't have my i30 yet, but I'm going with C or B graded fuel consumption tires. Don't know how much that effects consumption in general, but I will find out in near future :)

:wttc:

Good idea, but only once the originals are worn out as cost of replacement wont be offset by economy...  :cool:

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
You need to do a proper manual check on the economy to determine the exact mpg.

Brim the tank - and I mean literally brim the tank to the point of over-flowing. Note the odometer reading

Now use the car until the fuel level warning comes on and brim the tank again to the point of over-flowing. Note the odometer reading and the amount of fuel added.

The quantity of fuel you add is what the car has consumed since the last refill.
You can now :-
Convert the number of litres to gallons (No. of litres x 0.22 equals gallons).
Subtract one odometer reading from the other to obtain distance covered
Divide this distance by No of gallons used and you will get an accurate mpg figure.

Another check that may be worth doing is to check how accurate your odometer is. I checked mine on a 150 mile journey on the M5 comparing the distance covered as indicated by the motorway kilometre distance boards and my odometer (converted to kilometres). My last 3 cars have all under-read the distance actually covered by between 2.2% and 2.8%. Hence, when the odometer shows I have done 100 miles - I have actually done upwards of 102.5 etc.

Regarding low rolling resistance eco tyres - in the UK the i30 range come equipped with them from new - and eco tyres tend to be noisy.

Take a look at this old thread - it charts the fuel economy history of my 2013 GD i30 1.6 diesel. It also shows in red the distances between each DPF regeneration which is a significant factor in reducing (worsening) overall economy.

:link: Car Now 12 Months Old - Fuel Consumption History
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 09:36:49 by AlanHo »
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Despite claims to the contrary, maybe a couple of tanks of fuel over the life of the tyres
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
And I'm with Dazz on the $5 a tank. :fum:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
I always average 5.3 - 5.7litres per 100 with my i30cw 5spd Diesel. I usually get between 980km to 1050km out of 53 liters. I only use Caltex Diesel.

That is split between 65% Stop start driving between 60-80km, 10% giving the i30 a good booting and 25% Highway Driving at 100km
  • 05 Hyundai Elantra Elite 5spd 2.0 Petrol, Black Sedan

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen

:wttc:

Good idea, but only once the originals are worn out as cost of replacement wont be offset by economy...  :cool:

And the extra cost of the eco tyres over here Dazz, very quickly uses any savings you may benefit plus some
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

Another check that may be worth doing is to check how accurate your odometer is. I checked mine on a 150 mile journey on the M5 comparing the distance covered as indicated by the motorway kilometre distance boards and my odometer (converted to kilometres). My last 3 cars have all under-read the distance actually covered by between 2.2% and 2.8%. Hence, when the odometer shows I have done 100 miles - I have actually done upwards of 102.5 etc.

I agree with that.  Several checks over long distances using motorway marker posts and two GPS systems all show that the odometer  under-reads by 3%.

Edit: that was with new tyres. As tyres wear the smaller diameter will decrease the under-read by around 1%
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 17:18:01 by baroudeur »

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery
:link: Diesel Fuel consumption FAQ

Now seeing under 5 on the highway and 7 round town after 20000km which I find perfectly satisfactory. Driving style and conditions have more impact than anything else on consumption I find. The cars come with eco tires so there is little point changing them for a different brand while there is still life in them.

The economy improves as the engines get more miles on them, and I suspect as drivers become attuned to driving diesels to extract the best economy.

A final point, reset the fuel consumption counter ahead of a motorway trip and see how you go.
  • i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Offline h2Olondon

• 2nd Gear
Hi.
My 2011 1.6 D comfort auto gets around 41 to 42 mpg. Thats based on fill to brim checks but using car mileometer for distance.
On that basis and other manual cars i am told around 45 is reasonable. I am not sure why the blue motion should do better except your tyres are thinner and may be higher geared?
I used to get around 50mpg  in a manual seat leon 1.9 and my daughter got 50 mph plus a bit more in a blue motion vw golf 1.9 too.
Yours might loosen up bit more but mine has kept that mpg and the time from 2k up to 40 k now!

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
As it's an auto, it isn't really fair to compare with manual vehicles. Blue motion (when it works),  :snigger: cuts the motor when the vehicle is stopped, so that has to use less juice and manuals are still more efficient than autos.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire
Handbook says upto 73.6 mpg but I'm getting no where near that

I can get near that on a long down hill stretch with a tailwind..........
and I get that if I'm being towed  :rofl:

I think i said in another post I got 50mpg @ 70mph and 60mpg @ 60mph fuel meter reading on motorway no brim to brim...and 29.9mpg knocking around town this was a brim to brim
  • 2013 5D 1.6 CRDi Style Nav auto white

Offline h2Olondon

• 2nd Gear
hi, notice you have moved to the Venga petrol from I30 diesel and presumably did not like the Ix20? Would be interested in your reasoning as am thinking of changing my I30 for the IX20 but diesel
as live in North east where traffic is light and distances greater. I may ditch my I30 auto diesel for the IX20 manual diesel , though wife prefers auto despite the mpg  drop. New DSG technology is
narrowing the difference though. What mpg do you get on Venga? As you know the Hyundai and possibly Kia computer fuel readings do not work like VW or Vauxhall or Ford which give the distance till
refuelling at fill up based on current MPG then they work backwards updating on current mpg towards zero. Hyundai will show the estimated distance to refuelling based on previous journeys and you will notice that the distanced traveled by odometer will show 100 miles but the reduction shown to the distance to refuelling will only be 90  less. These distances tend to get more in line as the tank nears empty.
What I am trying to say is that on fill up the computer reading will only show that you can travel 420 till fill up but I know I will actually be able to travel 500 or so before fill up. Therefore the system is
in my view a poor one.
Sorry for rambling on but am interested in your reasons for the Venga, i.e. the ride height is better than the I30?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

This is a link to Alan's thread about his Venga... I'm sure he will probably comment in this thread as well when he sees it!

:link: I'm Changing Cars

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal