i30 Owners Club

i30 USB MP3 player - playing up!

Offline hyundai_on_thames

• 2nd Gear
Had 5 great years of reliable service from the USB MP3 player, where I put USB sticks in with long podcasts. Shortly after the warranty expires the USB player starts to reset itself at random moments while playing. It then goes back to the first track on the stick. Frustrating as you can never find the same place again in a long podcast.

Tried:
- Reformatting the sticks with FAT32
- Different brands of stick

Anyone else been seeing this issue and found a cure?

My interim solution is a Sansa Clip player connected to the AUX in 3.5mm socket.
Works quite well actually just fiddly to control while driving.

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire
I use one similar, a philips go gear but it plugs into the usb port and it works with the car's controls
  • 2013 5D 1.6 CRDi Style Nav auto white

Offline hyundai_on_thames

• 2nd Gear
I tried an MP3 player that was connected only via the USB socket. The controls worked. But I was still getting the same resetting issue.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
It is possible that the 4 wires on the usb and or the connector are not making permanent contact. You could try gently pressing on the mp3 connector to slightly close the aperture of the device. This would apply more pressure in use.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Aye30

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
I had something similar on our i20. When I plugged the usb into the computer, I noticed slight variations on the affected tracks, i.e the file size was slightly different from the original track and it was missing other properties. It was as if the usb had been corrupted.

Offline RuudH

• 2nd Gear

• nl Netherlands
      Bunschoten
Hi,

I've recently bought a Hyundai i30 and the problem with the USB stick is also known to me.
I've tried a 32Gb drive but it started over again after power off, now I use a 2GB stick and picks up where it left off.
Sorry, but i dont have a solution for this problem.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 20:59:18 by RuudH »
  • 2009 i30 CW Automatic gear

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
I had the exact same issue and I found that it depends on the brand of flash drive used.

I have a little 8GB TDK that I love, but it also wouldn't remember the track position and sometimes it would quit working. I used a tool to halve the partition size (thereby giving me 4GB of usable space) and touch wood it seems as if that worked.
  • 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I'm currently running a Sandisk Cruzer Fit 32gb flash drive with no problems...  :goodjob:

Offline Rogmur

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West London

• Our i30 With no one else around
Hi Everyone,

This is very alarming to say the least, (especially as our i30 is reaching the end of the 5 Year Warranty).

I use numerous makes of USB Flash Drives all around 16 Gig, with no problem.
However, 2 years ago I did experience a problem with one USB drive playing up, (Bytestor)
but it was after using it with a LCD TV with a USB port (to play music).
Afterwards trying to use it in our i30's USB port it would not recognise it and even trying to reformat it did not work.

So I am not sure if using the USB device in other gadgets (such as TV's) may corrupt the USB Drives, just a theory.
I only use our 16 Gig USB drives with our car, and not with other devices except with my PC to upload music.
Also I wonder what format of music people use on their USB drives?
I do hope this is not going to become an issue of anxiety as I am very fond of the USB player and prefer it to the CD player.

Best wishes to you all

Roger the Dodger

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Try formatting with Fat32 and an allocation unit size of 64kilobytes. I had to use this small allocation size to make my 16GB stick work reliably. Allocation unit size probably of less importance if the stick is 8GB or less.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Rogmur@ going on what the audio manual say's MP3 and WMA are the only audio formats compatible with the unit and the flash/thumb drive needs to be formatted in FAT32.

Offline Rogmur

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West London

• Our i30 With no one else around
Hi Craig B

Your absolutey right MP3 and WMA only.

Mind you, I only ever copy music to the USB drive at 320Kbps and nothing less.

Incidently I have just thought, could the problem with faulty USB drives be caused
by electro static discharge?
For instance if the USB drive is left in the USB port when the car is started this could
damage the drive, thus corrupting it.

Hope that's helpful.

Kindest wishes
Rogmur (Roger the Dodger)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal