i30 Owners Club

2.0 Ltr Manual Petrol versus 1.6 CRDi Manual 85kw (115HP)

Dazzler · 27 · 7376

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Things have been a little quiet on the site the last couple of days so I thought I'd start a couple of "discussion" topics...

Being one of only a few who have lived with both the 2.0 Petrol & 1.6 Crdi I thought I would give an honest summary and comparison of the two engines..(now this is only MY opinion)...

My first observation is that after living with the 2.0 petrol for about 6 weeks it is a better motor than I expected.. Compared to the Diesel it will spin more quickly (as expected) and pull smoothly from lower revs ...

On the reverse side the CRDI has an anti-stall function and is almost impossible to stall whereas the 2.0 ltr petrol is quite easy to stall until you get used to giving it a few revs when you pull away..

The 2.0 ltr can be fun on a Traffic Light Derby  :) feels quite zippy from a standing start while the the CRDi can feel a bit sluggish when taking off but soon gets into stride once on the move.

On the highway the 2.0 will get up and go but nothing special on hills and really needs to be dropped down at least one gear on a decent climb where the CRDi will maintain or even increase speed in the same circumstances without changing down.

It appears that in the real world there is a minimum 2.0 LPH more fuel needed by the Petrol version compared to the CRDi in the same driving conditions..

Now although it costs approx A$2500 more for the equivalent CRDi model atleast half of that should be recouped on trade or resale (from my experience and research)

Overall the CRDI is the better (more satisfying) motor when highway cruising but not by the large margin I originally suspected.. :winker:

• 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
so how many kilometers do you go on a full tank with the 2.0 petrol, before re-filling?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Haven't done that exercise yet John but estimating around 650.. Yeah I know that is another benefit of the Diesel  :goodjob:

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
i used to go 750k to 800k on 75L tank with my 5.4L V8 ute country driving & 550 to 600k Syd CBD & sub's. the distance a car can go on a tank full is important to me 1,100k again on my last tank and light just came on i'll fill tonight thats not

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I can't get 600 km to a tank with the 2.0 petrol

But I believe yours is an Auto Neptune...So that is the difference  :winker:

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I can't get 600 km to a tank with the 2.0 petrol

But I believe yours is an Auto Neptune...So that is the difference  :winker:

You are correct Daz.... :goodjob:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
did 1,100k put 56L in tank to full thats country & city & crossing blue mountains useing airconditioning most of the time so happy as was driving brisk not shooting for economy. today in Sydney i got Vortex Premium Diesel for same price the servo was selling E10 95 premium pertrol was 10cents more 98 premium petrol was 15cents more.
how many Liters do you get into the petrol tank to fill right up when low warning light comes on?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

how many Liters do you get into the petrol tank to fill right up when low warning light comes on?

Trish just puts x amount of dollars in (doesn't bother with how many litres)

Hopefully some other Petrol owners have taken note.. :goodjob:

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
i just fill it till it clicks,then i round the dollars off.  :razz:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
I think I'm seeing a trend...........

Interesting to see the 2 mentalities........  :P

Regards

Daniel

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
the first year i observed the amount of litres going in,but not so often now.  i know how much I'm using a week. its way less than my old v8 fairlane of $100-$150 a week.  :scared: :mrgreen:  do you still check it whitbomb?  :razz:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

The Petrol i30 is by no means a gas guzzler.. but I do notice the difference in how much the guage has moved compared to what it did in the CRDi (or even compared to the Hybrid which is closer than the CRDi economy than it is to the Petrol CW)

The price of Petrol now is not helping either!!

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
Lakes keeps every receipt... :eek:

So do I! I used to have a log book too until it fell out of the door one day when I was in a rush and didn't notice, found it a week later, after a weeks worth of rain...........  :'(

do you still check it whitbomb?

I watch every litre, and never pay attention to the $'s!  :D

Regards

Daniel

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
i meant whitbomb,not lakes.  :-[ the petrol compared to the diesel has a massive torque difference that i noticed on my last cruise day with gaz and russ. but I'm very happy with my petrol i30.  :mrgreen:

Offline druggist

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Hyundai i30 SX CRDi 1.6 manual CW 2010 MY11
10000km in my manual 1.6L CDi SX Wagon half on F3 at 110kmh balance around the suburbs, so far averaging 5.44 L/100km or 52 MPG. I averaged 7.77 L/100km or 36 MPG in my manual 2001 Toyota Corolla Seca over 220000km.

Very happy with the torque of the diesel, but it took a while to learn to drive it properly, keeping it to its narrower power range.

One other surprise compared to my 5 previous Corollas is the legroom in the back seat. I drive to work with my briefcase behind the driver's seat, and it often falls almost over, never happened in the Corolla. My leggy teenagers are much happier.

Only disappointment are the standard Kumho tyres poor road holding. Can't wait to swap for some Bridgestone Turanzas or Michelins.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
druggist the stock Kumhos felt ok to me ( SX CRDi ) at start i had 15" steel wheels & Kumhos, then through this forum i found new SLX 16" wheels that had brand new Kumhos. i thought they were ok, it might be the pressure you run in them?
at the start i was always running 40psi front & back. but have since changed to 38psi front 34psi rear & with my new michelin Pilot 3 sport the car really handles well for what it is. wet weather traction is outstanding and steering is improved, i have not noticed an economy gain over the Kumho but i'm sold on my Michelin, but i'm sure it's not the only good tyre out there.

Dazz is right about me keeping every Recept since new, but as yet i have not added up total cost of fuel. at the start of my CRDi experience that was when China were stock piling Diesel fuel and i was paying up to $2 per litre. looks like all fuel will go up again soon too & for a very sad reason one way or another.

Offline neptune

• V.I.P

• au Australia

when warning light comes on , it takes 45lts to fill....

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia

when warning light comes on , it takes 45lts to fill....

neptune that is 11 or 12Lt less than my CRDi takes to fill up when light comes on, i just thought they used same size tank?

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
You're right, Lakes....it's a 53 litre tank right across the range, including CW.... :goodjob:

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
You're right, Lakes....it's a 53 litre tank right across the range, including CW.... :goodjob:

They say 53, but I have (and I'm sure Lakes and others can testify too) fit 57-58 in to the brim on a regular basis.........and didn't have to push the car to the servo!

Regards

Daniel

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
The extra fuel capacity is because of the extra long filler pipe..... :-\

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
the first year i observed the amount of litres going in,but not so often now.  i know how much I'm using a week. its way less than my old v8 fairlane of $100-$150 a week.  :scared: :mrgreen:  do you still check it whitbomb?  :razz:

That could change in the future if the price of fuel keeps rising, what was the cost of 1 litre of 95 octain when you had Fairlane & what is the cost of 1 Litre 95 octain today? also how many litres per week did Fairlane use how many Litres a week does the i30 petrol use?
I fill the company Hi Ace petrol up yesturday & E10 was $1.46.9 95octaine $1.56.9 98 Octaine $1.61.9 Diesel $1.48.9 that was just at servo i filled at the 2.7L 4 cylinder petrol Auto Hi Ace 12,000k's up uses 14L/100K same as my 5.4L V8 did in same conditions the V8 could improve to 12L/100k in same conditions if i drove slow the Hi Ace does not seem to care if i drive slow it still drinks at same rate, but it looks like a Fridge on wheels so no airo dinamic's LOL cheers

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
The extra fuel capacity is because of the extra long filler pipe..... :-\

Very possible Rusty, also the filler pipe is nice and fat with no trap door at the top, the petrol has the restrictive skinny filler pipe with small trap door to only allow small unlead pump's in, this is another reason why diesel pumps pump at a faster rate & you need to take care, petrol take a long time to fill as the flow at the pump slower.
Sorry to go off topic, but a friend bought a new Focus Diesel a year ago, i was trying to explaine how to fill right up, and they look just like the petrol they have a more restrictive filler pipe with a flap at the end, it only just takes the low flow diesel, you can not use the hi flow truck pump to fill a Focus, BUT you CAN use the Hi Flow truck pump to fill the i30 i have had to a few times when the normal diesel pump was out or had a problem. so it's good we have opption.
if all this trouble continues in middle east expect fuel shortages then diesel will be the fuel as will be big lines up at petrol pumps.

Offline mantaray

• 3rd Gear
Having driven a V8 most of my life, before buying this car -the crdi, I can't stand the act of revving a car to its limit to get it going( I also was a Dozer driver). I love power, but the torque type not the rev out type. I even prefer to ride a four stroke trail bike, a big single pot 600cc ( ahh memories of a grander time before old man time caught up with me).

Offline Ozbrum

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Mandurah, WA
I'm quite pleased with most things in my 2010 cw auto trophy which has now done 9000 km but economy and road noise feed back are not worthy of any praise ....... I'm lucky to get 550 km from a tank of normal mixture of driving conditions, which equates to roughly 8.9ltr per 100km and the sound intrusion or tyre noise at 90kph on some bitumen surfaces near where I live is awful .... intrusive is an understatement (16" titanium alloys).

As I've said before I also have a 2007 Sonata 3.3 180kw (chipped) which returns 8.5ltr per 100km of normal driving and is like a quiet sports car in comparison.

Sorry guys if this shows a negative response to the i30 praises  :cool:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I'm quite pleased with most things in my 2010 cw auto trophy which has now done 9000 km but economy and road noise feed back are not worthy of any praise ....... I'm lucky to get 550 km from a tank of normal mixture of driving conditions, which equates to roughly 8.9ltr per 100km and the sound intrusion or tyre noise at 90kph on some bitumen surfaces near where I live is awful .... intrusive is an understatement (16" titanium alloys).

As I've said before I also have a 2007 Sonata 3.3 180kw (chipped) which returns 8.5ltr per 100km of normal driving and is like a quiet sports car in comparison.

Sorry guys if this shows a negative response to the i30 praises  :cool:

Fair call m8 .. you can only say it as it is  :goodjob: (admire you for that)  :winker:

Having driven a V8 most of my life, before buying this car -the crdi, I can't stand the act of revving a car to its limit to get it going( I also was a Dozer driver). I love power, but the torque type not the rev out type. I even prefer to ride a four stroke trail bike, a big single pot 600cc ( ahh memories of a grander time before old man time caught up with me).

Very deep and meaningful  :eek: :goodjob:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal