i30 Owners Club

POWER STEERING FAILURE 2010 diesel

Offline Sandhu2211

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Hi,
      I have four year old Hyundai i30 diesel. Misses was driving on M5 and all of a sudden steering wheel was locked. EPS and ESP lights were on.Luckily she was driving slowly cause of heavy traffic. After couple of restarts it worked and we booked service with Hyundai campbelltown. They advised that issue was it lost calibration and it is fixed now. This morning
It failed again and we can't even move the steering wheel. EPS and ESP lights on again. Called Hyundai road assistance and they have towed it back to the service center. Can you please advise as this is common problem with 2010 i30 cw diesel and please advise as what steps I should take. Probably complain to the head office. Misses is pretty scared to touch the car as she drives on M5 highway
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 02:52:24 by Sandhu2211 »
  • I30 cw diesel

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Given that it has been towed to a dealer, it should be a warranty fix, however, if that was my car, I'd be ensuring that they replace the WHOLE steering unit as the only satisfactory repair option.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Sandhu2211

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Thanks Phil. I will contact them on Monday.
  • I30 cw diesel

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome Sandhu2211,

Sorry to hear that, it is not common, but has been reported on here from time to time. I can understand your wife feeling apprehensive.  :disapp:

Having happened twice now I would be tactful but firm with them. You want it fixed properly this time. If they are not totally supportive hint at consumer affairs and or media intervention. Nearly all brands are going to electronic power steering now and unfortunately a certain amount do fail.

The only good news is that yours happened inside the warranty period.  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Sandhu2211

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Many thanks Dazzler. Yes I will be this time. Won't take chances. Looks like some electronic issue as I have blown few head light globes as well., may be 6-7 in last 4 years
  • I30 cw diesel

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Many thanks Dazzler. Yes I will be this time. Won't take chances. Looks like some electronic issue as I have blown few head light globes as well., may be 6-7 in last 4 years

The globes blowing in the diesel is a separate issue which seems unrelated to the steering failure.

For some reason it seems to happen more in diesel versions and appears to be related to an earthing issue. In Europe some members have had a fix applied by the dealer under a TSB (technical service bulletin) but haven't heard of any fixes being applied in Australia. Do some searches on here and you will find plenty of info on the steering and the globes...  :cool:

Offline Sandhu2211

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Yes, plenty of threads on diesel blowing headlight bulbs. Thanks Dazzler. Just got a call from Hyundai and they advised me that problem is coming from electric steering column and they will replace the part and the car will be ready by tomorrow. Does this sounds right? Thinking of getting a new car now.
  • I30 cw diesel

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Don't think about new cars as they all pretty much are electric steered. Once yours is fixed, you will most likely never have a problem with the steering again. I can understand your apprehension though. :scared:

Offline Sandhu2211

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
I hope so mate. Misses want to swap it with my Aurion till we are certain the problem is fixed. Hence I was thinking of getting a new one as I love driving Aurion.  Can't say no to her though. As they rightly say happy wife happy life :)
  • I30 cw diesel

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Women, can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em.  :crazy1: :lol:

Offline Sandhu2211

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I hope so mate. Misses want to swap it with my Aurion till we are certain the problem is fixed. Hence I was thinking of getting a new one as I love driving Aurion.  Can't say no to her though. As they rightly say happy wife happy life :)

If they successfully replace a part and that does the job,  try and get as much info about the repair as you can (for your benefit and ours please)

It is only a small percentage that fail but it was enough of a risk for me to upgrade the wife's 2010 2.0 Petrol CW to a 2014 tourer last year. Unfortunately the 2010 CW was a great car and Trish still misses it in some ways.

As Phil says, unless you replace it with something else new with a long warranty you could jump out of the frying pan into the fire.  :Pout:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I'd go through Hyundai Australia i-care.
Send them an email with details of what has happened to date and take it from there.
You are not alone.  :)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Paolo39

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Leicester
I am in UK, but quite recently I had this same issue. Steering become heavy and esp light was on all the time. The dealer replaced whole steering column, due to faulty motor. Thankfully that was done on warranty

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I am in UK, but quite recently I had this same issue. Steering become heavy and esp light was on all the time. The dealer replaced whole steering column, due to faulty motor. Thankfully that was done on warranty

Did you have to fight for that to happen or did they just accept responsibility up front?
I'm going through a similar process at the moment.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Paolo39

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Leicester

Did you have to fight for that to happen or did they just accept responsibility up front?
I'm going through a similar process at the moment.

Luckily for me, they took responsibility. But for me that fault stayed permanently.

Offline c0mbat

• 2nd Gear

• de Germany
      Kaiserslautern

• 2010 i30 1.6l CRDi Blue, 6 Speed
I had my EPS replaced about a month ago on my 2010 i30 CRD after it had been intermittent for about 6 months. I'm in Germany, second owner of the car which was purchased in Czech unfortunately for me. Had it been purchased in Germany I would have been covered by the 5 year warranty. It cost me €1,600. I still have the old part, and everything has been working fine since the repair. Hopefully they replace it under warranty for you!
  • 2010 i30 1.6 CRDi Blue, 6 Speed

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Hi

I have a petrol, and I too have had this failure.   My steering never 'locked' but was extraordinary heavy (esp. at low speed) - however I am a big 'big kid' (as I keep being told I am), so what may be extraordinary heavy to me may have been unturnable to someone else.

The first time they tried to fix it - they recalibrated the steering.   This seemed to fix it for maybe a week or so, then it returned.   The second time they looked at it - they did a warranty replacement on the steering column.   Unfortunately it can take a few days, approval must be given by HMA and then the part shipped to dealer from Sydney, installed etc.

EDIT: The problem has not recurred since - 7+ months.  So this warranty replacement fixed the issue - as far as I can tell.

As a side note... in between the (above) two services I needed to get my battery replaced - I still had the 'factory'/OEM battery... mobile battery person seemed rather surprised it had lasted - so if you have had the vehicle since new, or know it is the OEM battery, and haven't changed it... you might want to look at it's condition.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 03:36:20 by ibrokeit »
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Did the warranty replacement fix the problem?
  • Tertius the i30

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
If asking in regards to my post - yes it did indeed.   I haven't had any problems for the past 7 odd months.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

If asking in regards to my post - yes it did indeed.   I haven't had any problems for the past 7 odd months.

How about April, June and August? (the even ones)  :winker: :D

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane

How about April, June and August? (the even ones)  :winker: :D
:rolleyes: :lol: :rofl: :snigger:

Okay Okay - I haven't had any problems in the even months either! :D  :rofl:

I don't know if I should point out ... on that counting basis - the 'past 7 odd months' would have started with Sep 2014 *zinga*  :rofl:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Glad you appreciated the joke!  :happydance:

Offline Jdnewcombe

• 1st Gear

• scotland Scotland
      East Kilbride
A frightening experience which I hope is properly examined and resolved by Hyundai. Wouldn't it be really helpful if Hyundai were to openly give you a full explanation of what went wrong.....this could have been a total disaster!
  • Hyundai i30 Comfort

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
A frightening experience which I hope is properly examined and resolved by Hyundai. Wouldn't it be really helpful if Hyundai were to openly give you a full explanation of what went wrong.....this could have been a total disaster!
Yup could be - I think Doggie 1 had a similar experience EPS failing at while in motion... if I recall correctly around 100km/h - and the original service dept couldn't find it for 2.5 years (or something) - :link: EPS fails intermittently

And....  apparently there is a recall now - :link: Hyundai i30, Elantra recalled for power-steering fix

In my case the EPS never failed in motion - it failed at startup or it didn't fail... but that could have been just luck of the draw.   Both during the first set of instances, the ones the service center thought they had cracked by re-calibrating, and the second set of instances, which resulted in steering column replacement (and has fixed it) - it quickly progressed from hit and miss, to always hit in relation to fault appearing.   I didn't really notice but a friend, who borrowed the car both times it was having this issue, said he felt it was heavier on later drives.   Of course with how heavy the steering is when failed - I can fully imagine it feeling, or actually being - depending on physical ability, unturnable when traveling at speed and suddenly the assist is just gone.

I think Sandhu2211 (the author of this topic) last reported that his steering column was going to be replaced - will be interesting to know how this went, and what he thinks.

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
Hey ibrokeit, just need to say you have some of the most informative posts on this forum! I like the way you follow up on issues. Top job!
  • 05 Hyundai Elantra Elite 5spd 2.0 Petrol, Black Sedan

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hey ibrokeit, just need to say you have some of the most informative posts on this forum! I like the way you follow up on issues. Top job!

Administrator Comment Good on you too for acknowledging this! Yep, he is a real asset to the place!

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane

Good on you too for acknowledging this! Yep, he is a real asset to the place!

:thanks:  Thank You elantraelite for saying that.

Also Thank You Dazzler.   And also Doggie 1 and Asterix for their support of the post.

I find documenting things and/or tying things together (because everyone isn't going to necessarily find the same topics and/or in a useful order), where I can, to be a good thing to do.

Of course many of my answers to queries are (probably wildly inaccurate) guesses - but I am sure everyone has realised that by now!

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal