i30 Owners Club

iPhone 6 and Bluetooth

kblake · 16 · 3759

Offline kblake

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Roselands, Sydney
I have an 2013 i30 petrol Active..
Being a teenager in the 70's I like my music LOUD..
When I connect my iPhone via Bluetooth I have to turn the radio volume up full to be able to hear my music at (my) acceptable levels, I have looked at settings in the iPhone and also the car radio, but I am at a loss..
Any thoughts anybody?
Cheers
Keith
  • i30 active 2013

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
In the iPhone settings/music set the EQ -Volume Limit and Sound Check all to off.

I just have the car stereo EQ set to Rock and it plays all the songs with good sound.

Offline kblake

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Roselands, Sydney
Thanks Craig, will give it a try..
Keith
  • i30 active 2013

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Another option, though it does seem a bit pedestrian being it isn't wireless...

Is use a lightning cable - it seems there is a slight preference for using cables for iPod/iPhones - one of the more obvious examples being in the 'Pandora' section of the "GD-02" manual which basically reads... using an iPhone/iPod use the cable; connecting an android device use bluetooth.   It may result in better sounding music in any case (or there may be no noticeable difference).

Though interestingly, but I am not sure it is 'Pandora' specific, it does note (in it's notes): "Ensure that the volume control of your mobile device is set to approximately 80%, and the device is not muted."   I am sought of thinking that could be general connection advice, rather than something specific to Pandora.
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Is use a lightning cable - it seems there is a slight preference for using cables for iPod/iPhones - one of the more obvious examples being in the 'Pandora' section of the "GD-02" manual which basically reads... using an iPhone/iPod use the cable; connecting an android device use bluetooth.   It may result in better sounding music in any case (or there may be no noticeable difference).

Though interestingly, but I am not sure it is 'Pandora' specific, it does note (in it's notes): "Ensure that the volume control of your mobile device is set to approximately 80%, and the device is not muted."   I am sought of thinking that could be general connection advice, rather than something specific to Pandora.
Using a cable wouldn't make any difference, it's the music settings in the iPhone that need adjusting.

There's also no Pandora in a 2013 i30 Active
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 14:24:00 by CraigB »

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane

Using a cable wouldn't make any difference, it's the music settings in the iPhone that need adjusting.

There's also no Pandora in a 2013 i30 Active

Okay - not having an i30 with either (GD-01 or GD-02) fitted I couldn't test the differences, just noticed the (apparent) preference in the manuals (when researching for getting one for my Mum's i30 - non AU model).

Thanks for mentioning about no Pandora in 2013 i30 Active (I thought that might be the case - suspected GD-01), that and what you say about the iPhone music settings needing adjusting would indicate the note I mentioned above is probably more general in nature than it appears, or where it appears.  In that sound level/volume on the mobile device varies the output/speaker volume as does the volume control on the head-unit - rather than sound being passed from the mobile device to the head-unit at an equivalent to 'line-level' (or constant volume).

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
The EQ on the phone needs to be disabled so that the cars stereo can handle all the processing, volume limit has to be turned off so that the phone lets the songs be played at the cars audio levels and not the phone volume settings and the sound check is disabled because it will level the acoustic range of all music prohibiting a difference between highs and lows.

Offline kblake

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Roselands, Sydney
In the iPhone settings/music set the EQ -Volume Limit and Sound Check all to off.

I just have the car stereo EQ set to Rock and it plays all the songs with good sound.

Thanks but didn't help... will try a Lightning cable...
Keith
  • i30 active 2013

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Very odd, via Bluetooth I only have my car stereo at volume 12 normally and up to 18 if I want it really cranking, what level are you listening at where you feel it's unacceptable ?

Offline kblake

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Roselands, Sydney
Very odd, via Bluetooth I only have my car stereo at volume 12 normally and up to 18 if I want it really cranking, what level are you listening at where you feel it's unacceptable ?
On FM radio usually mid teens but can also crank it to 20 or so for a bit of AC/DC or the like...
But iPhone via Bluetooth I have to turn it up ALL the way, it is ok but not loud as I like it...
Cheers
Keith
  • i30 active 2013

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Are the stereo settings - balance/fade all set to defaults? what EQ setting are you using? does the stereo volume change if adjusting with the phones volume buttons?

Mine is set to default with EQ set to rock and if I turned the volume up to 20 I'd get reverberation, 18 is my limit with radio or Bluetooth.

Offline kblake

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Roselands, Sydney
"does the stereo volume change if adjusting with the phones volume buttons?"

Der this is something I have not thought of... What a dope, will try it tomorrow...
  • i30 active 2013

Offline kblake

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Roselands, Sydney
Ok couldn't wait, went out and tried the volume control on the iPhone and YES that was the problem... Boy do I feel stupid lol......  :head_butt:
Thanks all for the replies..
Cheers
Keith

• i30 active 2013

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Great!  But what does stupid think of being felt?  :rofl:

Seriously though great the issue is fixed. And useful info gained.  :goodjob2:

We now know iPhone volume level (per it's volume controls) can have an effect, even with the other settings set, at least in some instances - so becomes 'something to try' knowledge for future searches.  And so the '80% volume on phone' note appears to be more general in nature than portrayed in Huundai documents.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal