i30 Owners Club

Winton Fun Day

Offline sobocanec

• 2nd Gear

I am probably one of the oldest members in this forum (nearly 63... ouch!). Therefore when I join this forum early in 2009 I just decided to lurk and pick up few informative ideas from other owners of i30’s.
Since I have arrived to Australia in 1966 I have owned many cars, including few new ones. All of them were petrol and last three were Mazda6 then second edition Mazda6 (luxury model and extra gear) which I traded in for Mazda CX7. After the petrol prices skyrocketed  (i was only using premium high octane) it was only sensible think to “downgrade” to smaller fuel economical transport.
But ...O boy, was I wrong.....after carefully selecting from several brands sold in Australia I settled for best package and bought i30 SLX in red.(my wife’s choice..she doesn’t drive cause it is manual)
This was my first ever diesel driven car and it took me some days to get re adjusted for different style of driving. After drive in period I have taken it for a “spin” over Mt Hotham, False Creek, Mt Buffalo and many other nice country roads. Always driving very aggressive  but still within speed limits.
By now I clocked up over 27000 Km. I carefully gather data in my spread sheet after every fill up. Testing four main fuels I now use BP. But not to get into this too much, basically in my case the fact is that fuel consumption is directly related by average speed.
My average speed is 57.5 km/h (over 27452 km)
My average fuel consumption is 5.4 l/100
Approximately 5000 km ago I bought and fitted Sharetz tuning box and since early last year I’ve inflated my tyers with Nitrogen, front 38psi and back 34. I go for free check every two mnts. or so.
Needless to elaborate how impressed I am. But there was still something missing. I wanted to find how this car really behaves. So I gathered all my courage and entered in the fun day at racing circuit at Winton on Jan.24.2010. After proper scrutineering, briefing etc., I entered first session. The basic rules are, that one is not allowed to pass on the corners but only in the straight and that drivers are only supposed to use 80% of car ability and driver ability.
But all this is forgotten after first corner, and believe me no one wants to be overtaken. I ended somewhere in the middle of the stretched line of cars and there I stayed till the end of this session. I got used to corners and track. I was getting braver each lap. Of course few cars have passed me. I forgot to mention, that I was driving without tuning box. And was little disappointed getting out of the corners because of turbo lag.
So for the next session I fitted tuning box and set it to mid range. That time I was much faster, pass few cars myself, but then they passed me when I miss change gear (5th instead of 3rd... hehehe; centrifugal force and strong braking does play tricks on you)

For the third session I set my tuning box even one more notch down to get even better pick up out of the corner in the third gear. This time it was good. I really give it heaps and was able to pass more cars and even keep up with cars like club sport and similar. Of course there were still some Nissans and Subaroo and others that just pass me. But on the day I was only Diesel car on the track and off the track I got nice comments how the little car went. Because of track design my car wasn’t geared correctly. Most of the time I was only able to use 3rd and 4th gear. top gear on the straits but not for long cause you have to start breaking for the “s” bend. I’ve tried to use 2nd, but it was always too fast revving.
There were few cars that spun out off the track, but my suspension was superb. I have ruined few 1000 k off my tyers.
It was very hot day out there, I had a tension headache and I was bit tired, so I decided to called quits. I can’t wait for the next opportunity in May this year. I have to stress, that this was my first time on any track. I guess, that the reason I wrote this essay is to inform some  of you drivers with similar goals, that there is a way to really test your and your car’s ability to drive crazy, without braking any road rules, under controlled condition. Or you go at your own speed and nobody will give you dirty looks.

I hope that I will see some of you Victorians on the next fun day.

Kind regards to you all.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
g,day sobocanec and welcome aboard.nice intro post. im in for the next winton track day.keep me posted on info and dates.  :mrgreen: :cool:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline SRT Metro

• 6th Gear
  • i30CW 2.0 CRDi, 2009

• se Sweden
      Halmstad, Sweden

• Halmstad, Sweden's Riviera
Hi sobocanec and welcome to the club!  :)
Nice intro post...  :)
  • I30 CW 2.0 CRDi

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
That was terrific sobocanec (in the best possible way)

Well done on the track day.. and the interesting post.. (it was worth waiting for)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline IMCRZY

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Wollongong

• Wollongong, NSW, Australia
Welcome

Sounds like fun.... What waas the sort of rev range were you using???

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Hi, great first post.
Terrific report on the track day.
Winton is fun.
Were you using the long track? Or the shorter one?
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Welcome and great first post :D :D :D
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Welcome sobocanec

Now ..................... that must be the longest intro to the site, unless someone can cross link to a longer into.

PS where do you originally hail from?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome sobocanec

Now ..................... that must be the longest intro to the site, unless someone can cross link to a longer into.

PS where do you originally hail from?

Imagine how big my post would be if I only posted once a year! :lol: :lol:

P.S. sobocanec we have quite a few member 61+ going by this poll with 147 repondents there are more than 8 (infact if this poll is an accurate indicator of our total membership there could be close to 50 members in that age range)  :eek:

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,276.0.html
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Welcome sobocanec :D

... infact if this poll is an accurate indicator of our total membership there could be close to 50 members in that age range  :eek:

http://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,276.0.html

I just changed the poll options so I could change my vote from 50 to 51 as I'm now in the next higher group  :-[ :'( :'(
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline sobocanec

• 2nd Gear

Thank you all for very kind remarks and welcomes!!!

Here I would like to answer all your questions at once:

Instead of me keeping you posted on future dates and other info, here is the site
where you can find all this and more:
http://www.wintonmotorraceway.com.au/home/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

For anyone else, that is interested to see photographs taken on fun day and other occasions you can see them on this page:
http://www.ifpix.com/

For the rev range that I was using I cannot be specific. To be really truthful after my first session I realized, that I had no recollection of speed or revs.(too busy to look) But in next sessions I have glanced several times on the speedo,mostly on the straight. And I think that taco needle was most of the time around 2 ,half past 2 position in time of changing gear. And it did jump right in the red few times when I dropped down in the second. I will make point of monitoring all that in my next outing.

The track was long track. Short track was blocked with wall of tyers so that no one could use it, for safety reasons.

And finally I originally come from Slovenija, same country as Acim, one of your very active members.

Offline Hemmi

• V.I.P

• is Iceland
      Reykjavik, Iceland

• Reykjavik, Iceland & Monda, Spain

Offline sparki30

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Kent

• Kent England. 1.6CRDI Premium
If anyone in the UK want's to do something similar try the link below, they run special novice days so no big boys !

http://www.clubmsv.com/car-home/novice-only.aspx

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal