i30 Owners Club

GD Tourer Window Tinting Results

Heady · 15 · 7388

Offline Heady

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Berkshire
Not sure if this should belong to the exterior or interior section as window tinting does change both the exterior aesthetics as well as the interior usability.

I know in Australia window tinting is very common; however, not so common in the UK.

As I am wanting to get the i30 ready for some future long distance trips - I wanted to have the windows tinted. 
Tinting the windows were for a few reasons:
(1) Reduce the amount of sun & therefore, heat in the rear cabin.
(2) Reduce the chance of opportunists eyeing high value items in the rear cabin they might take a liking to.
(3) Reduce the glare for rear passengers.

I had the i30 tinted a while ago - but its taken a while to get into a position of posting the results here.

These images show the different shades of tint available in the UK.

Nothing is allowed (except for a sun strip) on the windscreen as 75% of light must pass-through.
Clear UV blocking tint & Light smoke is allowed on the front drivers & passengers windows as long as the glass is not already tinted as 70% of the light must pass-through.
Anything is allowed on the windows behind the driver.  I went for Midnight for all windows behind the driver.

Slightly different angles - shows the difference between what light passes through the tinted windows.
The tinted windows do change the aesthetics of the vehicle.  At normal standing eye height - those outside could not be able to see rear passengers or rear items without getting much closer - almost nose touching the glass close.

At normal in-car seated eye height - those in surrounding vehicles would be able to ascertain that there were rear passengers but would not be able to identify them.

Same situation with the rear window; although, you can see stoplights of vehicles infront through the rear window.
I initially wanted to go for something lighter than Midnight on the rear window was talked out of it.  I'm glad now I didn't go a shade lighter.
One of the side benefits is that vehicles behind that don't use dip beam or have super bright HID headlights - don't both me as much at night time now which is a considerable bonus.

View from the rear right.

The next few photos show the sun-strip on the windscreen.  Again this is something that is common in Australia but not very common in the UK.  I debated about going a lighter shade for the sun-stip but again was talked out of it.  With the Midnight tint - it blends into the windscreen ceramic black edges perfectly - looks like a factory job.
The sun is a bit bright and therefore, this photo isn't the best - but the photo is suppose to show the sun-strip from the front.

The sun-strip from the drivers side.

The sun-strip from the passengers side.

This shows what the sun-strip looks like from the drivers position.  Looks a little bit like letter-box TV format.  What I've found is that the sun-strip is perfect for taking the sting out of the glare of the sun without pulling the sun shades down.

This shows the difference in the amount of light getting through between the Midnight on the rear passenger window and the clear UV blocking tint on the front passenger window.

This shows the difference in the amount of light getting through between the untouched windscreen, the clear UV blocking tint on the front passengers window and the Midnight sub-strip.

So the conclusions after living with the tint for the last few months:
(1) Reduce the amount of sun & therefore, heat in the rear cabin.

Definitely reduces the amount of sun bouncing around behind the driver.  The whole cabin feels a bit darker now.  As for heat - as the UK hasn't been particularly sunny this summer I cannot really tell.  I'll have to go to Spain and see if it has a marked noticeable affect. 
What I have definitely noticed is that I don't feel the sun stinging my skin as much when exposed to bright sun light through the drivers side window.

(2) Reduce the chance of opportunists eyeing high value items in the rear cabin they might take a liking to.

I definitely, feel safer... (*) in that you really need to put your nose on the glass to be able to identify objects on the rear passenger seat.
(*) not wanting to be lulled into a false sense of security.

(3) Reduce the glare for rear passengers.

Definitely, reduces the glare for passengers seated in the rear with the added bonus of adding better contrast to colours.  Its interesting that you can see more clear detail in objects outside especially green or white objects outside the car from the rear passenger seats than you can from the front drivers seat.

Hope someone finds this report & photos useful.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 00:18:04 by Heady »
  • 2013 CRDi GD 5 Door Tourer, Diesel 1.6lt, Auto

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Wow! That was an awesome report! Thanks... Yes, I like the darkest legal all around except windscreen obviously. I also like the way it reduces glare from cars behind. Not many do the windsceen strip over here. I wouldn't mind doing that...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Not many do the windsceen strip over here. I wouldn't mind doing that...
Don't your cars already have the pre-tinted strip in the windscreen glass Dazz :undecided: mine has as most cars have had it from factory for years.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Don't your cars already have the pre-tinted strip in the windscreen glass Dazz :undecided: mine has as most cars have had it from factory for years.
Kind of but it's so narrow it's useless as a sun visor and not nice and squared off like heady's...

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Kind of but it's so narrow it's useless as a sun visor and not nice and squared off like heady's...
I see what you mean, I always have my visors tilted down anyway so don't notice the lack of tint :)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I see what you mean, I always have my visors tilted down anyway so don't notice the lack of tint :)

I find sun visors a bit claustrophobic, tint would be a better option for me. :goodjob:

Offline Heady

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Berkshire
... Not many do the windsceen strip over here. I wouldn't mind doing that...
I'm surprised - that not many do the sun-strip...
I think most of my work vehicles I used in Australia had a sun-strip either as factory standard or as an after-market add-on.
My father also had the sun-strip added to all the family vehicles he's had for the last 20+years.  Its where I had the idea from.

For the UK - one thing to keep in mind regarding the sun-strip is that the MOT rules say that the windscreen wipers must not impinge on the tinted area. 
Why this is the case no-one I spoke to knew as the tint is on the inside not the outside.
Therefore, there are two options:
(1) Find a friendly MOT station that will see it for what it is.  That the mechanical function of the windscreen wiper is not impaired.
(2) Get an old set of windscreen wipers and modify so that when they operate they don't impinge on the tinted area.  Windscreen wipers are cheap and v.easy to change.  The hardest part is to remember to change them before dropping the vehicle off for the MOT.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I'm not sure if they still are, haven't checked, but sun strips on the windscreen used to be illegal in W.A. but they may have relaxed that law over the last few years.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I'm not sure if they still are, haven't checked, but sun strips on the windscreen used to be illegal in W.A. but they may have relaxed that law over the last few years.
Sort of the same here, but like the UK they are supposed to be above  the wiper sweep. Mine aren't.   :mrgreen:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Heady

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Berkshire
I find sun visors a bit claustrophobic, tint would be a better option for me. :goodjob:
The sun-strip was measured by the tinting guy to be just above eye level.  He was slightly taller than I so it is well above eye level for me.  If I ever have to replace the windscreen then next time I'd have an extra cm added to fit my stature.

Even so - for most situations I don't need the sun shades/visors now I have the sun-strip.  I have found the sun-strip to be invaluable in cases where you round a bend on a country road and the sun is just in the wrong place.  Now I don't need to do anything - whereas, before it was a mad scramble to lower the visor for the fractions of a second to avoid being blinded.

Because of the aggressive slope to the windscreen - and the fact that I'm not that tall so have the seat reasonably forward.  I find that on the i30 the sun-shades/visors are very close to my head when down and I do worry about headbutting them.  With sunglasses and the sun-strip I just don't need the sun shades/visors anymore and would be quite happy to do away with them all together.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Here's what the regs say for Australia...  :cool:

Victoria

It is permissible for windscreens to have tinted bands of less than 75% light transmittance above the primary vision area.  In cases where this band is more than 65mm deep, and extends into the wiper arc area or beyond the top 10% of the windscreen height, evidence may be required to show that the tint does not extend into the primary vision area as defined in Australian Design Rule (ADR) 8 - Safety Glazing Material.

Queensland

Tinting may be fitted to the upper portion of a windscreen of a motor vehicle. The tinting must not extend lower than a horizontal line connecting the uppermost points of the arcs swept by the vehicle manufacturer’s original wiper blades or upper 10 percent of the windscreen, whichever is the lesser. The tinting may be of any shade but must not have a reflectance of more than 10 percent.

Western Australia

A windscreen must not have film applied to it. However, a tinted band across the top of the windscreen is permitted providing it is above the portion of the windscreen swept by the wipers and it does not intrude into the primary vision area of the windscreen.

The band area must not be more than 10% of the windscreen area unless the Vehicle Safety and Standards Section have provided written permission.

South Australia

The windscreen may be coated in a way that reduces its luminous transmittance above the top of the area swept by the windscreen wipers or the upper 10% of the windscreen, whichever is the greater area. This area must have a luminous transmittance of at least 70%

NSW

A tinted or opaque band across the top of the windscreen is permitted providing it is no lower than 10% of the height of the windscreen & is above the portion of the windscreen swept by the wipers.

Tasmania

Windscreen glazing of a motor vehicle must not be coated in a way that reduces its luminous transmittance.
(3) However, subregulations (1) and (2) do not apply to the greater of the following areas of a windscreen:
(a) the area above the highest point of the windscreen that is swept by a windscreen wiper;
(b) the upper 10% of the windscreen.

Northern Territory

A strip with any LT may be applied to the greater of the following areas of a windscreen:
(a) the area above the highest point of the windscreen that is swept by a windscreen wiper; or

Australian Capital Territory

A strip with any LT may be applied to the greater of the following areas of a windscreen:
(a) the area above the highest point of the windscreen that is swept by a windscreen wiper; or

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:ta: for that. Russell. I just went down to check how far up the screen the wipers go on our two cars but neither has a dirty enough screen to tell. I'll have to check next time I use them..  :cool:

Offline Heady

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Berkshire
... how far up the screen the wipers go ...
At least on my i30 the main drivers side wiper blade sweeps to slightly less than an inch (2cm) from the top windscreen glass edge.
It is a very wide arc.

I notice above that only Queensland mentions in their regulations "manufacturer’s original wiper blades"...

(2) Get an old set of windscreen wipers and modify so that when they operate they don't impinge on the tinted area.  Windscreen wipers are cheap and v.easy to change.  The hardest part is to remember to change them before dropping the vehicle off for the MOT.
So it would appear the wipers could be modified (MOT option 2 above) to meet regulations in all states except Queensland.

Offline Craig

• 2nd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow
I had a sun strip fitted recently to my 2010 i30.  It's definitely shorter than yours though.  Mine is only occasionally useful, but I still like it.
  • 2010 i30 1.6 CRDi comfort auto (pre facelift) & 2017 Hyundai Ioniq hybrid

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I had a sun strip fitted recently to my 2010 i30.  It's definitely shorter than yours though.  Mine is only occasionally useful, but I still like it.
Did you consider having your name put across as well

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal