i30 Owners Club

New tyres for SR - 225/45/17R [quiet and grip]

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
A few weeks (& 13,000 kms) ago I bought four new tyres for my GD - Continental CC2s at $139 each, fitted & balanced of course.
This was before the 443 deal was announced and they are 16s.
I can't say I've found them any quieter, to be honest, but they're on there now so we'll see how they go.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear
  • queenslands most feminine

• au Australia
      Gympie

• thunder wishes it could be the snow
    • My Fuelly
A few weeks (& 13,000 kms) ago I bought four new tyres for my GD - Continental CC2s at $139 each, fitted & balanced of course.

this was a considered tyre for me but not available in my size - the max contact is the other one on the 443 but don't review quite as well from what i can see. interesting you don't find them particularly quieter though.

----

anyone reading this who does/did have the kumho solus 15 on your i30 - do you think it is a 'hard' tyre?
  • SR AUTO 2.0 Petrol Hatch

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I had factory Kumhos on my 16" rims and replaced them with the superseding Kumhos. They're quiet when new but get noisier as they wear. :undecided:
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 10:57:46 by The Gonz »
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I had fatory Kumhos on my 16" rims and replaced them with the superseding Kumhos. They're quiet when new but get noisier as they wear. :undecided:

A bit like a wife then.  :neutral:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

this was a considered tyre for me but not available in my size - the max contact is the other one on the 443 but don't review quite as well from what i can see. interesting you don't find them particularly quieter though.

The GD is a bit quieter than the FD though Snowcherry.. this would make a difference..
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia

----

anyone reading this who does/did have the kumho solus 15 on your i30 - do you think it is a 'hard' tyre?

I had the Solus on mine, got 60,000k out of them. (rotating the spare). I didn't mind them, though I drive on the concrete m1 so noise really doesn't  matter, there all going to be noisy.

I was going to go with Goodyear, but missed the 4 4 3 offer, so Toyo became the next thing....
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie

• My Fuelly
well i'm booked in for the Assurance Triplemax on thursday. they've confirmed they'll match the 443 deal. so $189x3 for tyres over $200 each normally seems a pretty ok deal.
and getting an alignment as well.

:goodjob2:

I had the Solus on mine, got 60,000k out of them. (rotating the spare). I didn't mind them, though I drive on the concrete m1 so noise really doesn't  matter, there all going to be noisy.

I was going to go with Goodyear, but missed the 4 4 3 offer, so Toyo became the next thing....

the M1 and that concrete is noisy. most of my driving would be highway related. i think there is a concrete patch up this way too from memory [sunny coast] but travel the gold coast one on occasion.
i've also got shy of 60k on my solus as well, could get maybe another 5-10k on the backs but they have been wearing on the inside unevenly - since i'd have to pay for an alignment anyway and thinking that replacing just the front means i still get noise from the back tyres, i've decided to go the four over two. to be honest i've never thought of rotating my spare though, and it's now 5 years old so i guess logically i should consider replacing that as well. just can't afford to do that at the moment though, will look out for maybe a percentage off sale on the in future to match the spare.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
well i'm booked in for the Assurance Triplemax on thursday. they've confirmed they'll match the 443 deal. so $189x3 for tyres over $200 each normally seems a pretty ok deal.
and getting an alignment as well.

:goodjob2:

the M1 and that concrete is noisy. most of my driving would be highway related. i think there is a concrete patch up this way too from memory [sunny coast] but travel the gold coast one on occasion.
i've also got shy of 60k on my solus as well, could get maybe another 5-10k on the backs but they have been wearing on the inside unevenly - since i'd have to pay for an alignment anyway and thinking that replacing just the front means i still get noise from the back tyres, i've decided to go the four over two. to be honest i've never thought of rotating my spare though, and it's now 5 years old so i guess logically i should consider replacing that as well. just can't afford to do that at the moment though, will look out for maybe a percentage off sale on the in future to match the spare.

I wouldn't be in a rush to replace it....

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie

• My Fuelly

cheers, had someone else say the same thing to me yesterday. so i won't worry about it for the foreseeable future. :)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

cheers, had someone else say the same thing to me yesterday. so i won't worry about it for the foreseeable future. :)

Yes, there would be a lot of cars around with a spare that is over 5 years old (although mine seldom are)  :snigger:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Yes, there would be a lot of cars around with a spare that is over 5 years old (although mine seldom are)  :snigger:

To be fair, neither are your cars  :cool:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

To be fair, neither are your cars  :cool:

True (longest I've had a car in the last 38 years is 4 years) 1978 Renault Virage, 1998 N15 Nissan Pulsar, 2010 i30 CW...

So, I've saved a fortune on Batteries and tyres!  :rofl:

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie

• My Fuelly
got the Assurance Triplemax today.
for the record [as couldn't find it anywhere online] the traction rating is A. [sadly not AA] and temp rating is also A. can't recall treadwear rating right now.

tentative initial thoughts:
firstly the overall road noise is not quieter - i fear it is afterall a car problem not so much a tyre problem
however the tone of noise is different. only way i can think to explain it right now is that the Kuhmos had a hard rough noise, while the Goodyears have a smoother hummy noise.
when i first saw the tyres i thought they were the wrong profile, they seemed smaller. they are the correct profile and it was pointed out they have a slight bulge in the sidewall the kuhmos didn't have, so perhaps this bulge was giving me a slight optical illusion.
steering immediately felt lighter. i believe these tyres may have less rolling resistance ?? [as commented on previously] ...so perhaps this contributes to that?
bumps/humps etc feel slightly softer, not as shock hard as the kuhmos [same 38 psi btw], and with the noise i think they absorb those bumps a bit better. so noise wise there are areas which do seem a little improved [though not hugely], though once out on open highway at 110ks it's not doing much for that overall noise level.
car seems lighter and smoother to drive - but i think more time on that to be sure.
so a mixed bag for now, and i think i need a couple hundred k's or so to see how i really feel. as long as i feel comfortable and above all safe in them i'll keep them. i put up with the kuhmos fro 5 years lol. anyway i'll update my feelings when they're a bit worn in.

----

negative:
drove from beaurepaires to shops couple minutes around corner - no probs. did some shopping then hopped back in car.
got barely one minute down the road when there was an abnormal horrid extremely loud noise, the car felt like it was dragging and the ESP light started flashing [first time it's ever done this i think].
i thought a tyre had come off or maybe wheel had jammed. pulled over and couldn't see anything wrong and once i drove off again the noise was gone and no ESP light.
i tried calling beaurepaires but they didn't answer phone - must have closed for day. as i was still an hour from home was a bit nervous but it didn't happen again.
i will call local store tomorrow and see what they think it was.
asked my father and he thought maybe a weight came off/loose? anyone have any idea what happened?

positive:
found the guys at beaurepaires [maroochydore] friendly and chatty, and answered my queries positively and as helpfully as possible.
and of course they did give me a 443 deal and price match to bob jane and the continentals which was great.
i had booked the car asking to be sure they had four tyres when i got there today. they didn't! they only had two lol, but they gladly went and got the tyres from another store. phew.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Hi Snowcherry.
I have no idea what might have caused that noise. It sounds odd. Should be checked out. I'd suggest you get Marrochydore store to arrange for you to get the car checked out in Gympie. There's a Beaurepaires store up on the hill IIRC.

Don't pay too much attention to the traction, temperature and tread wear ratings. They really don't mean much and certainly don't provide a comparison between brands. Their only real use is within the brand.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie

• My Fuelly
I'd suggest you get Marrochydore store to arrange for you to get the car checked out in Gympie.

so you don't think i call gympie store directly? calling maroochydore first is easy enough anyway, thanks.

and cheers about the ratings - i had read that about the treadwear ratings, that it is only comparative within the brand not against other brands, but had assumed  the traction one was comparable.  :goodjob2:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I must admit I'm not sure about the traction one now. I've been out of it for a few years.
The real test is how you find them in the wet and the feedback I've has is that they're pretty good.

Look forward to hearing how you find them.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Maybe it was a small stone in the brakes (I had that once) ... Did you used to work for the government in an analytical capacity? :shocked:

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie

• My Fuelly
Maybe it was a small stone in the brakes (I had that once) ... Did you used to work for the government in an analytical capacity? :shocked:

not quite sure what you mean re analytical capacity?

took car to beaurepaires - they were quite stumped and said it's balance etc is fine. the weights haven't come off, and they can't see anything catching or interfering with anything else.
they also checked brake fluid. as i only just had my service was pretty confident it wasn't anything to do with the car.
however they also leaned to the brakes being the culprit, and said perhaps some dirt had got fallen in and caused the issue. it's quite possible i was braking when it happened as i knew there was a traffic light around a bend and possibly braked  a little in prep.
anyway they are happy for me to bring it back if it happens again, it's prob just a one off random occurrence though.

re tyres - definitely lighter steering. found myself being a little more careful today getting used to it, don't want to oversteer,  and generally til i get more used to how they run/feel. i'm sure  tyres are softer and feel smoother.  i also think it perhaps slightly rolls more cornering compared to the kumho's but that could be the lightness i'm feeling instead.
 :D

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

not quite sure what you mean re analytical capacity?

took car to beaurepaires - they were quite stumped and said it's balance etc is fine. the weights haven't come off, and they can't see anything catching or interfering with anything else.
they also checked brake fluid. as i only just had my service was pretty confident it wasn't anything to do with the car.
however they also leaned to the brakes being the culprit, and said perhaps some dirt had got fallen in and caused the issue. it's quite possible i was braking when it happened as i knew there was a traffic light around a bend and possibly braked  a little in prep.
anyway they are happy for me to bring it back if it happens again, it's prob just a one off random occurrence though.

re tyres - definitely lighter steering. found myself being a little more careful today getting used to it, don't want to oversteer,  and generally til i get more used to how they run/feel. i'm sure  tyres are softer and feel smoother.  i also think it perhaps slightly rolls more cornering compared to the kumho's but that could be the lightness i'm feeling instead.
 :D
All new tyres will feel lighter than what you had on, if for no other reason than the fact that the old tyres would have been worn down, so less flex in the remaining tread blocks AND slightly more rubber in contact with the road (the tread blocks are tapered slightly). So effectively, new tyres have a little less rubber on the road. The exception being if you've got a closer tread design of course.
There shouldn't be any difference in the "roll" as it's the tyre pressure which controls this and normally sidewalls are the same thickness so the flex in them shouldn't change much.
All that's over simplifying it a bit as there are a host of other factors which can come into play.
However, in a week or so, you'll have adapted and won't notice any difference.  :goodjob2:

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie

• My Fuelly

All new tyres will feel lighter than what you had on, if for no other reason than the fact that the old tyres would have been worn down, so less flex in the remaining tread blocks AND slightly more rubber in contact with the road (the tread blocks are tapered slightly). So effectively, new tyres have a little less rubber on the road. The exception being if you've got a closer tread design of course.
There shouldn't be any difference in the "roll" as it's the tyre pressure which controls this and normally sidewalls are the same thickness so the flex in them shouldn't change much.
All that's over simplifying it a bit as there are a host of other factors which can come into play.
However, in a week or so, you'll have adapted and won't notice any difference.  :goodjob2:

cheers for that, makes sense!  :mrgreen:
i think there is a difference in the sidewall though, at least to look at. the kuhmos were quite flat to the alloy and these have a little bulge.

----

just today i thought to check the traction rating of the kumho's. they were actually AA, the goodyears are A.
i must admit i had a fleeting moment of buyers remorse at that realisation;  but then thought about that i don't generally expect too much from my car [i'm not a racing car driver], and as you suggested perhaps ratings between makes are not that comparative anyway [maybe, maybe not].
as long as they fulfill my needs with braking and wet weather then A will be fine.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
If you haven't already check the tyre pressures.

Straight from the tyre place the Wife's car's tyre pressures were 2x40 and 2x41.

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie

• My Fuelly
If you haven't already check the tyre pressures.

i haven't done that actually. they did say they had them at exactly where i wanted them, and that apparently was what they put most tyres on anyway. [38 btw].
but i have felt with being softer if maybe they are either below 38, or perhaps i could try pumping them up a bit [above 38]. not sure yet but yes i should check what they're on.

---

still 50/50 on them. i think overall i do like them, i like the softness actually but finding i'm missing that hardness by the same token.
i noticed today that my turning circle was dreadful, i really misjudged it. i was told that softer tyres will add to your turning circle? another thing i have to get used to.

:)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
i noticed today that my turning circle was dreadful, i really misjudged it. i was told that softer tyres will add to your turning circle? another thing i have to get used to.
I cant see how tyres would affect your turning circle :confused: unless they're contacting the guards which I doubt :undecided:

If anything the alignment would have to be way out to affect the turning circle.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I cant see how tyres would affect your turning circle :confused: unless they're contacting the guards which I doubt :undecided:

If anything the alignment would have to be way out to affect the turning circle.

:whsaid:

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie

• My Fuelly

ok :)
it certainly feels like something is affecting turning circle, i think it could be me getting used to the lighter steering and undercompensating for that a bit.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

ok :)
it certainly feels like something is affecting turning circle, i think it could be me getting used to the lighter steering and undercompensating for that a bit.
As Craig said, tyres can't alter the turning circle. Were the pressures OK?
Also, there's no reason why two different brands of tyres in the same size should have a noticeable difference in sidewall bulge. No doubt there are people out there who could spin a good yarn explaining it away, but the reality is that all car tyre sidewalls are about the same thickness and all are two actual ply construction (but 4 ply "rating")
So, if the size is the same and the pressure is the same, the bulge (which is common to all radial ply tyres) should be the same.

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie

• My Fuelly
Were the pressures OK?

actually they were at 36! all four. [instead of 38]
 :rolleyes:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Were the pressures OK?

actually they were at 36! all four. [instead of 38]
 :rolleyes:

Make very little difference snowcherry. I'd probably leave it as could be put down to gauge error (the one they used or the one you used)  :cool:

Offline mcmonte

• 2nd Gear
  • My H is missing!

• au Australia
      Launceston

• Maybe I might possibly consider thinking about it.
My suggestions:

- Buy a decent quality gauge. I prefer an analogue type. Ensure it's a metal one, not plastic. They tend to have a better valve and seal in them.

- Check tyre pressures at home when tyres are cold. If I've been driving and want to check for some reason, I'll leave it for 4-6 hours to be sure.

If at the servo, aim to slightly over-inflate (2-4psi). The all-important cold pressure is a few psi under whatever it's showing there, unless you only drove 200 metres or so to the servo. But if you did a burnout all that way, disregard  :P

- I've had different brands of the same size with differing sidewall stiffness, rolling circumference, tread depth and (believe it or not) width and therefore profile (profile being percentage of width). Tyre stores used to have data sheets to assist in correct sizing, and although knowing the correct profile is an important first step for gearing and speedo accuracy, the various brands (and even different models of the SAME brand) would differ by as much as 8%.
And this affects your true final drive ratio where rubber meets the road and your speedo accuracy.

Most tyre places would try and match the OEM tyre as closely as possible for rolling circumference. In addition to tyre weight and rolling resistance (yes, more imortant variables for fuel economy, braking, acceleration etc) the circumference was key to ensuring you weren't fined for being 10km/h over, or tailgated mercilessly for being 10 under. Your speedo would show 80, but you could be well either side of that.

TL:DR
Our sampled size was 195/50-15s and the tyres in question were Goodyear Eagle GSD3, Falken ZE-326, Pirelli P6, Dunlop SP Sport ??? and Kumho KU-31s. I forget the exact SP model, we did this some years back.
They were all brand new and mounted on identical 15x7" Simmons wheels.

I recall that the weight range was ~600 grams between heaviest (Goodyears) and lightest (Pirellis) in this sample.

There was a maximum variance of 12mm (maybe 14?) between the narrowest and widest 195 section tyre. Digital verniers were used with the tyres inflated to 36psi.

We then arranged them on the floor against one another. We didn't measure the heights, (couldn't with those calipers; we didn't bother with a tape measure either) but observed a max differential of 6mm or so by eye. Slight, but noticeable. Sure enough, the slightly wider tyres were also higher.

Our sidewall tests weren't too scientific; with all inflated to 36psi, we did a bounce-test from a set height. Then we had our chunkiest club member sit on each upright tyre/wheel on a concrete floor and observe the compression at 6 o'clock.

At the time, I went with the Pirelli P6s, as they were the lightest road-legal tyre in that size at the time. They were among the "softest" sidewalls though.
What a tosspot hey? What's the point in 600g lighter tyres if you're running heavy chrome wheels? But I wasn't  :D
I still have the magnesium set they were mounted on. They were kinda cheap, but pretty light. I couldn't afford the REALLY light (under 4kg) wheels. Mine are 5kg each.
Porky, I know. :mrgreen:
  • Honda

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal