i30 Owners Club

i30 radio gone deaf!

SWDXING · 10 · 8540

Offline SWDXING

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
G'day everyone,

My daily driver, a 2013 Hyundai i30 1.8 L petrol, has been very reliable, well... almost. The only thing that has been giving me issues is the radio tuner.

It's the 5" touch screen unit. When I bought the car brand new in November last year, the FM and AM tuner was extremely sensitive, and received all the stations on the FM band, and even out performed the radio that is in my Nissan Tiida!

But over the past few months, the tuner has been a bit picky. Some days it will receive the stations clearly, and some other days it will not, this doesn't have much to do with weather conditions. A family member of mine also got a 2013 i30 around the same time as I did, and I have done some comparisons with their tuner, compared to mine. Theirs "hears" much more (sensitive), then my one, parked in exactly the same spot. I did a comparison with four different stations, and the weaker ones sounded much clearer in the family's i30.

Now, I checked the antenna, and could not find any water in the base, and I even replaced it with a longer after-market one in hope that it might rectify the deafness issue, but it has not at all.

I have no idea what so ever as to why it has become like this. I have even cleaned out the little antenna base with contact cleaner, and that did nothing either.

Has any one else experienced a drop of reception in their Hyundai vehicle ? I am thinking about taking my i30 to the dealer, and saying what I have stated on here, and encourage them to replace either the head unit, or the antenna base.

This is a very irritating problem, and it is very noticeable at times, almost like something isn't being enabled when the radio is switched on. Sometimes it will come good once the car is started, or vice versa. A very strange problem indeed!
  • 2013 Hyundai i30 1.8lt Petrol

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Notice the length of the original antenna, very short and because of this, Hyundai use an amplifier to power the antenna. To capture a full wavelength on AM frequencies, you would need an antenna of hundreds of feet in length. This is impractical on a car, which is why an amplifier is used. Take it to your dealer to sort out. They will check power and connections for you.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I'd point out that there is more to check in terms of connection integrity nearer the unit, not just at the antenna end, but just for educational purposes because Phil is right in recommending you let the dealer fix it under warranty, rather than them blame you for fiddling with it. :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I'd point out that there is more to check in terms of connection integrity nearer the unit, not just at the antenna end, but just for educational purposes because Phil is right in recommending you let the dealer fix it under warranty, rather than them blame you for fiddling with it. :victory:

I was thinking along the same lines ( the connection between the antenna and the back of the unit)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Quote from: Dazzler
I was thinking along the same lines ( the connection between the antenna and the back of the unit)
:goodjob:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline SWDXING

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Thanks for the help guys, I will put the normal stubby antenna back on, and take the car to the dealer. I suspect the little amplifier module has gone bad inside the antenna base. BTW, is it possible to change the head unit in the GD i30 ?

Cheers

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I think the actual amp is located in of the rear quarter panels. It will most likely be a connection issue.

The head unit can be replaced at your expense and with no warranty unless it is found to be faulty on which case a replacement would be fitted.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline SWDXING

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Are there any after-marked head units available for the 2013 i30 with the 5" touch screen unit? I have not yet come across one, unless I am searching for the wrong thing? Here is a picture of what the head unit looks like. Can a standard DIN size unit be fitted at all ?

Link : http://aerpro.com/sites/default/files/images/console_picture/i30%20GD2%20Radio.png

Cheers
Sam

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Try calling some of your local car audio suppliers/fitters in your area, I know that Westside car audio here in Perth supply universal units to fit.

Offline SWDXING

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
I will do that today. What I am interested in doing, is replacing the 5" touch screen head unit with a single DIN head unit, and use a fascia for it.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal