i30 Owners Club

Constant Headlight Blows

Duckman · 316 · 116522

Offline SMoogus

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Greensborough, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
In Australia we have no bulletins for this concern. I had never even heard of the resistor mod.
We have been having very good results with cleaning headlight earths and the wiring terminals between Alt and ECU. High resistance causing excess current and spikes.

I have a 2010 i30, and this week had the RH side Low Beam go to god.. I replaced the Bulb and it lasted the trip home from the service station  :twisted: where I got the replacement bulb.
I thought I must have not connected the harness properly to the pins... So Three bolts and some heave ho later, out with the housing again. I wriggled it around, and it seemed to come good.
Till the next night when I notioced no RH light again... Hmmm. So I removed the housing, and with the ignition and lights on, I tested voltage at the Battery and the connector that clips onto the bulb pins... 12V .... Globe looks intact.... So I reconnected the pins, and then noticed instead of the bulb lighting up, it glowed orange for a split second ... hmmmm Now I started scratching my head...

Given the Globe does not appear to have blown, I wonder if I am having the same issue as everyone on this post. Also, I went and looked at the old bulb... Even though it looks a little smoky on the glass, the bulb looks ok.. I might try both on the other assembly (more bloody mucking around to get that assembly out) to see if the bul;b is really ok.

Otherwise,Ill search this post for the cleanup instructions Cruiserfied has referred to....

Cheers all.. :neutral: 
  • I30 SIlver grey 2010

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
You need to use a multimeter to check the resistance of connections and wiring, also check continuity across the old bulb filament. If no reading (extremely high ohms), then it's blown. The break in the filament can be very small to the naked eye.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 13:57:17 by The Gonz »
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
Im going to have to look into cleaning the earths and finding some remedy to this issue. Passenger side seems to blow alot more than the drivers side.

Im glad we have mostly illiminated the regulator. My Excel had a faulty regulator. Over charged the battery and exploded into pieces. Stupid me just heard a bang and kept driving for a few hundred meters... Then EVERYTHING that was running in the car blew! Blown fuses, all lights that were on blown, HVAC blower resistor gone, Relays, Indicator Relay, ECU totally fried.

Had a few trips to wreckers getting all the bits and pieces going again. Learnt heaps. Still was the best car I ever owned.
  • 05 Hyundai Elantra Elite 5spd 2.0 Petrol, Black Sedan

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Which of your current cars did this happen to?  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Ok had a quick look through the thread and as you already know it is a common occurance.
In Australia we have no bulletins for this concern. I had never even heard of the resistor mod.
We have been having very good results with cleaning headlight earths and the wiring terminals between Alt and ECU. High resistance causing excess current and spikes.
Alot of cases we replace the globes with genuine longlife globes and never hear about it again. The longlife globes are rated to 960hrs where the standards are only 400hrs.

On other threads I have recommended Phillips long life eco vision globes. Since I wacked these bad boys in, problem solvered. There is a thread somewhere, but from memory I threw the troublesome passengers side globe in at 80k, I've done 130k and I do a lot of night driving.....They are rated to 1500 hours.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Ok had a quick look through the thread and as you already know it is a common occurance.
Alot of cases we replace the globes with genuine longlife globes and never hear about it again. The longlife globes are rated to 960hrs where the standards are only 400hrs.

On other threads I have recommended Phillips long life eco vision globes. Since I wacked these bad boys in, problem solvered. There is a thread somewhere, but from memory I threw the troublesome passengers side globe in at 80k, I've done 130k and I do a lot of night driving.....They are rated to 1500 hours.

That's interesting, thanks.. I don't recall seeing Tim's excellent post either!  :goodjob:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
I'm now up to about six years' total  i30 ownership and I haven't had a single blow.   :neutral:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I'm now up to about six years' total  i30 ownership and I haven't had a single blow.   :neutral:

That seems a bit hard to swallow!

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Tongue in cheek, of course.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Even uglier when you pull that face, Dave...  :P

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Thats what happens when you get married.....

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
^ Haha brilliant!

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
Alright im trying these out this weekend. This is the first time I have ever bought standard globes.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Where did you get those?

Mine come in a funky plastic 2 pack.

The higher intensity headlight globes might give you more light, but they also burn hotter, the filament is thinner  and they have a shorter life. Might be why your pinging so many.

I once got a globe replaced with a cheap servo job, it didn't last long at all....

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Did you guys get the TSB for the headlight wiring mod in .au that we did here in the uk?

Even my +120's seem to be lasting so far. I have cleaned the earths too.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal