i30 Owners Club

Turbo Diesel Auto Gearbox - Test Drive

Thumper · 15 · 4088

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Test drove an auto CRDi i30 today on behalf of my mother and auntie who wish to purchase i30's (After looking at mine)

They wanted to know how well an auto drove and what I thought about the auto version.

Firstly, this was a demo vehicle with 1,000km on the clock. So I guess it has been flogged within an inch of it's life. Secondly, it was a pov pack SX.

First thing I noticed was, how uninspiring the standard steering wheel is. (Non-leather) It just felt, well, hard and uninviting. Where the SLX's leather steering wheel feels much nicer and enjoyable to hold.

Secondly the lack of lumber support on the seat was obvious from the first minute.

The all black interior was just 'too' much black. (SLX with it's grey breaks up the inside just that little bit, it makes a huge difference)

Out on the road, the road noise from the smaller tires was louder than my own SLX. The engine was also noisier whilst on boost.

I also noted that whilst I need roughly 1/4 throttle to accelerate swiftly from a standstill in my manual, the auto requires almost 1/2 throttle for the same acceleration.

The engine prefers to sit between 2,000rpm and 3,000rpm through all the gears, whilst keeping up with the flow of traffic. I could with some coaxing get it into top gear and cruise along at only 1,500rpm. Once there it was more than happy to accelerate away without dropping down a gear or two.

Interestingly I found it to have traction issues once it came on boost in 1st gear. There would be nothing....Nothing....Then a sudden on boost rush as both front wheels spun easily.

I will be strongly suggesting for ESP+Traction control for my mother and auntie.

All in all, the auto is very capable, easy to drive, slightly unresponsive to throttle, slightly noisier than the manual version.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks for that Thumper...

Geez I was about to slit my wrists... until I read the last sentence!

I'd love to read a review of our first meeting....

"He's a fat bastard with not much hair and glasses...A bit of a tosspot...

But he's a top bloke and I like him a lot..... :lol:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CHB

• 2nd Gear
Ouch!!!

I think you stabbed a blade through the engine of my i30 manual pov pack :(

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi CHB.... I'm sure it's still a great car..... A nice thick set of Lambswool seatcovers makes a world of difference and it depends what you're used to with things like the steering wheel.... ;)

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Lol, sorry. I am rather a direct 'being' that talks directly about 'things'. (I don't sugar coat anything)  :D

Sorry if what I said offended anyone.  :?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

She'll be right m8... I do it all the time myself... Just offended Eyma  :?

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Thats right Dazz,

I am crying into my tea-cup, make that schooner glass. :?:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Eyma,

I don't frequent pubs very often (except for food..) I just call them a ten ounce, think some call them a schooner ( don't hear the term pots much?)

Rgds,

Dazz

Offline echocae

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth WA
What Thumper said about the SX auto was right, it was unpromising.

when i try DEMO SX auto it was veby bad,eg. lack of lumbar, noise, and steering wheel is like a toy... (the millage was 1000 km's), and at that time i was unconvince to buy SX auto.. but then they (dealer salesmen) told me that the demo version of the SX is different than "Customer version", and then i tell them " OK, i take a the SX AUTO model, but if everythings still the same as DEMO, you gonna upgrade me to SLX for free" and he agree, and put that on the "CONTRACT"... few weeks later  i got my SX auto.. its different that what i try, its better lumbar, engine noise is reduce alot, and steering wheels is responsive very good. since then i'm still happy with my SX auto, eventhought i hope they "Fked it up" and upgrade me for free :P ,only different in car features/toys.. and I promise my self to avoid to buy anything with too much technology (I learn from my past mistake :P)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Thumper, i drove both SLX & SX CRDi could not tell the difference but was not realy paying much attention to the feel of the steering wheel, but did not like the look of the SLX  seat i prefer one colour i would have an SLX if it had leather one colour seats. could not notice much difference in steering feel between the two.
my V8 ute is a lot more exciting to drive :D

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Lakes,

Yur back (I was worried about ya..) Have you got a note for "the Teacher"... :mrgreen:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Quote from: "Lakes"
Thumper, i drove both SLX & SX CRDi could not tell the difference but was not realy paying much attention to the feel of the steering wheel, but did not like the look of the SLX  seat i prefer one colour i would have an SLX if it had leather one colour seats. could not notice much difference in steering feel between the two.
my V8 ute is a lot more exciting to drive :D

LOL Daz, my GF and i went away for two weeks left the car behind, we were down Adelaide visiting her family had a great time there ! did not see any i30's at all but did not pass any Hyundai dealers
 what you been up to?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi John...

Something different... spending a fair bit of time on my computer.. and chasing quotes from builders, for my house.. and working extra hours at work to cover a bloke who hurt his back... :(

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Well good to here you are busy m8, good luck with the builders hope you find a good one at the right price.
hey did you know they drink more iced coffee in SA than anything else :D  unless it's Coopers Beer LOL
Cheers

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hey John,

That's one way of avoiding the Lousy water they apparently have in S.A.  :lol:

Shivers... better be careful (Dave might put me in the sin bin...)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal