i30 Owners Club

Windscreen washers not squirting

Offline bingbonglong

• 2nd Gear
Hello all. I have a 1.4 petrol i30 comfort on a 59 plate. When I try to use the windscreen washers (this affects both back and front), I can hear the pump whirring but little/no water comes out. I don't think it's squirting out anywhere else because the screenwash tank level isn't going down. Is this a blockage somewhere? Is there anything I can do myself?? I need to put it in for MOT before 9th Oct and I assume this is a fail??
  • i30 1.4 comfort petrol

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
I think the intake filter in the pump is blocked.

You can access the washer pump by removing the plastic wheel arc.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK

From the time I replaced the washerpump.

• i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
This happened to me just a week or so ago.

Posted here...

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=36838.0

The filter and tube was gunged up so the dealer used compressed air to clear the blockage..
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
.. and yes, it is a fail - if it's fitted, it must work.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline bingbonglong

• 2nd Gear
Thank you for all the replies. So quick! Asterix, how do you get the wheel arc off? And once it's off which bit on your photo do I need to clear? Thanks again.
  • i30 1.4 comfort petrol

Offline bingbonglong

• 2nd Gear
And eye30, thanks too. I'll try ringing the dealer tomorrow and tell them about your experience. Which dealer did you use (just so i can quote it).
  • i30 1.4 comfort petrol

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
The wheel arc is fitted with a few screws, easy to remove when wheel is off.

You need to remove the washer pump to access the filter, which I believe is located in the bottom of the pump.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline bingbonglong

• 2nd Gear
Thanks again. I'm a bit inexperienced at all this but keen to learn. Is the pump the black box at the bottom right of your picture? What does the filter look like?

I'm guessing there are two pumps, one for front and one for back. Is there just one filter?
  • i30 1.4 comfort petrol

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
No, 1 pump only supplying both front and rear.

The pump is the unit on the right hand side of the Water tank. The hose on the front is for the washer fluid. The multiconnector you can see is the top part of the washer pump. The pump is just mounted into a rubber so easy to remove.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline bingbonglong

• 2nd Gear
Thank you for this. Do you think i'll need any parts? This is my only transport and I don't want to take the wheel off, then find out I need some parts and have to put the wheel back on to go and buy them!

And once the pump is off, where is the filter?
  • i30 1.4 comfort petrol

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
As you can hear the washer pump run I don't think so, but I can't be sure.

If you can get a new pump with the possibility to return it if not used, then that's what I would do. (This is often possible if the part is on stock, if they have to order it for you they normally won't take it back)

The filter should be part of the pump where the fluid is sucked into the pump from the tank.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline bingbonglong

• 2nd Gear
OK so water enters the pump direct through the wall of the tank and leaves through the tube on the front face? And the filter will be revealed when I separate the pump from the tank?

Out of interest, with only one pump, how does it decide whether the water goes to front or back??
  • i30 1.4 comfort petrol

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
OK so water enters the pump direct through the wall of the tank and leaves through the tube on the front face? And the filter will be revealed when I separate the pump from the tank?

Yes.

Out of interest, with only one pump, how does it decide whether the water goes to front or back??

Attached to the White round thingy in the bottom there's 2 hoses, one for front and one for rear. I don't know exactly how the internals work, but my guess is there's 2 chambers inside the pump.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
This is the part number for my 2008, I guess yours will be the same. Bought mine from Korea (koraps.com) as my local Hyundai dealer wanted ca 90 EUR. Price in Korea was ca 30 EUR (IIRC) but delivery time was 3-4 weeks.

985102L100

:link: Windshield Washer Pump 985102L100 for Hyundai Elantra Touring 07 12 Tracking | eBay
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline bingbonglong

• 2nd Gear
Thank you. I hope I don't need a new pump because I need this all working for the MOT before Oct 9th!
  • i30 1.4 comfort petrol

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
You shouldn't do - if it is whirring then it is probably working1 2, the fact neither front nor back are working indicate blockage pre-pump (probably not the two-way valves3 - the white thingy with the pipes coming off it).

eye30 posted a topic (which you read) and at the end of it cruiserfied posted a reply/msg :link: Window washers not spraying fluid/ working - so I would assume you just release the clip and then rotate the pump slightly (much like circular covers for button batteries) around the inlet (bottom) and it should come loose/free... just remember the fluid is going to come rushing out to meet you!  :D

1 If the part that actually moves the fluid is broken - it will usually jam a motor. Unless the axial mount split AND the mount+motor shaft are not notched/keyed - in which case the shaft would just spin, but probably not.
2 Depending on the motor design a motor operating with no load can eventually burn out, but probably not an issue in this case.
3 One would assume, considering application and cost, it would simply be bi-position (rather than having a 3rd center-off position)... in which case, if failed, you would always get the fluid from either front or back irrespective of lever.
3 Turns out the direction of the pump determines where the fluid flows to - so these are likely just non-return valves (and somewhere to attach a pipe).
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 04:23:34 by ibrokeit »
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Sorry haven't read all the references in the thread but I get the impression there is no hose between tank and pump. That leaves hose connections between pump and sprayers. If I were still checking my previous cars, I'd be looking for hose seal or kink problems, maybe even signs of water leaking somewhere. How about the old toothpick in the sprayer trick? Just saying, if not covered in the advice so far. :confused:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Please use a jack stand for safety as well as the jack when lifting the car, before looking at the pump.  :exclaim:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Please use a jack stand for safety as well as the jack when lifting the car, before looking at the pump.  :exclaim:
No need to look at pump, jack car up or remove wheel/arch cover if you blow air through the pipe to clear it.

Offline bingbonglong

• 2nd Gear
Hi all. Thanks for all the info. I didn't see some of the later posts before I had a go at the car this morning. I managed to get access to the tank and pump by partially removing the plastic wheel arch. The pump separates from the tank without screws to reveal its inlet filter. It was quite gungy so I cleaned it out. I also emptied the tank and tried to wash it out several times with warm water. Quite a lot of gungy jelly came out during that process.

I've put it all back together again. There is a definiteimprovement but it's not perfect. Now I get water quite often, front and back, but not always straight away. Sometimes it needs a long squirt. Sometimes it needs several squirts. When the wate does flow, it is a nice strong stream. It is better with the engine running than without. I'm wondering if the pump is on its last legs or if there is an airlock somewhere.

A friend mentioned a non return valve in the system. Does anyone know where that is?

Any other thoughts? Many many thanks for all your help.
  • i30 1.4 comfort petrol

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Did you clean out the tubes as well?

Result ,partly.
So will be ok for mot

Offline bingbonglong

• 2nd Gear
No I didn't know how to detach them and it seemed unlikely that they were the cause because sometimes there is a good flow and because the problem affects both front and back.

You reckon if I can show that the washers can be made to work I can get it through the MOT??
  • i30 1.4 comfort petrol

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Sorry haven't read all the references in the thread but I get the impression there is no hose between tank and pump. That leaves hose connections between pump and sprayers. If I were still checking my previous cars, I'd be looking for hose seal or kink problems, maybe even signs of water leaking somewhere. How about the old toothpick in the sprayer trick? Just saying, if not covered in the advice so far. :confused:

Yup - regards between tank and pump... no hose.   The pump fits directly into the tank - however there is, apparently, a filter on the pump inlet... which can get blocked with one, or another, type of 'gunge' (windscreen cleaner residue or organisms that grow in water).  To clean that you need to remove pump from tank.
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

No I didn't know how to detach them and it seemed unlikely that they were the cause because sometimes there is a good flow and because the problem affects both front and back.

You reckon if I can show that the washers can be made to work I can get it through the MOT??
As far as i know water has to spray onto the screen so it can be cleaned of dirt.

What i would do is make sure water does reach screen and screen is clean so no streaks are left by a sweep of the wipers.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Ps check out the tube in the engine area.

Find the join then clear with compressed air just like i did.

Offline bingbonglong

• 2nd Gear
Thanks again but if it was a blocked tube, wouldn't it affect from or back but not both?
  • i30 1.4 comfort petrol

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Would expect rear to have same set up with join in convenient place.

May look tomorrow was gone dark outside here.

Offline bingbonglong

• 2nd Gear
What I meant was that it would be unusual for two separate tubes to get blocked at the same time, wouldn't it?
  • i30 1.4 comfort petrol

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal