i30 Owners Club

Weak Air Blowers 2009 I30 2.0 S

Red Bri · 21 · 7145

Offline Red Bri

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Gold Coast
Hi All,

Trying to find out if anybody knows of an issue with the 2009 I30 2.0 S which makes the air blowers in the car quite weak? If the blowers are set at 1 or 2 then there is very little air flow, 3 is a bit better and then 4 is a bit better again.

Would a dirty pollen filter cause some kind of restriction? It probably hasn't been charged in about 5 years  :-[

It is the same regardless of whether it is on outside or recirculated. The vents are generally set to face only as any others make the air flow worse.

Haven't been able to get into another similar model to compare but it just feels underpowered to me. My 2009 Getz blasts your face off on 4!

Hope you might know of some kind of spooky magic that i can work to get it sorted again :-)

Cheers
Bri

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Bri,

I vaguely recall a similar query a while back that got some good help. :goodjob:

I'm thinking pipe kinked or come adrift. Don't think it's the filter as many have good flow still without changing theirs.  :undecided:

Hopefully someone can recall the details or find the thread! :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Red Bri

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Gold Coast
Thanks Dazzler, i did a quick search but didn't find anything? I'll use the Wifes computer and search the inter web for "Weak Korean Blower" lol

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks Dazzler, i did a quick search but didn't find anything? I'll use the Wifes computer and search the inter web for "Weak Korean Blower" lol

Not sure that will work...  :lol: I will have a search and see if I can find anything. If I do I'll post a link here. Give it time. It might take a few days for others to see this and reply.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Found this (not much help) still looking!

:link: No air flow from Aircon after a while

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Maybe it is the filter...

:link: Pollen Filter...

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I'm with the "constricted filter" brigade, though I seem to recall a fault related to a resistor on the blower board.

EDIT:   :link: Air Con/Heater problem

Maybe unrelated, and a shame we didn't get more feedback within the thread
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Yeah - I would be checking your cabin air filter (is what I think they call it) first.

If you find it need replacing (probably does if it hasn't for 5 years) then you can get replacements through Super Cheap - though your local will probably not have stock to hand.   I am pretty damn sure the same filter was used in all FD models... looks like they have two - Sakura SPO3435036 @$10.99 and Ryco SPO2877639 @$27.10 (as compared to OEM - 97133-1H500 - at $71.31).  However you can always use the SC Parts Guide, which gets you to select car details then shows suitable parts, to check.

Based on the thread where it was the resistor - the fact you get flow, even if SFA, at the different settings probably means it isn't that (though still something to consider if something else isn't found).  Again, if something else can't be found, it could be the motor... not developing enough power for what ever reason (maybe shorted turns?) but better to check other things first.

One other thing that occurred to me is - the internal (to cabin air system) air flow direction mechanisms (panels, etc.) which act like valves... could one (or more) be stuck partially open?  I suspect you would find air coming out where it isn't supposed to in that case... having more than one set of vents getting air (or only partial opening to desired vents) would probably reduce flow at vents.   How to determine which one it is, if it is this at all, no idea sorry - except the initial check of seeing if air is coming out an unexpected vent (for vent selection).
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline Red Bri

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Gold Coast
Thanks all, you have been a great help  :goodjob2: :goodjob:

I removed the air filters from the car and let it run with no filters in place and it was great so i think that has to be the cause of the issue.  :happydance:

Rather than run it without the filters i have given them a bit of a scrape and hoover as i couldn't get new filters today.

I'll order some today and whack them in soon.

Thanks again for your help  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Thanks all, you have been a great help  :goodjob2: :goodjob:

I removed the air filters from the car and let it run with no filters in place and it was great so i think that has to be the cause of the issue.  :happydance:

Rather than run it without the filters i have given them a bit of a scrape and hoover as i couldn't get new filters today.

I'll order some today and whack them in soon.

Thanks again for your help  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Great you found the issue!!!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

We are only helpful on days ending in a Y  :mrgreen:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Which day is that then!
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Which day is that then!

Work it out Lester   :workitout:

Offline swiss_i30cw

• 2nd Gear

Would a dirty pollen filter cause some kind of restriction? It probably hasn't been charged in about 5 years  :-[

There are two type of drivers: the one who change the pollen filter and the one who don't. You recons the second type to the "magic tree" hanging under the mirror and hiding the foul smell of the junk stuck in the aircon. :P

Cheers.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

There are two type of drivers: the one who change the pollen filter and the one who don't. You recons the second type to the "magic tree" hanging under the mirror and hiding the foul smell of the junk stuck in the aircon. :P

Cheers.

:question: :question: :confused:

Offline Gof

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Two Wells, SA
The most common faults for poor air flow are clogged filter (the most common) and the next one is the plain bearings (bushes) in the fan motor drying out, making it run slow, eventually causing the rotor windings burn out, can be accompanied with a squeaking noise and/or scorching smells.
  • 2011 SX I30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

The most common faults for poor air flow are clogged filter (the most common) and the next one is the plain bearings (bushes) in the fan motor drying out, making it run slow, eventually causing the rotor windings burn out, can be accompanied with a squeaking noise and/or scorching smells.

Interesting. Are you a mechanic or auto electrician or something?  :cool:

Offline Gof

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Two Wells, SA
Neither, I started as a tradesman studied up to mechanical design engineering and worked in industrial electronics and automation, it is more of a hobby.
  • 2011 SX I30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Neither, I started as a tradesman studied up to mechanical design engineering and worked in industrial electronics and automation, it is more of a hobby.

Thanks, that explains it then!  :goodjob:

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Yeah, I know this guy (OK but a bit of a show pony) who started as an electronics technician and ended up as a Masters qualified Senior Design Engineer. He still misses the smell of solder flux and isopropyl alcohol, apparently. :rolleyes:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
As software QA I miss solder flux and iso smells - don't miss the occasional splatter of solder, burnt skin, irritated eyes, etc.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal