i30 Owners Club

Hyundai wins with German virtues (Kleinwagen im test)

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Now, some here once said that we would never see a German car magazine let a Hyundai win over a German car, but guess what, it just happened.

It's in German, by the way...

:link: Kleinwagen im Test: Hyundai i20 schlägt Seriensieger VW Polo - autobild.de

Here's the verdict:

Conclusion

Close race, but the Hyundai deserves to win . With the i20 Hyundai do little wrong and a lot right. The Polo has not lost its strengths - but is not the youngest. Also Corsa and Mazda have caught up, the Renault goes behind somewhat.

• i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer
Well, it is a European design, from a European Center and a European Head Designer, all of which are German or based in Germany.

So basically it's a German car anyway (like the i30)

And..... even if you dropped a rock on an i20 it would still look beter than a Polo or a Corsa  :happydance:
  • 2015 i30 GO! 1.6 GDi 5d Hatch, 6MT, Phantom Black

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Well, it is a European design, from a European Center and a European Head Designer, all of which are German or based in Germany.

But made in India by Tata

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Well you learn something new every day.
I thought the Euro i20 was made in Europe.
I know we get the Indian one.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia

So is your T-shirt, probably.  :snigger:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

• Fylde Coast England 1.4 petrol Comfort

Well you learn something new every day.
I thought the Euro i20 was made in Europe.
I know we get the Indian one.

The i10 and i20 for Europe are also made in Chennai India, though I thought Hyundai set up the plant rather than outsourcing to Tata.

A friend has an 5 year old i10 and it seems quite well built to me. Been very reliable apart from a faulty gear linkage which was replaced under warranty.
Yep. My daughter in law has an i20 and both she and my son (both engineers) are impressed with its finish.
And as I related elsewhere my sister in law and her husband had one in Tassie and were very impressed with it.
TBH despite my initial concerns I haven't heard any bad tales about them yet.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 00:47:57 by Surferdude »

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

No mention of Tata here:  :undecided:
:link: From the factory - A visit to the Hyundai Motor India Chennai plant | Business Standard News
[/quote]

Thanks for the link.
My wife  replaced her 7 year old trouble free Getz with an i20, now a year old, and we are very happy with it.  However, the dealer's salesman said it was made in India by Tata and this was taken as fact.  Just goes to show you just can't trust a car salesman!

By way of excuse my son was involved with Tata when the City Rover hit the UK and he spent some weeks in India and met Mr Tata several times so to be told that the i20 is  produced by that company seemed totally acceptable but I should have known better now on my fourth Hyundai..

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal