i30 Owners Club

Changing headlamp bulb

pumpo64 · 79 · 36640

Offline pumpo64

• 2nd Gear
No doubt it's been covered before - I've changed a headlamp bulb on my i30 today and took the opportunity to photograph the process, with the photos uploaded to photobucket:

http://s1117.photobucket.com/albums/k583/howardsinclair/Hyundai%20i30%20headlamp%20bulb%20change/?albumview=slideshow&direction=reverse

For some reason, the slideshow has to run in reverse for the sequence to be as I intended it!

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

• Kolpino is the capital of Russia (founded in 1722)
No doubt it's been covered before - I've changed a headlamp bulb on my i30 today and took the opportunity to photograph the process, with the photos uploaded to photobucket:

http://s1117.photobucket.com/albums/k583/howardsinclair/Hyundai%20i30%20headlamp%20bulb%20change/?albumview=slideshow&direction=reverse

For some reason, the slideshow has to run in reverse for the sequence to be as I intended it!
Thanks for the photo review, I know some Russian owners have changed both bulbs without even removing the body of headlight, so I'm gonna try it later on as I have been driving with original bulbs since I purchased the car in Jan 2010.
I just wonder if you had to adjust the light beam once the headlight had been installed.

Offline pumpo64

• 2nd Gear
It used to be that cars had enough space around their headlamps for bulbs to be changed by owners without any fuss - then manufacturers realised that by cramming everything in, a simple job could be made difficult enough for people to be put off from trying themselves - so more money for their dealers...  I had a Ford Focus, and its headlamp bulbs were a nightmare to change.

It is possible to change the i30's bulbs without removing the whole unit, but other items (e.g. the coolant bottle) may need to be moved; also, the job is still fiddly.  By removing the whole unit, it's much easier and can be accomplished in just a few minutes.

Offline pumpo64

• 2nd Gear
Just to add, regarding adjustment - I didn't check or adjust anything - but I'm going out this evening and so if there's anything wrong, it should be apparent.

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Does doing it this way affect alignment in any way?
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

No. It shouldn't affect where your wheels are pointing............. "boom boom" :rofl:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Forgot to add. Excellent guide. I always would prefer to replace bulbs without having to remove the headlight but your guide has given me the confidence to do it this way when the time comes.
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I just wonder if you had to adjust the light beam once the headlight had been installed.

And

Nope, the headlight goes back in in exactly the same position as before it was removed, so no adjustment is needed..... :goodjob:

Oh, and It's very easy to remove the headlight, even I had no trouble doing it.... :winker:

Offline pumpo64

• 2nd Gear
No alignment problems - I went out last night and the beam was exactly where it should be.

In fact, I didn't see how/where to adjust this anyway.  Does anyone know?

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
No alignment problems - I went out last night and the beam was exactly where it should be.

In fact, I didn't see how/where to adjust this anyway.  Does anyone know?

It's here.

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,1641.0.html
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

Yesterday, when I started the engine in order to get back home, my left bulb burnt, so I had to change it in the afternoon.
I should have started with the right one (I changed the second one too) with better access and view, but decided against and was stuck with bulb retainer. So having undertaken some futile attempts I decided to remove the headlight body, after removing three bolts I failed to remover it, but could shift it a little bit in its seat. I wish I had had a mirror, then everything would have passed smoothly, but I didn't have one. I was lucky to meet one of my friends pass by, so he helped me.
The right bulb was changed easily after removing the tank with coolant (two bolts were unscrewed and the tank was shifted sideways).  :happydance:

I set a pair of Osram Ultralife bulbs.

Offline Och_i30

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
I gave up trying to change the headlight bulb on my i30.  Something was going to break before I could have levered the headlamp out the front.  Luckily it was my nerve that broke first!  I asked the main dealer how it's done and he said they loosen and drop the front bumper to release the headlamp.  Anyone tried this method?

Offline Ugly Mongrel

• V.I.P
  • H.O.S. inmate

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld

• Sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
I gave up trying to change the headlight bulb on my i30.  Something was going to break before I could have levered the headlamp out the front.  Luckily it was my nerve that broke first!  I asked the main dealer how it's done and he said they loosen and drop the front bumper to release the headlamp.  Anyone tried this method?

Och_i30, I have changed my bulbs (hi & low beam) and didn't loosen or drop the front bumper. I simply removed the headlamp assembly bolts and slid the whole assembly out. It was a bit fiddly but it can be done.
  • Lubricious, the greatest 2010 CW Auto diesel.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
In 122,000 kms I haven't yet had to change any globe, other than one number plate globe.
(He says, looking for the "touch wood" smiley....)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I gave up trying to change the headlight bulb on my i30.  Something was going to break before I could have levered the headlamp out the front.  Luckily it was my nerve that broke first!  I asked the main dealer how it's done and he said they loosen and drop the front bumper to release the headlamp.

Next time I'm down London way I'll show you how little your dealer knows about such bulby things :)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
I've replaced them quite some times - I think I've taken them out (and back) 10 times last month (testing different xenon bulbs, etc).

Beside taking out those obvious 3 screws, that hold the headlight, I would advise to take the screw, that I've marked on the picture below. With doing that, the bumper is more "flexible" (5 cm) around the headlight area, which can be helpful, especially when you are just about to lose your nerves and kick the headlight back in with your foot  :lol:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I've replaced them quite some times - I think I've taken them out (and back) 10 times last month (testing different xenon bulbs, etc).

Beside taking out those obvious 3 screws, that hold the headlight, I would advise to take the screw, that I've marked on the picture below. With doing that, the bumper is more "flexible" (5 cm) around the headlight area, which can be helpful, especially when you are just about to lose your nerves and kick the headlight back in with your foot  :lol:

:lol: :thanx: (I never had a problem either)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

I would advise to take the screw, that I've marked on the picture below. With doing that, the bumper is more "flexible" (5 cm) around the headlight area, which can be helpful, especially when you are just about to lose your nerves and kick the headlight back in with your foot  :lol:

Yes, some Russian owners claim the same, but the easiest way to change bulb is without removing a headlight at all - may take up to 6 minutes in total for both of them.

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria
As an aside to this (saves starting another thread) who's installed HID headlight globes and what's involved? I've heard that you have to install controller or power supply boxes and other bits and pieces in addition to the globe itself?

I'm wondering if I can replace the standard high beam globe with a HID one.

I've started to do some night driving, now that our nights are getting longer here in the southern hemisphere (I've only had the car since late Nov and when we're in daylight saving time). The lights are good, but as they say, the brighter, the better...
  • 2014 Hyndai ix35 Highlander TD/2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
mjt57,

I assume you're aware that unless the car is born with them, they're considered illegal.  :neutral:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
I would advise to take the screw, that I've marked on the picture below. With doing that, the bumper is more "flexible" (5 cm) around the headlight area, which can be helpful, especially when you are just about to lose your nerves and kick the headlight back in with your foot  :lol:

Yes, some Russian owners claim the same, but the easiest way to change bulb is without removing a headlight at all - may take up to 6 minutes in total for both of them.

I don't see a way to replace the bulb in i30, without removing the headlight - in the diesel at least. In petrol, it might be possible.

As for installing the xenon hid kit:

1. It's illegal in most countries, so I would advise you not to do it. But if you do it (like I did), you must know, that you might have some problems with the police. Depends on the police in your area. So far, I haven't had any, but you never know..

2. If you do it, it's easy. Plug-and-play. You plug it like I've marked in the pictures below. On one picture you have so called "ballast" and on the other "the xenon bulb". Orange with orange, green with green. The two "wires" that I've marked with blue, go in the socket, which (if normal bulbs installed) goes directly on the bulbs. So that's basically it. Oh yes..and you must drill the hole in the cap, so all the cables can go through the cap. The black thing, that I've marked with pink square is a "sealant", which prevents water and other things to go into the bulb. You must be careful to drill the hole in the caps as wide as the "sealant" (the narrower middle part of the sealant). As for the bulb itself..nothing special. Goes in like normal bulbs.

3. In the end you "fixate" the ballasts somewhere - you can see it in the 2 pictures below, where I have them.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Geez, you are good accim  :happydance:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline meehalych

• V.I.P
  • Aircraft technician

• ru Russian Federation
      Kolpino

I don't see a way to replace the bulb in i30, without removing the headlight - in the diesel at least. In petrol, it might be possible.
but I did that  :P: the left bulb is the easiest one, whereas the right one requires washing fluid's tank be shifted sideways by unscrewing two bolts, which attach it to car's structure.

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
but I did that  :P: the left bulb is the easiest one, whereas the right one requires washing fluid's tank be shifted sideways by unscrewing two bolts, which attach it to car's structure.

Yes, as I've said. Maybe the petrol engine. I replaced the "passenger" bulb in my uncles Kia Ceed (1.4 petrol). But in diesel, you can't shift the washing fluid's tank, because it goes "through" the chassis. I'll take few pictures and you'll see there's no way you can replace them without removing the headlights. The same with "drivers" side. Even if you remove the battery, there's some plastic in the way.

But new i30 should have that thing sorted out (or at least easier), because of the regulative, which orders the manufacturers to make the replacement - not too complicated. There were some brands, where you had to remove almost 1/2 of the engine, to replace the bulb  :rolleyes:

Offline Och_i30

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom

Thanks for the tip and the photo Accim.  I'll try it next time a sidelight bulb goes.  Should be about 3-6 months. 
I could believe that at 'trained hand' could change the bulb on the washer side without removing the headlamp but I don't think there would be enough space on the battery side (at least on the 1.6 diesel anyway). 
And anyone who has suitably small and dexterous hands for this should be lambing sheep at this time of year!

Offline i30sean

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Hemel Hempstead UK
HELP I have tried but can't get the light assembly out on the passenger side  :(

My headlight bulb has blown and I have undone the 3 bolts plus the extra one shown in the pics above I managed to get the hook in the corner of assembly out and pulled but it wouldn't come out and not enough room to change the bulb, the pictures at the start of this tread are no longer on line anyone got a video or more pics please???

Thanks i30sean

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I ripped mine out the other day and it took me around 7 minutes all up and that included fiddling around testing it before I bolted it all back up.

I found the secret is to have your tongue out to the left while attempting to remove it....lol.

If that doesn't work, try taking a coffee break after you've sworn at it a few times and then come back to it....this usually works for me.... :winker:

Now, If you're still having trouble, I think you'll find there's a slight lip on the headlight that catches on the bodywork, (roughly in line with the grille) that stops the headlight assembly from coming out easily. Get that clear of the bodywork and you're then laughin'.... :D

Good luck!  :goodjob:

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria
I wonder - would there be a case for a warranty claim (ie. get the dealer to replace it) if the car isn't all that old? I've never considered such a thing before because it's never been an issue, but I've read threads about diesel i30s having globe failures (no-one could say why).
  • 2014 Hyndai ix35 Highlander TD/2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Offline i30sean

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Hemel Hempstead UK
Well MJT57 I will be on the phone to Hyundai UK this morning the car is 2 years 4months old and covered 28,000mls I'm going to mention fact that a bulb should last longer than this but don't hold your breath  :faint:

My motorbike is 4years 8months old and covered 40K and never needed a bulb and it has running lights.

i30Sean

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal