i30 Owners Club

2014 Hyundai i30 CRDi Manual Hatch: Trophy or Elite?

kimmie · 19 · 9462

Offline kimmie

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
Greetings,

I am in the market for one, was about to get the Elite, but was told that they have Trophy for slightly cheaper price, but has leather seat, auto fold side mirror, and some more upgrades.

Need an input from you all, which one I should go for? The Elite (keyless entry, etc but no leather seat) or the Trophy?

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
  • MY10 CRDi i30 SLX Hyper Silver & MY14 CRDi i30 Trophy Sleek Silver

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I guess the Trophy is slightly better value, but it depends on your own priorities.  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Bushy

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Mordialloc, Victoria

• 2013 i30 Elite Tourer CRDI Auto "Cool Red"
Agree that it depends on your priorities and needs.  Has alloy wheels side repeaters, premium steering wheel and gear knob and folding mirrors like the Elite, plus the leather seats which the Elite doesn't have.

But then with the Elite you get sat nav, dual zone climate control, dusk sensing headlights etc.

So what is more important to you? Plus what you can afford of course....

• 2013 i30 Tourer Elite CRDI 1.6L D Auto Red

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Hi Kimmie, I went to the dealer in the first place to look at the Trophy, I was determined to keep in that price range . As there was not a Trophy to road test  the wife and I road tested an Elite . We loved the Sat nav with the bigger screen and the rear camera and as Dazzler said it is what suits you, personally the combination leather plus what ever seats do worry me about long term wear but that is only my opinion , for all I know they could wear better than the material seats,  members with the leather seats would be more qualified than me to comment on them. Specifications will show all the extra bits and pieces on the Elite compared to the Trophy. I do believe the Trophy is good value . One thing you do get with the Trophy is a Trophy badge, the others do not get a model badge. The only thing I suggest is sit in the different models and if funds allow go with your heart. :)
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
From the title of the thread,as far as I'm aware the Trophy does not come in diesel,so if it in fact a CRDi Manual hatch your after,you'll have to go the elite,maybe I'm wrong,I have know to be wrong on one or two occasions  :whistler:
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
There are some unhappy HY satnav owners here, so if you already have one, I would stick with that and have the leather seats as my choice, folding mirrors cost an arm & a leg, too. Just my opinion of course. Naturally, it would have to be Diesel.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I have the Elite and very happy with the sat nav performance. It never skips a beat, especially in the CBD areas where many sat navs go bonkers.  Elite checklist is very thorough whereas the Trophy seems to tick the list on some big picture stuff, so would be entirely based on your priorities.  Decisions, Decisions.. sigh!!

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
From the title of the thread,as far as I'm aware the Trophy does not come in diesel,so if it in fact a CRDi Manual hatch your after,you'll have to go the elite,maybe I'm wrong,I have know to be wrong on one or two occasions  :whistler:

Make that three occasions, Rick.... :D

Hyundai i30, Elantra, ix35 Trophy | new car sales price | carsguide.com.au

Hyundai i30 Trophy - Hyundai brings back Trophy models | GoAuto

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
You can too get a CRDI trophy.

With the $1000 gift card on the Trophy, I think the decision has been made.....Well if it was my mind anyway.......
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
 :agreed: beerman  :goodjob2:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline kimmie

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
Hi all,

Thanks so much for the input... Really valuable and truly appreciate your time spent to reply.

I am more leaning toward Trophy too, and yes, they are available in 1.6DT Man - which is a MUST for me, given the travel that I will do every year. I currently own a 2009 SLX (MY10) FD 1.6DT Manual and with fuel consumption of 4.8-5.0/100, no one will ever convince me to go elsewhere but 1.6DT Manual :-)

Given I will own the car for at least 5 years, I love the fact that leather seats will (or should!) last longer too. Am I right on that opinion? I have never had a real leather seat before, only a synthetic one on my 2005 Honda Jazz which failed miserably after 3 years (the surface falling off).

I own a good Garmin sat nav too, so wouldn't worry too much about satnav on the Elite. The 'only' feature I want on the Elite was just the rear camera. My dealer offer me $1,000 fitted for a third party rear camera that shows on the rear mirror. Anyone has experience with this model? Any good?

Was told the $1,000 EFT cash back is only available to MY13 Trophy, mainly the Petrol ones, and since I am after 1.6DT Manual, my dealer reckon I won't get one as this particular model is highly sought after, so he'd be very surprise if there's a dealer in Australia that still has MY13 of 1.6DT Manual.

My wife said (and normally she is ALWAYS right), better go with Trophy and use the extra $ to add optional accessories that we will need (i.e. towbar, bonnet+headlights protectors, dash mat, tint windows, carpet, etc).

So probably will go with Trophy...

So.... I am selling my 2009 i30 SLX (MY10) FD 1.6DT Manual in Hyper Silver, again another 'highly sought after' item I believe :-) Done less than 100,000KM, and that's ONLY country mileage. I work in country and am ALWAYS run against the traffic so very very very rarely that my i30 ever run idle in a traffic jam. I live 5KM away from tollway, and once I entered the tollway and hit 100kph, I activate my cruise control, and (literally) turn it off once I hit the parking lot of my workplace. I thought I should try selling it here first where I know most people are in LOVE with it, rather than carsales.com.au or have it trade-in. Oh I live in Melbourne... that might help.

Again, thanks all... I love this forum.. and really the fact that this forum is exist, is one of my reasons to stay with i30 for my next car. Brilliant family I have here!

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
G'day mate,

I believe there is a funky sat nav that you can throw a reverse camera into, probably save a fair chunk of that 1k too. But you have gone this long without a camera, do you need it?

There may not be any in Victoria, but there are a couple in South Oz, $24680 with no mention of the $1k, so you could expect to get that. Should help old mate to get the pencil sharp.....

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Nice post Kimmie (good luck with selling your FD)  :goodjob: 

Can get wireless reversing camera setups for $100 on special (you should be able to get a really good one for $200) $1000 is a joke!!!

Offline kimmie

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Victoria
Finally went with Trophy... Sleek Silver as thats the only one currently available in MEL... Will get it next week...

Anything I should know or do? I have never own a brand new car before in my life...  Anything I should or shouldn't do?

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
You can too get a CRDI trophy.

With the $1000 gift card on the Trophy, I think the decision has been made.....Well if it was my mind anyway.......
bummer wish they had the Trophy version,of the CRDI when I bought Bruce and Cyril,when I bought them they were only in petrol's(the Trophies that is not Bruce and Cyril)
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Congratulations Kimmie, I don't think you have to do much with a new car except enjoy it, I know with the daughters i30 they recommend not idling for too long but that is a petrol engine not sure if that applies to the diesel as well, plenty of folks on this forum with CRDI who will answer that. I know when she was setting up her phone and the GPS the warning came on to start the engine to save running the battery too low so she let the engine idle then. All the best with your new car. Sleek Silver is the colour I have ordered as well I reckon they look great.
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Hi Kimmie, I would go with the Trophy, wish i had leather seats. also i don't like the idea of hard wired GPS, as they are talking about charging for every k we drive in the future. i don't know what they will use to monitor how far we drive, but that is one way to do it.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:wts:  :goodjob:

Just drive normally don't thrash it or jam on the brakes or anything.. things just need to bed in... :cool:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Congratulations.

Park miles away from everyone else in the car park to avoid door incidents (bonus exercise too).

As for running in, I think from memory the owners manual spoke of idling for too long, and I seem to recall something about staying at the same speed for too long too. For the first few thousand K's as I do a fair few highway miles, I would slow from 110 to 100 for a few k's then back to 90 when there was a slow truck I could follow. Then back up to 110.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal