i30 Owners Club

Service over-charging?

Offline BC solar

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Love my i30 (2012 GD diesel hatch), not so happy with the servicing.   One of the selling points was fixed price servicing ($280 odd for the diesel - for I believe 3 years).  At every service so far they've tried to charge more only to apologies when I point out I have fixed servicing.

This time at the start of the job I pointed out to the service manager I have fixed price, he said something about lifetime service plan to which I replied not sure of name but I bought the car Sept 2012 on the fixed priced servicing agreement.

While waiting for job to be done the service rep suggested it's a good idea to spray this can of 'something' he had in his hand to some part of the motor, I asked how much ? he replied $140, I said no thanks I'll just have the standard service.
At the end I was presented with a bill for $425, when I pointed out I have capped price servicing he said sorry this is the 60K service so this is the amount.   I'm yet to pay for the service. 

What is the deal here?  Anyone else bought an i30 late 2012 and had similar issues?

Thanks for reading this and thanks in advance for your input

• i30 Elite 1.6 CRDi

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
My understanding of Hyundais fixed price servicing is every service has a different fixed price,not actually sure why your still using Hyundai as a service agent you only have to use an accredited Mechanic to do log book servicing,many on the list do this and it is far far cheaper and you keep your warranty
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I think they have parallel fixed prices depending on when you got your car. You should come under the one you were promised back in 2012 when you bought your car. In 2013? they re-did the pricing when they went to lifetime fixed price servicing on all models (pretty sure the prices went up)

If you go to the Hyundai website you should be able to put in your year and model and engine type and check the scheduled prices.

It is coming up at $425 on their site for the 60K Diesel auto service..

:link: Lifetime Service Plan - Hyundai Motor Company Australia
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
not actually sure why your still using Hyundai as a service agent you only have to use an accredited Mechanic to do log book servicing,many on the list do this and it is far far cheaper and you keep your warranty
If I had my car serviced by any other I'd lose my iCare which stays valid for seven years if continually serviced by Hyundai, that's a huge benefit to lose :eek:

Offline crayman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie
How's that for a coincidence.
Just also got the 60,000k service and the fee was from that linked schedule, nothing to do with the supposed capped price we were told at time of purchase.
Of course their salesman has left so I'm in the process of digging through any paperwork.
Mr's was told by the 2- Hyundai dealerships she got her car price from back in 2013, that she'd never pay more than (approx) $200 per service for the 5-year unlimited k warranty.   
Now they're just grabbing servicing costs from that Sept 2014 press release.

• i-30

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Did you not argue this point at the time?  Problem with the lifetime service having changed 3 times since its inception is that everyone has difficulty working it out.

Given the turnover of vehicles, the dealer will no doubt try to charge the maximum, as from memory the fixed deal only applied to the original owner... There good like that.....
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
not actually sure why your still using Hyundai as a service agent you only have to use an accredited Mechanic to do log book servicing,many on the list do this and it is far far cheaper and you keep your warranty
If I had my car serviced by any other I'd lose my iCare which stays valid for seven years if continually serviced by Hyundai, that's a huge benefit to lose :eek:
What is iCare? The warranty or the free road side assist?

Our XD, FD and GD have never been to a Hyundai Dealership for servicing and had every single Warranty claim approved without a problem. Even including the failing Turbo charger on my FD.

I just make sure I buy the Genuine parts for the mechanic and the money I save on taking it to Hyundai I spend on good quality oil.

• 05 Hyundai Elantra Elite 5spd 2.0 Petrol, Black Sedan

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
I thought capped price servicing in Australia was a across the whole Hyundai range. Definately take note of the conditions when you do a free quote on the Hyundai website. Certain parts are excluded and will increase the price... Eg brake pads, air filters etc...

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Your vehicle was most likely one of the first of the iCare capped price servicing scheme.
It was always the 15k, 30k & 45k services. Any services after that will default back to the more recent lifetime capped service scheme as mentioned above. These prices are all online.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
What is iCare? The warranty or the free road side assist?

Our XD, FD and GD have never been to a Hyundai Dealership for servicing and had every single Warranty claim approved without a problem. Even including the failing Turbo charger on my FD.

I just make sure I buy the Genuine parts for the mechanic and the money I save on taking it to Hyundai I spend on good quality oil.
iCare is the roadside assist and towing and accommodation if you breakdown away from home, Hyundai servicing renews that free of charge every year.

I now buy my premium oil from Blackwoods for $44 ( normally $76 ) and Hyundai reduce my service cost by $69 for using my own oil :)

My 24 month service is due next month, Hyundai list the cost at $300 but because of the time I bought the car ( $219 capped price ) and also supplying my own oil the service will only cost $150, plus I've organised with them to replace my transmission oil to the Penrite Pro Gear 75W-85 which I'll supply and they said they do for the disposal charge of the old oil.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 09:47:40 by CraigB »

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
Fair enough, guess that works.

A regular oil change services costs me $15.00 for a genuine diesel filter (top bloke from QLD selling them at a great price) and usually get Castrol Edge 0-40w for $68.00 at super cheap when they have their 20% off sale, then the bloke I take it to charges $80 with the book stamped. Between services I just buy a litre bottle to cover the 300ml extra that needs to be put in.

My partner and I are on an employee insurance policy with Nab that is backed by Allianz and get free road side assist included... Along with the nicely discount interest rate on our home loan

I reckon road side assist on a Hyundai is crazy... I can never say I have been stranded anywhere with a Hyundai :) even as a Kid my mums 95 Hyundai Scope just kept on going. Turned 20years old in March and still runs like the day she bought it. :)

I do have more memories pushing the VL and VS Commodore to the side of the road when they would die on the school run. Mum wasn't happy when she had to get out in her PJ's

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
My partner and I are on an employee insurance policy with Nab that is backed by Allianz and get free road side assist included

I reckon road side assist on a Hyundai is crazy... I can never say I have been stranded anywhere with a Hyundai
Allianz are no good imo, I had them when I purchased the car but they didn't like the fact I'd had wider wheels/tyres fitted :rolleyes: their lose :winker: I switched to SGIO comprehensive Plus which covers for a lot more and cheaper :victory:

Roadside is only crazy until you need it, I've never had an issue ever where I needed it but it's comforting to know it's there when I do, same as health insurance...never needed it but I still have it :)

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
I can't fault Allianz. Made a claim with them when someone reversed into me and drove off... Car was repaired where I wanted with no hassles.

As I mentioned we do get a generous discount because of being a Nab employee

Offline BC solar

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
"Now they're just grabbing servicing costs from that Sept 2014 press release" ...... service rep tried same with me pointing to the service plan spruiked by current website.  I told him that might be the deal for new customers now but that's not the deal that put on the table when I bought the car.
  • i30 Elite 1.6 CRDi

Offline crayman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie
Looks like super salesmen.
Found some old info with the "Capped Price" story but in the fine print it's only until 50,000k or 3-years.
Of course none of this ties in with the sales spiel we were given, but there you go, another couple of suckers.
:link: Hyundai introduces capped-price servicing
  • i-30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Found some old info with the "Capped Price" story but in the fine print it's only until 50,000k or 3-years.
Of course none of this ties in with the sales spiel we were given, but there you go, another couple of suckers.

:undecided:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
That's how it was explained to my daughter when she bought her Accent. At least her salesman was quite clear.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
As I said, the Capped price servicing never included 60k and beyond.
Stop blaming Hyundai and start blaming the salesman.

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
As I said, the Capped price servicing never included 60k and beyond.
Stop blaming Hyundai and start blaming the salesman.
Since the introduction of the capped price servicing,Hyundai has been inundated with complaints(regardingcapped price servicing),so can't say they are not aware THEIR sales people are still misleading people,humans being humans are basically lazy at heart,how many people out there can HONESTLY say they read ALL the fine print,I know I don't,how many of you read the full terms and conditions of any of your computer software,not many I bet.

So yes along with the sales people,Hyundai is just as much to blame for the buyers miss understanding for not 1/ giving strict directives to sales staff of not misleading clients and making sure people fully understand and 2/ for not monitoring actions of their sale staff.

Don't get me wrong Hyundai have an excellent product across their whole range of vehicles,but the actions of SOME of their staff are very questionable,perfect example is when we bought Cyril(RIP)basically he showed us where to sign the papers took our bank cheque and basically when we asked for clarification on certain area's of warranty and functions of the vehicle we where told you'll be right,you'll get to know how things work and all the information you need is in your user handbook
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Your right Hyundai does know about the complaints and from what I see there is a constant flow of information to the dealerships. Unfortunately in a lot of cases that's where the info stops, on the sales managers desk. Or if it does get passed on one person might see it then file the info before forgetting what they saw.
Your also right in saying its human nature to be lazy. But it's the dealers that are the problem. EVERY dealer, mine included (and a prime example in some cases)
It's a problem in sales across numerous brands too. There are the high priority brands and low priority brands in every dealership.

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria

If you go to the Hyundai website you should be able to put in your year and model and engine type and check the scheduled prices.

That link doesn't show anything useful. Is it no longer functional?

I just called the local Hyundai dealer (Wights Hyundai, Traralgon, Victoria). The guy quoted me $570 for a 30,000 km service for my 2011 diesel i30.

Stuff that. I'm looking around for a private repairer.
  • 2014 Hyndai ix35 Highlander TD/2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

That link doesn't show anything useful. Is it no longer functional?

I just called the local Hyundai dealer (Wights Hyundai, Traralgon, Victoria). The guy quoted me $570 for a 30,000 km service for my 2011 diesel i30.

Stuff that. I'm looking around for a private repairer.

Try here... See what it comes up with for your model (would go on years not kilometres)

:link: Get a Service Quote - Hyundai Australia

Not very user friendly!  :undecided:

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria

Try here... See what it comes up with for your model (would go on years not kilometres)

:link: Get a Service Quote - Hyundai Australia

Not very user friendly!  :undecided:
Thanks. Will look it up. As for "not very user friendly" I'd say that about Wights Motor World service department.

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria
Well, I managed to root out a price from Hyundai for a 30,000km service for the diesel i30. About $620AUD.

This comprises a longish list of "check..." where you insert various things. Presumably, when they check something, it's to look at it, give it a bit of a wiggle, if it leaks or is loose, then tighten it up.

In other words, a lot of looking but not much doing.

Nope, I'll get it serviced privately.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Well, I managed to root out a price from Hyundai for a 30,000km service for the diesel i30. About $620AUD.

This comprises a longish list of "check..." where you insert various things. Presumably, when they check something, it's to look at it, give it a bit of a wiggle, if it leaks or is loose, then tighten it up.

In other words, a lot of looking but not much doing.

Nope, I'll get it serviced privately.

Fair call.  :victory:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Your right Hyundai does know about the complaints and from what I see there is a constant flow of information to the dealerships. Unfortunately in a lot of cases that's where the info stops, on the sales managers desk. Or if it does get passed on one person might see it then file the info before forgetting what they saw.
Your also right in saying its human nature to be lazy. But it's the dealers that are the problem. EVERY dealer, mine included (and a prime example in some cases)
It's a problem in sales across numerous brands too. There are the high priority brands and low priority brands in every dealership.

I cannot understand in the age of the internet and google how a potential buyer would not know at least as much as the salesman before they enter the showroom. To rely on someone who is conflicted (trying to sell you something) for information is not a smart way to do business. In this day and age the salesperson should be the person who sits next to you while you test drive the car, and with whom you later negogate the deal (armed with prices from your research).
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal