i30 Owners Club

2009 auto transmission failure ...$14500??!!!

Tsv4810 · 55 · 24552

Offline Tsv4810

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Sth Townsville, Queensland
Hi,

Unfortunately my first post here is a plea for advice/help.

Last week our 2009 SX diesel auto 5 door (86000km) transmission began to fail.  Driving locally and not over 60km/hr the transmission would not go past 2nd gear.  We had high rpm at around 60km/hr.

I had a quick look at similar problems people had reported on and feared the worst.  I took the car into the local (Townsville, QLD, AU) hyundai service centre to get diagnosis of problem etc and determine the damage.

I called them to get an update - 'transmission failure, needs replacement'.  Any more information around that?? None that they would give me.  How much? They will get back to me....

I called them back a few days later.  $14500 for a new transmission to be installed, $9308 for a reconditioned transmission. 

Contacting other local mechanics I was given approx. $3000 for a second hand transmission or $5000 for my current transmission to be completely overhauled (worst case).  Needless to say I don't have much trust in the local hyundai service centre and it is clear they were not willing to look into providing me with a reasonable solution to the failed transmission. 

I will say that the receptionist did acknowledge the crazy quote and noted she will contact hyundai to see whether a replacement could be provided in 'good will' as the car is only just out of warranty and has a complete service history.  Time will tell.... I think I will have to call back about this also.

I am taking the car into a local mechanic to investigate the problem in more detail and get a more detailed report on any faults and quote for repair.  I will keep this updated to let anyone know how it all goes. 

Appreciate any advice on this problem or whether hyundai has ever provided work in 'good will'.  Hopefully I don't have to take out all my savings and a little more to keep my wife and I mobile.

Cheers,
Sean
  • 2009 SX 5 Door Hatch, Diesel 1.6lt, Auto, white

Offline Tsv4810

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
This is all the information I could get from the Hyundai service centre

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Sorry to hear of your problem. However that quote sounds like rubbish to me.

There is a known problem with the FD auto transmission valve unit. It generally is fixed by replacing the valve unit, but not at that price. One would assume that the rest of the components, clutches, shafts etc are only 86k old so why replace them. I certainly wouldn't. Goodwill work is occasionally performed by Hy. Check with a proper auto trans workshop, for an accurate diagnosis and repair cost. I would only consider a recon unit if the fault is a major failure.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire
Is that the best Hyundai can come up with ? gearbox needs replacing.  That's poor by any standards. Did they not give you any thoughts what might be the cause, ie  solenoid valve, pressures, valve block, governor.

sorry I can't help any 
  • 2013 5D 1.6 CRDi Style Nav auto white

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire
Sorry to hear of your problem. However that quote sounds like rubbish to me.

There is a known problem with the FD auto transmission valve unit. It generally is fixed by replacing the valve unit, but not at that price. One would assume that the rest of the components, clutches, shafts etc are only 86k old so why replace them. I certainly wouldn't. Goodwill work is occasionally performed by Hy. Check with a proper auto trans workshop, for an accurate diagnosis and repair cost. I would only consider a recon unit if the fault is a major failure.

Totally agree with you Phil, what happened to repairing faults instead of just replacing a whole unit
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 03:01:37 by Johnno »

Offline Tsv4810

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
Thanks, hopefully the local transmission mech can help out. The local hyundai service centre kept to the only information we have is what the technician gave us which is a new transmission is needed. Even when I pressed it a little that was all they would give me. Ah I will see how I go. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Really sorry to hear this Tsv.

I would contact Hyundai directly (try an email via their website or maybe even call 1800 186 306)

Tell them the ridiculous cost you have been quoted and that you have been made aware of other FD i30 Auto Transmission failures which have been fixed free of charge (or for less than a quarter of this quote) Ask them to please investigate and advise you of your options. Tell them you are also seeking legal and consumer rights advice...  :whistler:

Good luck, I wish you a cheap or no cost result! :fingers:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
 :wttc:

:wts:

I'll just add a question. Do you have fit for purpose laws in your state?
I know that in W.A. a manufacturer's warranty isn't necessarily the end of the matter and if goods sold are not fit for purpose, consumer affairs or equivalent can step in and achieve a better result.
A good service history on the vehicle would help here.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Doggie,

I believe the fit for purpose laws are federal overseen by the ACCC

:link: Warranties | ACCC

There have been a small number of transmission failures in the diesel auto (complete failures, not valve body). You should be able to search them on this site (sometimes I find Google more helpful).

Baring abuse (service is not an issue because the transmission is not touched until 90,000k from memory) It should be replaced free by Hyundai, as it is unreasonable to expect a total failure at this time.

I find their service section hard to deal with, so I would contact the ACCC, they might have a contact behind the customer service wall, they will also give you advice on how to word an email to push for your rights. I dare say you will get a 'replacement as a gesture of goodwill' fairly quickly.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Tsv4810

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
Thanks a bunch, i will get onto ACCC and Hyundai tomorrow.  Appreciate the advice. I will keep this thread updated in case others have similar problems

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Put it this way, Redbook values your car at about $9,400 - $11,100. At $14,500, they are saying your car is not economical to repair and is at the end of life.

Australian Consumer Law would definitely consider a car as lasting more than 6 years. So if you can get the law to work in your favour then I'm sure Hyundai will come to the party.
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
Someone is having a lend of you,this is one of the reasons I steered well clear of an Auto when we bought our two,but even with thenfaults I found out about before buying I had asked two different Hyundai dealers what would be in the worse case scenario once the warranty ran out,how much it would be to replace with a new one,both quotes were no more than $5000,hope you get a good result to get it fixed which ever way you go,but at the price,I would certainly be giving that dealership  miss  :fum:
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline Johnno

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Bolton, Lancashire
What I find annoying about this is that Hyundai have made no effort to say to the customer is that we will strip the box down find the fault and replace parts as necessary. All they've done is say 'replacement box' it could be a $10 fix for all we know. Even if the parts come to a couple of thousand dollars and add labour costs on top it's a dam site cheaper than $14500

Does the customer not come first anymore instead of extracting as much cash out of them as possible.

I worked for a main dealership for 15 years and I've never seen a new auto or manual box replaced, it was always stripped down and overhauled and believe you me I've stripped down loads of manual box's, don't know much about auto's as we had another mechanic that was the only person that was trained up on them and you could say it was about a 12 hour turn around so 12 hrs labour + parts which works out a lot cheaper that a replacement   

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Do hy want the box back intact so as not to reveal the exact cause to the dealership/owner.

That way they could prevent any national/international recall if issue found to be manufacturing fault.

I would presume the dealership would not be allowed to examine the box and just return it untouched.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer
Do hy want the box back intact so as not to reveal the exact cause to the dealership/owner.

That way they could prevent any national/international recall if issue found to be manufacturing fault.

I would presume the dealership would not be allowed to examine the box and just return it untouched.

Hyundai would NEVER do anything like that  :whistler:
  • 2015 i30 GO! 1.6 GDi 5d Hatch, 6MT, Phantom Black

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Gearbox oil ok?

Know anyone will a proper scanner (not ELM327) to hook up and look see if you have some gearbox codes reported?

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Those requiring replacement valve mechanisms have usually been supplied with a recon trans IIRC. A strip down is not usually undertaken at dealer level, due to the complexity of the trans and time restraints. But in this case, @ 86k traveled, I'd want to keep the original.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer
Am i reading this correctly ?  They want HALF the price of a brand new i30 base model just to replace a trannie ?  :faint:

When did they legalised marihuana in Oz ?

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

It's a ridiculous situation that they can't sustain, surely.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer
I remember someone on the Dodge site getting a quote for a crated 1.8 engine from Mopar for 5000 euro's. He reckoned he could swap it out in a weekend. That worked out at about 20% of the new price of a whole car.

Even if the trannie is a pig to get at, 2 guys should be able to do it in a day, surely. I don't know what a mechanic earns per hour in Oz, but i'm pretty sure it's less than a lawyer or a surgeon.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

A couple of phone calls would get the answer.
Couldn't be more than @ $4k, I reckon, at worst.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Wingerdave

• 5th Gear
  • Brummie born and bred

• nl Netherlands
      Raamsdonksveer
That would be more like it, fitted.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I don't know what a mechanic earns per hour in Oz, but i'm pretty sure it's less than a lawyer or a surgeon.
Hyundai charges $150 per hour, not cheap when it's mostly apprentices doing the manual work.

Those gearbox prices above have to be misquoted surely :undecided: A new 2ltr crate motor is $6000, Gearbox new should be roughly$3500 and a rebuild should be no more than $1800 and pick one up second hand good condition from a wreckers around $1200 to $1500

Offline Tsv4810

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
I called Hyundai today and told them the situation.  Given that the car is out of warranty they aren't able to help, even with a 'good will'.  The person I spoke to said  they would call the local dealer/service centre I saw originally to see if they could get more information.. (for me or them?).  Hopefully they call me back.

I talked to a local mechanic and to get the transition totally reconditioned (everything has failed) would cost at worst $5k.  Hopefully its not that serious and is around the $4k figure.  Taking the car in tomorrow.

I'll send hyundai an email tonight and get onto the QLD ACCC representative to see if a formal complaint should be pushed.  Its a little hard when some of these organisations aren't able to give you advice only point you towards the legislation.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
You can get an auto off Ebay for $1250 (in QLD)  plus installation from somewhere, would be the best bet if all else fails.

The fine people at the ACCC were very helpful with a matter we had, told the good wife how to word an email, and the place in question couldn't get onto us quickly enough to fix the problem.

Problem is that most places don't understand (or try to ignore, then claim ignorance of) the 'fit for purpose laws' and thus think their obligation ends at the end of the warranty. In your email strongly point out the fit for purpose laws and state that it is obvious that the automatic should last longer (mine has 130,000 and counting)  I think you will find the Qld rep will get the result you deserve.

From memory they ship the Auto boxes to a place in Melbourne to be rebuilt.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I just rang Hyundai Heaven here in Perth and they have two low km ( 30,000km ) auto boxes to suit your car for $1800 each and Hyundai Heaven are on the expensive side of what other wreckers here are priced at.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Personally, if I bought a second hand one, I'd still want to strip it down, check it and rebuild it.
So in that case, might as well do the same to the original transmission.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Personally, if I bought a second hand one, I'd still want to strip it down, check it and rebuild it.
So in that case, might as well do the same to the original transmission.
I wouldn't bother rebuilding a good condition low km box, they come with warranties anyway.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal