i30 Owners Club

Whiney Air con

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
The air conditioning in my car is starting to make a whining noise. Goes away immediately the air con button is switched off even if the fan continues. Most audible inside. Under the hood I thought the noise was coming from near the radiator but that sound seems to continue even with a/c off.  It probably gets lost mixed in with the diesel engine rattle.

The car is being attended to for other issues by the dealer later this week. What could be the problem and where should I direct them to look?
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I had a similar issue with both my hybrids, but they reckoned the air con was working up to spec on both.  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
If you can't identify a mechanical cause, could it possibly be the expansion valve in the evaporator, just a guess.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
All the Hyundai's I have had have made this sound here and there. My X3 Excel was the noisiest, However after 300,000km and being 15 years old, the AC was ice cold.
I would be concerned about it
  • 05 Hyundai Elantra Elite 5spd 2.0 Petrol, Black Sedan

Offline constipated

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
All the Hyundai's I have had have made this sound here and there. My X3 Excel was the noisiest, However after 300,000km and being 15 years old, the AC was ice cold.

They couldn't find anything but have noted it down. Air con is still very cold so I'll just grin and bear it.
  • MY11 - SLX CRDi 6 speed manual

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen

They couldn't find anything but have noted it down. Air con is still very cold so I'll just grin and bear it.
Did ou ask them whether they removed the serpentine belt and check the condition of the idler pulleys,I had one very close to collapsing it was making similar type noises to this,many Tech these days can't be bother looking past their noses to find issues,took Hyundai 30 months to fix a alarm and light locking issue in Cyril when we had him,the last service I ever got Hyundai to do they had employed a new(older Mechanic)I explained the issue to him and he went straight to the problem,without a computer or any other electronic gizmo's,good ol fault finding techniques
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal