i30 Owners Club

Coolant replacement frequency. 2 year or 10 year (or somewhere in between)

Guest · 18 · 11555

Steve Roe
With my MY 2009 i30 CRDi I was issued a Service Passport (Part number SP 200707 on the very back page) it suggests the first coolant change at 24 months or 45,000 kms.
With my MY 2009 i30 CRDi I was issued an i30 Owners manual (A2LO-EA97B on the very back page ) it suggests the first coolant change at 60 months or 100,000 kms.
Online for the new MY2012 i30 there is a Service Schedule for Passenger vehicle i30, it suggests the first coolant change at 120 months or 210,000 kms.
http://www.hyundai.com.au/Owners/Servicing/Scheduled-maintenance-and-service/Service-schedule-tables

This is five coolant changes vs. one coolant change in the first 10 years of ownership.
The Service passport references AL003-5001 as the replacement fluid, the Online document references AL003-50000 as the replacement fluid. Does anyone have access to the part numbers to see if it's a different product or a part number change or simply a different quantity of the same product.

Further, when I contacted the customer care centre they said to ignore the online version, writing  "MY12 series i30 has had an updated engine, adding and extra 5Nm of torque." Is it an updated engine or has the tuning just been tweaked?

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Can't give you anything official, but I would have thought the top hose would require replacement during 10 years of service, so a coolant change would be required anyway.  :)
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Steve Roe
Well I got a vague response back from Hyundai, they simply say that the "Service passport " is the book to follow. (change the coolant every 2 years) I'm not convinced.
I rang Tectaloy who make coolant  http://www.tectaloy.com/   not only do they have a comprehensive selection but an excellent web site with "tech tips" and "info books" etc and a very professional response to my phone call.
I was asked for the make and model of my car (so presumably they have a database) and was told to use OAT Organic Acid Technology coolant at between 33 to 50% concentration. Premix of 50% being sold as "Tectaloy 100+", concentrate being sold as "Longlife coolant"
I brought up the Hyundai service suggestion of changing coolant after the first 2 years. They dismissed this and said that 4 years is the norm on all modern vehicles. No pushy sales talk, didn't try to convince me to buy coolant now, no vague answers - just the facts as they see it. How refreshing.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
That's good to hear Steve. I've been using Tectaloy for years and always been happy with it.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
2 years/45k seems a tad early.......it would have barley gotten into the grove by then....
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Mine was replaced at 3 y/o (5 year service - 62,500 miles) in line with the service schedule.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Steve Roe
Shambles. I believe half of the issue is that depending on the country you live in you have a different service schedule - here in Australia we are been forced to have shorter service intervals for expensive items. I'm sure Hyundai will come up with "tough Australian conditions" blah blah. Sure it gets hotter than the UK, summer temps hit 40C but winter temps don't get as low, we get down to 0C only. Why would any of this make any different to the coolant which runs at around 100C through the system. The extremes are well within the limitations of the coolant.
Can you tell me your replacement intervals per your service passport for engine oil, engine oil filter, engine air filter, cabin air filter (pollen filter) diesel fuel filter, brake fluid and coolant.

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Here's my service schedule (courtesy of eye30 - couldn't locate the copy I posted)

Long time between coolant changes for us...

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I don't think I have ever replaced coolant unless forced to do so  by some other factor....Really don't see the point if its working and clean.

Steve Roe
So there we have it. We're been ripped off. In Australia we have to perform coolant change every 2 years/45000km, fuel treatment every year. (What exactly is this anyway?)
I see beermans post has popped up whilst I've been typing. My dad doesn't change his coolant either. However I think coolant should be changed, but at a 5 year interval.

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
OK. Now I'm not an expert on this but I reckon if the coolant starts to discolour (which it does) surely there has to come a time when it should be replaced and the cooling sytem flushed to clear any gunk buildup.
What are others' thoughts?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Certainly if it started to go a rusty colour I would want to change it...But wouldn't expect that for atleast 4 or 5 years (maybe more)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I don't think I have ever replaced coolant unless forced to do so  by some other factor....Really don't see the point if its working and clean.

Here in UK we would soon know if the coolant needs changing once we hit the freezing weather.

I've seen what damage frozen coolant does to a engine - basically a new engine!!!!

Don't forgt that it also acts as a coolant coolant during hot weather.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Certainly if there is any deviation from normal operating temp, or where it is necessitated by a blown hose, split radiator or the like, then sure,

But other than that, I let it be. If there is some suggestion it can last between 5 and 10 years, I dare say something will necessitate its replacement ......

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
My babe has just returned from her 6 year (75,000 mile) service and they changed the coolant again :eek:

They seem to have got the service interval wrong and did the 62,500 mile service. Not too concerned tho... but I am going to call them right now..

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
My babe has just returned from her 6 year (75,000 mile) service and they changed the coolant again :eek:

They seem to have got the service interval wrong and did the 62,500 mile service. Not too concerned tho... but I am going to call them right now..

when was the last service?

Does this qualify for the shortest interval..
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
The coolant lubricates seals and also contains corrosion inhibiters so I don't think I'd be leaving it in for any more than 4 or 5 years max....

I'd also suggest that if the coolant has changed colour then it's possible the inhibiters have failed and the internals have started to corrode.... :undecided:

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

I'd also suggest that if the coolant has changed colour then it's possible the inhibiters have failed and the internals have started to corrode.... :undecided:

Absolutely right Rusty.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal