i30 Driving Experience - Silverstone (UK) 24th February 2012, by AlanHo

AlanHo · 86 · 44943

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I have now spent several hours at the Silverstone Race Centre attending a customer user experience with Hyundai to test drive the new 2012 i30 and give Hyundai feedback of my opinions about the new car. The previous few days had been taken up with dealerships being afforded the opportunity to be shown the car and it was only at the last minute that Hyundai had decided to extend the show by a further day to invite selected prospective customers to be given the same experience.

"ns"
The considerable amount of information posted on this forum had been most useful and allowed me to concentrate on those areas of particular interest to me – not least the level of refinement and cabin noise in the car, and the chance to compare the 1.4 petrol version with the 1.6 diesel models. Regular members of the forum will know that I have significant hearing loss and wear hearing aids. My present i30 is by no means a noisy car - but still a problem for me to hold a conversation in. I was therefore keen to try the new car and check whether the claimed improvement in refinement was enough to get me to buy one.

I do not apologise for the fact that I only took a detailed interest in the top of the range Style and Style Nav models because I had already decided that that was where my interest lay – if indeed I could be tempted into part exchanging my current 2010 i30 CRDi Premium for the latest model.  However, I must admit that the Classic base model has a commendable range of standard features and a high quality interior. Externally, only the naff wheel covers on steel wheels and lack of twin chrome bars in the front radiator grill betray its basement bargain status.  My first impressions of the Style model were totally favourable – it has great road presence, is well appointed, roomy, comfortable, a high standard of fit and finish and is a significant step up from the existing model in nearly all respects. However - there are a few disappointments which I will mention later.

There were 33 people attending the event ranging from young petrol heads to geriatric teenagers. There are no prizes for guessing where my wife and I fitted into that spectrum. Hyundai had provided about 30 cars from the range for us to try out both on the public roads and on the Silverstone test facilities and Stowe track. We were split into two groups – one group to do the road course whilst the second group used the track and test facilities – after which the groups changed over.

My wife and I were in the group which used the test facilities first, followed by the public road experience. It gave me an unprecedented experience in being able to push a family car to its limits and sample the outstanding safety features built into the car – not least being the ESP (Electronic stability program), brake assist, and the 3 position flex steering system.

The first experience was to demonstrate the effectiveness of the ESP in three ways :-

The first test was emergency braking on a variable road surface. With the ESP switched off - the car was accelerated to about 60 mph (96 km/h) onto a straight section of track where the left half was smooth wet concrete and the other half rough tarmac. An emergency stop was then attempted whilst the left wheels of the car were on the smooth wet surface and the right wheels on the rough tarmac. It was impossible to stop the car from yawing and veering way over to the right. Enough to switch lanes on a normal road and have a head-on collision.
The same test was repeated with the ESP switched on – this time as soon as the car started to move to the right, all hell broke loose – the cadence braking on selected wheels kicked in causing a lot of noise and vibration and the steering automatically moved to the left keeping the car very much on the correct line. It was very impressive.

The second test was a swerve test. As before the car was accelerated to about 60 mph (96 km/h) to approach a line of cones across a flooded road simulating a stationary vehicle you had failed to notice until the last second. A few metres before hitting the cones the car was swerved to the left to miss them and immediately to the right to prevent running off the road. It was impossible – the car swerved away from the cones OK but then lost control when you tried to straighten up and spun violently – I don’t know how many times - finishing up facing the wrong way 50 meters down the road.
The same test was repeated with the ESP switched on – this time the car swerved to the left – and as soon as it was steered to the right and tried to spin, the ESP was activated, all hell broke loose – the cadence braking on selected wheels kicked in causing a lot of noise and vibration and the car recovered in a straight line. It was even more impressive.

The third test was a demonstration of the ESP was on the wet circular skid pan where we tried to maintain a circle at an increasing speed with the ESP off – under-steer quickly kicked in and you either had to back off or let the car drift out. With the ESP on – it was possible to maintain a much smaller circle at a far higher speed before the inevitable understeer took over – at which point the ESP kept you out of trouble.

We then took to the track where some tight chicanes had been set up and there was a variety of corners and bends to sample at various speeds. After a couple of circuits – the first one rather tentative – and the second one more adventurous - I gained sufficient confidence in the car to give it a good thrash – trying out the three different flex steer settings in the process. I was very happy with the stability of the car and the merits of the flex steer system. I am at a loss to understand why some magazine reviews have been critical of the steering – saying it lacks feel - especially at the straight ahead position. I found it much better than my current i30 but will concede that less adventurous motorists will probably leave it in the “normal” setting, rather than "sport" or "comfort" regardless of circumstances.

After the track experience we were then let loose on the public roads in a 1.6 CRDi 128 PS Style-Nav to follow a route prescribed by the pre-set sat-nav. The route took in several miles of fast double carriageway highways and a mixture of main and side roads with varying surfaces from very smooth to just awful. The car rides well on its 16” rims, has excellent controls and is quite refined, soaking up potholes much better than my present car. It feels like a much larger car in this respect. I took a decibel meter with me and was able to take cabin sound readings and compare these with my present car (which I took around the same route later) to prove what my ears were telling me. On rough surfaces it is about 6 dB quieter – but on the new ultra quiet tarmac I was not able to detect any difference with my present car. The car was fitted with quite attractive alloy wheels and Hankook Kinergy Eco 205 55 R16 tyres which had a rather strange floral pattern moulded in the sidewall. The tyres gripped well – even on the wet skid pan – and I was not able to fault them. The car seems to be very comfortable with more apparent room and a similar amount of cubby space to the existing car. All the controls and switchgear were well placed and easy to use with a comprehensive set of buttons on the steering wheel.

The luggage compartment  has roughly the same length and width as the present car but is 11 cm deeper – mainly because the car has a temporary spare wheel. The luggage compartment floor is 7cm lower than the rear seat backs which fold flat. Hence the floor is stepped when the seats are folded down. The claimed extra luggage volume compared with the present model seems to be entirely because of the extra depth – which may or may not be of practical value. That said – no other 5 door hatchback in its sector beats it for internal space or luggage capacity.

Most illustrations of the car on our forum have shown an electronic parking brake – but none of the cars I saw today had this – they all had a conventional handbrake. One of the demo drivers I spoke to (not a Hyundai – but a Silverstone employee) told me that the electronic brake had not found much favour – most people preferred a handbrake. He explained that the electronic parking brake was applied by pressing the normal brake pedal when the car was stationary – then locking them with the electronic switch. To unlock the brakes you either pushed down on the brake pedal and then released the electronic switch - or depressed the clutch to move off - which released the parking brake automatically. However - the system had less “feel” when moving away on an incline.

The manual gear change on the cars I tried was silky smooth and very light in all gears – a reminder of how notchy my current car is when changing to first and second gears.

There is no need for me to cover all the car features – the brochure and the wealth of information in other posts on the forum do that adequately - but there are some items I would like to comment on.

The direction indicators audible clicker is too quiet. The same problem as with my present i30. I do wish that car manufacturers would wake up to the fact that a goodly proportion of the population suffer from hearing loss. It is a problem not confined to us old fogies - many youngsters today are also suffering from significant hearing loss due to the high noise levels they are exposed to in clubs and other so-called places of entertainment. If a specific control for the driver to adjust volume is impractical, I would happily settle for dealer adjustable volume editing of audible alarms and signals.

The Sat-Nav has a large clear screen and uses Navtech mapping covering the whole of Europe in most European languages. Map updates are planned annually and will probably cost £100 per time. The display is larger - but no clearer than my Garmin Nuvi - and displays the current speed limit on most main roads. Traffic information on early cars is subject to a subscription but will be available as standard in the i30 from mid-2012. Any customers who buy the car before this time will be able to receive a free software update to activate this functionality when it becomes available. Speed cameras are not included. The sat-nav uses 4 digit post codes which is not as big a problem as I thought it would be. You enter the first 4 digits and the screen changes to a list of all the final (missing) 2 digits to choose from – then a screen with the initial letter of roads within that postcode for you to select, then a list of all roads with that initial letter. I found my road quite quickly on the very responsive touch screen. However - If you only know the full postcode and not the name of the road - you are not going to find it easy. Hyundai are expecting to issue a dealer fit software upgrade at the year end to upgrade the system to full post codes. 
The touch screen was a problem. In bright sunlight – it got washed out and the finger smears marred clarity – a problem I don’t get on my Garmin Nuvi. 
I asked if it was possible to import waypoints or POI’s to the sat-nav using USB or any other source – they were not able to answer the question but are getting back with a reply next week.
The Sat-nav doubles as a reversing camera screen. I have had experience with this feature on a Toyota Prius but the Hyundai one is superior with a very bright and sharp picture over which is superimposed a grid showing distances. I found reversing in tight spaces a doddle.

The Bluetooth mobile phone connection is most impressive. I thought that the voice recognition on my Garmin Nuvi was pretty good – but the Hyundai one is a revelation (to me). After entering your address book its ability to recognise spoken names – even from different people without any prior “training” of the car system is first class. My wife tried to fool it by badly mangling the name Heikki Kovalainen (which was in the dummy address book) but it was having none of it and pulled his name out straight away. When I asked it to ring "My Aunt Martha" it found the name immediately and repeated my request in what sounded suspiciously like my brummy accent - which was jolly amusing.

"ns"
The trip computer is a disappointment. It has two trips for distance – trip A and Trip B but only one trip for fuel economy, one for average speed and one for elapsed time. It also has instant fuel economy and distance to empty.
The main disappointment – bordering on stupidity – is that it cannot display fuel economy data in excess of 50 mpg (5.6 L/100km). In European markets where the data is in L/100Km this restriction does not apply. The Hyundai officials were embarrassed when I pointed out that it was crazy to launch the car (for which they claim great fuel economy figures) with a trip recorder with this fault - the driver cannot see the frugal performance in the display. They are hoping that a software patch in the future will correct this. The fuel economy trip can be reset to zero either manually or automatically each time you refuel – it is a setting in an options menu.

Another – but more minor disappointment – is that an auto dipping rear view mirror is neither fitted, nor on the options list.

My wife was disappointed to learn that the passenger seat lacks height adjustment – like my present car – and such an option is not going to be available.

Other options are a Convenience Pack – this includes auto fold door mirrors when ignition is off, puddle lamps in the mirrors, keyless entry, chrome door handles and illuminated door handles for the grand total of £750.

The panoramic roof costs £950

Servicing costs are improved. Service intervals are now 24 months or 20,000 miles with an intermediate inspection and oil change at 12 month intervals. In the UK a 3 year service plan costs £299 up front for those who do less than 12,500 miles per year. I imagine that this includes the first 12 month inspection/oil change, the 24 month service and the 36 month inspection/oil change - so only one full service is included in the plan.

The usual Hyundai 5 year unlimited mileage warranty applies and includes full RAC roadside assistance for the full period.

I also tried the 1.4 petrol car which was a little quieter than the diesel and seemed to have lots of pep. It was as Bumpkin described for his ix20 in a recent post. However – I managed to stall it a couple of times when moving off – I am too used to the low down torque of a diesel – but I am sure you would soon get used to the petrol and it wouldn’t be a problem.  (They had an ix20 for us to look at (but not drive) – nice car, surprisingly roomy but not as feature rich as the i30).

Other questions I am awaiting answers to from Hyundai are whether the recent diesel engine mods have included the addition of a dual mass flywheel (I hope not) and how and when the DPF is regenerated. My car has never shown any sign that the DPF has regenerated and I am curious what to look for and when.

So to conclude – I am very impressed with the car and will be buying one – but am still not decided on whether to go for the 1.4 petrol or the diesel. I will need more time in the cars when they are at the dealers in the next week or so. I also need to collect the data required to carry out a full and proper ownership cost comparison of both cars.

Oh – before I forget – the CW (estate) version is expected in the UK in July and will possibly cost £1000 to £1500 more than the hatch. Hyundai head office have yet to release official prices.

Edits
Traffic warnings on the Sat-nav will be free at mid -year via a free software update.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 10:42:16 by AlanHo »
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
You missed your vocation Alan. I'm sure the Hyundai Representitives were amazed by your i30 knowledge and foresight  :happydance:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

I need to re-visit my comments about the display of fuel economy on the new car.

The display that shows the instantaneous economy on the cars I drove were digital numbers like the present car. I was told that some versions get a pseudo analogue half clock digital display with a moving pointer.

The display that shows the trip economy is a horizontal bar - marked 0 - 25 - 50 mpg. The actual economy is displayed by the bar being filled from left to right to show a graphic image of the economy. No actual values are displayed - you have to interpolate between the 25 mpg spaced graduations.

So not only do UK buyers have to contend with not being able to see the economy data above 50 mpg - the trip information is just a graphic guide with no actual accurate data.

A totally stupid and mystifying error of judgement by Hyundai in my opinion. Perhaps they have bought shares in scangauge.

Perhaps if enough people here express their views on this - Hyundai will read it and see sense.  I still can't believe that Hyundai major on the fantastic economy of the new i30 as a selling point, yet hide the true figures from the driver.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 14:22:55 by AlanHo »

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
excellent post Alan,i enjoyed Reading about the new i30 and your day out.  :mrgreen: :cool:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Along with changes in engine mapping, better aerodynamics, weight trimming etc - the tyres fitted to the new i30 are claimed to make a considerable difference to its fuel economy.

Hankook Kinergy Eco claims by the manufacturer are....

A new passenger car tyre range released by Hankook Tire in Europe is one the manufacturer says heralds a “new era in the tyre segment.” The range is called Kinergy Eco and takes its name from kinetic energy, or energy of motion – a clear nod to the tyre’s focus on reducing rolling resistance. Hankook states the Kinergy Eco “combines state-of-the-art Hankook tyre technology in the areas of safety, handling, and comfort with the environmental consciousness that is becoming an increasingly important criterion for today’s vehicles.”

The tyre maker reports it has successfully brought of “an impressive balancing act” with the Kinergy Eco. Specifically, by combining matericals such as silica nonoparticles – which Hankook notes “are thus far uncommon in this segment” – with the latest compound technologies, the manufacturer states it has reduced the new tyre’s rolling resistance by 12 per cent in comparison with unspecified conventional tyres currently available on the market. Hankook notes this reduction has not come at the expense of other properties and says “this versatile all-rounder really shines in safety-related disciplines, such as wet braking.” The Kinergy Eco offers about eight per cent shorter stopping distances by comparison to other tyres in its class, Hankook adds.

“To us, the Kinergy Eco heralds the dawn of a new era in tyres,” states Jin-Wook Choi, executive vice-president and European head of Hankook Tire. “Our society’s values have changed a great deal in recent years. People are more environmentally conscious in their thinking and their actions, and they want their tyres to also offer better fuel economy, but without sacrificing safety and driving comfort. In the Kinergy Eco, we have succeeded in creating this combination. But it is also clear that the safety of our consumers remains our top priority. We make no compromises on safety.”

The tyre’s asymmetrical tread pattern is said to “significantly” enhance its handling while making driving more comfortable and quieter on the whole. Wide longitudinal grooves are designed to offer protection from hydroplaning and the tyre’s tread block edges are ‘self-sharpening’, a quality Hankook says ensures “the necessary grip on both wet and dry driving surfaces.” Wider shoulder blocks and an enlarged contact area are featured to improve traction and stability in curves, even at high speeds, on a dry surface.

For sure - my experience on the track and skid pan proved that the tyres have excellent grip in the dry and wet with a high g forces in chicanes and fast bends. The emergency stops were also very effective. The tests on public roads proved that the car had lower noise levels and a softer ride than the present car - how much of this is down to tyres rather than the car I don't know.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 16:08:10 by AlanHo »

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
^^^
A good read.
I love the way marketing people at different companies can manage to make something sound "new" and "unique'.
From wiki...........

Note the date they've been around since. And it'd be a pretty backward manufacturer which didn't use silica in its tread compunds these days (again, since just afound 2000)

Low-rolling resistance tires minimize wasted energy as a tire rolls, thereby decreasing required rolling effort — and in the case of automotive applications, improving vehicle fuel efficiency. Approximately 5–15% of the fuel consumed by a typical car may be used to overcome rolling resistance. A 2003 California Energy Commission (CEC) preliminary study estimated that adoption of low-rolling resistance tires could save 1.5–4.5% of all gasoline consumption, but that current data were also insufficient to compare safety and other characteristics. A database of much more complete data will be released by the CEC pending completion of an ongoing study
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Alan is that avatar a glimpse into the future by any chance & is it diesel or petrol  :question:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
How refreshing to see such a well written post, such a rarity these days.

That being so, is it correct to assume to stationery vehicle belonged to W.H. Smith?  ;)

Joking of course.

Online eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Really enjoyed the write up.

Better than anything you will get in a magazine.

Just watch out that a journo doesn't nick your write up and pass as their own...

From reading that I'll be popping along to see it in the flesh and asking for a test drive.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

I'll be popping along to see it in the flesh and asking for a test drive.

Brace yourself for when you take your first look at the car in the flesh. My first sight was to see about 30 of them - all lined up in the old Le Mans 24 hour race style - a mix of all the available colours and versions.

My first impression was not what I had expected - to my eyes the car looked smaller than the present one and the dropped waistline just behind the front of the drivers door seemed more pronounced than the photos. For a second or two - I felt disappointed - but a closer and longer look overcame my first impression and I found the styling very appealing.

The new car in reality is slightly wider and slightly longer than the present one - but is a tad lower. Hence the styling must be such that the car seems sleeker but smaller.  Inside the car you immediately appreciate it isn't smaller - in fact it looks and feels more spacious and the seating is much more bum hugging and comfortable. Great attention has been paid to almost every detail, the body panel shut lines are exemplary, the doors close with a solid clunk, the lights are nicely styled, the DRL's are stylish, the windscreen nicely raked and blends into the roofline, the wipers nestle perfectly just out of the drivers sight, the rear spoiler looks the part, the interior is superbly finished with high quality trim and upholstery - I could go on and on......

One of the Silverstone "Supercar Experience" drivers who presumably had been borrowed by Hyundai to help out with the track work for a few days, told me that during the dealer demo days they had use of the latest equivalent Golf and Focus cars so that they could be used as a comparison benchmark. He personally felt that the i30 had the edge over the others because it was so well equipped, much lower in cost, more roomy and only marginally down on driving qualities - it truly now stands amongst the generally perceived best in class
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 22:56:50 by AlanHo »

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Exceptional feedback sir. I am most impressed with your ability to remember all the bits and bobs and articulate them on our humble forum :)

Thanks.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

That being so, is it correct to assume the stationery vehicle belonged to W.H. Smith?  ;)

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Well spotted : Sh....ucks - the friggin spill chucker let me down again. Thanks for pointing it out - I have corrected the original to avoid further embarrassment  :whistler:.

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
That being so, is it correct to assume the stationery vehicle belonged to W.H. Smith?  ;)

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Well spotted : Sh....ucks - the friggin spill chucker let me down again. Thanks for pointing it out - I have corrected the original to avoid further embarrassment  :whistler:.

Thanks for taking it as intended.

Unfortunately, spell checkers wouldn't pick that up as both spellings are correct.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Exceptional feedback sir. I am most impressed with your ability to remember all the bits and bobs and articulate them on our humble forum :)
Thanks.

I cheated because my memory is useless - I used my mobile phone as a dictation machine and camera. I had also typed up a list of items to check and questions to ask - and was able to scribble info against each item.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 08:34:03 by AlanHo »

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Superb write up Alan, so I take it you now feel that the extra cost of the new i30 is truly a reflection of the car itself and is therefore worth it?

I agree the ix20 is not as well appointed as the i30 (even the "old one") but in real terms the "lacking" bits are kind of superfluous anyway, nice to have but not necessary.  The 1.4 petrol is actually quite a remarkable unit, you expect to be really down on power but it's pretty good really and your comments about the i30 suggest that this is also the case in the slightly bigger car which is good to hear.

I look forward to seeing and hearing about your new purchase :goodjob:
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 15:13:09 by bumpkin »
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

I took some some pics for later reference of the instruments and engine layout - a couple being photos of pages in the car manual.

The cabin fuses and what I assume is the diagnostic socket are now behind a removeable panel by the drivers knee - it looks as though a special tool is required to remove the fuses which I presume comes with the car.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 01:56:43 by AlanHo »

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Superb write up Alan, so I take it you now feel that the extra cost of the new i30 is truly a reflection of the car itself and is therefore worth it?

I agree the ix20 is not as well appointed as the i30 (even the "old one") but in real terms the "lacking" bits are kind of superfluous anyway, nice to have but not necessary.  The 1.4 petrol is actually quite a remarkable unit, you expect to be really down on power but it's pretty good really and your comments about the i30 suggest that this is also the case in the slightly bigger car which is good to hear.

I look forward to seeing and hearing about your new purchase :goodjob:

Brian - I entirely accept that the ix20 is a fine car and would most likely serve my purpose. Unfortunately - the new i30 has come along and I am smitten. My head tells me that the sensible choice for a pair of pensioners should be the ix20 - not least because being higher, it is easier for people with creaky old bones to get in and out of. However, this is likely to be my final car and my heart wants to have a last fling in a car stuffed with bells and whistles that I now consider to be the true equivalent of an equally specced Audi - but at a much lower cost. I will be 80 when the warranty expires and I can only hope that my personal warranty lasts that long. I doubt that I will want to do much driving beyond then.

I understand that an ix30 is in the pipeline but it will surely be more expensive than the hatch and too long away for me to wait.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 17:04:26 by AlanHo »

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

• Fylde Coast England 1.4 petrol Comfort
Excellent review. :) Doubt if I'll be replacing my 2yo with the new one unless they bring out some very special offers though !

My 85 year old mum can still get in and out of my car okay, so unless your joints are really rusting up then maybe you'll be okay for the next five years.

The silica nanoparticle tyres sound good, though I've hardly worn the top layer of my originals yet.

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Really great post, Alan. Thanks for letting all the rest of us share your observations.

Well done... :goodjob:

As I've only had my i30 for 11 months, I doubt I will replace it with a new one this year, but I'm really pleased to see they've kept the old fashioned type handbrake.

(But I think I will be at the dealer for the introduction next month)
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Is that a record for the number of "thanks" given to a post?

I think so, and justly deserved :D

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
It's certainly the post that have taken me the longest time to read, but worth every minute.  :goodjob:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

As someone else said I would be impressed to read a detailed review like that in a magazine I had paid for  :goodjob2: :goodjob:

But don't get your hopes up Alan .. there isn't a cheque in the mail (from me anyway) - Hyundai maybe  :winker:

Offline ElleB

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Our Elle B
   :whsaid:  :brilliant: :baps: :thanx: :Agoodjob: :agreed: :judges:

I hope all these convey the sentiments of others not so far expressed....maybe my holding off the latest 6 speed will be a good thing.....   Just need to find the ca$h.. :'(

Keep taking the Condrointin and Omega 3 etc and you will out run the warranty !!!

Thanks a million, you have raised the bar!!!
  • 2016 i30 CW auto

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Thank you all for your kind words.

I have sent an Email to my contact at Hyundai UK Head Office to thank them for the splendid day they laid on.

I took the opportunity of explaining that I am a member of this forum and the role the forum plays in spreading the i30 and Hyundai word globally. I attached a link to this thread and asked them to advise me of any innaccuracies in my report  so that I may correct my post here.

Hopefully there will not be any - but we will see.

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
Thank you all for your kind words.

I have sent an Email to my contact at Hyundai UK Head Office to thank them for the splendid day they laid on.

I took the opportunity of explaining that I am a member of this forum and the role the forum plays in spreading the i30 and Hyundai word globally. I attached a link to this thread and asked them to advise me of any innaccuracies in my report  so that I may correct my post here.

Hopefully there will not be any - but we will see.

Good move Alan, I can see and brand new car coming out of this  HAhah ah ha hahahahahaaaa,

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hope nobody minds, especially AlanHo, but I put this topic into the articles list and changed the title slightly. Plus I added a couple of journalistic paragraph 'breakers' :)

Alan, feel free to reedit as you wish  :goodjob:

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Alan is that avatar a glimpse into the future by any chance & is it diesel or petrol  :question:

My avatar is indeed a glimpse into the near future - however the car displayed has the base model front grill and is blue. Neither of which I like.

It is interesting that most of the early photos of the new car - and most magazines - show a blue car which I thought looked most attractive. However - when I saw the car in the flesh I took an instant dislike to the blue colour (as opposed to my wife who liked it). I should point out that I believe there are two shades of blue available - Aqua Blue and Ice Blue. I am not certain which of these colours we were looking at, but suspect it was the darker one of the two - aqua.

I much preferred the sleek silver or steel grey.....decisions,, decisions.

I am nervous about the choice of colour because a few years back I bought a newly launched Audi A3 Sportback and chose - in the showroom - a dark metallic grey (dolphin Grey) which looked very classy. I had seen other Audi models in the same colour and assumed it would suit the new car. Two months later I went to collect the car and there it was all sparkling, shiny and new parked outside the showroom. My heart sank - I hated the colour - and continued to do so for the 3 years I owned it.  Although regular detailing using Meguiar's clays and polishes produced a phenominal gloss - no amount of polishing ever brought me around to liking the colour.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 18:48:08 by AlanHo »

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I can relate to your colour story Alan.. I bought a very dark blue Nissan in 1993 that looked great in the showroom but turned out to be a pain to keep clean and I was constantly reminded by friends and acquantances that it was probably not a very safe colour on the road as well.. :confused:

Offline Talking Hoarse

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Winchcombe, Glos
Fabulous reports - thanks Alanho.  You certainly have rather missed a vocation.
I saw 2 new i30's unloaded from a tramsporter when I was at the dealer in Durham last week - sadly I wasnt quick enough to go and sniff round them before they were removed to the compound.
I am relieved that we will not get the electronic park brake (I would be very reluctant to buy a car fitted with that).
Note that the new i30's in UK are specced with 15 or at most 16" wheels - no 17" wheels as on the old top of range model, maybe after the ride criticisms.
Any feedback on the new 6 speed auto gearbox?  Is it more "active" than the old 4 speed torque converter?  Sadly I do note that the new auto still suffers a large fuel consumption & CO2 penalty (unlike Ford or VAG equivalents?), and therefore presumably also a performance penalty when compared to the manual.  I also think I noted that only a lesser tuned 110ho version of the 1.6CRDi is listed for the auto - and sadly no 128hp version and no sniff of the 1.7CRDi that finds its way into the ix35?
Looking forward to trying out a new i30, but wont be upgrading for a year or so.
On a parallel note Alan - if you are considering upgrading - are you happy /pleased with the residual value of your existing car? 
Ed

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal