i30 Owners Club

How to add DRLs to the Australian version of the 2012 model Hyundai i30?

Offline martybrisbania

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
G’day,

I’m awaiting the delivery of my brand new i30. I noticed the Australian version doesn’t come with the catchy LED day-time running lights (DRLs) of its European counterpart. Apparently it doesn’t come with the high-beam DRLs of its Canadian counterpart either. Although DRLs are not mandatory here, I personally believe it’s somewhat of a marketing blunder of Hyundai Australia. After all, many of their competitors, such as Volkswagen, Citroën, and soon also Opel, do equip their cars with DRLs. It’s a negligible investment but there’s ample scientific evidence that DRLs improve traffic safety. Anyway, so far my rant, let’s get to the point now.

I’d like to either enable the Canadian-style high-beam DRLs or fit European-style LED DRLs.

• Does anyone know how to enable the Canadian-style high-beam DRLs? Is it just a matter of changing some settings in the board computer? Maybe plug in a fuse somewhere?
• Do the European-style LED DRLs form one unit with the fog lights or are they an additional feature? In other words, would I be able to simply order the European-style LED DRLs and add them to the existing fog lights (I would probably need new plastic covers as well) or would I need to remove the existing fog lights and install a whole new unit?

I suppose it would be a lot easier to just enable the Canadian-style high-beam DRLs but at present I have no idea how to do that. Note I’m not particularly tech-savvy...

Cheers,

Marty
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 05:09:33 by martybrisbania »

Offline tla

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Melbourne
Welcome to the club!

There's still a lot of debate about whether DRLs are beneficial in sunny climes like in Oz.  Personally, I've found that they're not useful in medium to bright sunlight, but when it's overcast or in shady areas they are quite beneficial: evidenced by a dramatic reduction in cars trying to merge into me.

Unfortunately, can't help with your specific DRL questions.

Have you considered after-market DRLs like those offered by Philips?  I believe Ugly Mongrel has these fitted. Compared to the old model i30, the new model has more places to fit a DRL (especially around the grill area). 

I'm hoping that when they update the i30 in the upcoming years they will include DRLs either standard or as an option.
  • 2014 Cerato Si, YD, 2.0 GDi petrol, auto, white

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I have a UK new i30 Style model with the twin chrome bar grill and DRL's.

I imagine you could buy the UK fog lights which have DRL's to fit an Aussie car but they would be very very very expensive. You would also need to buy a relay box to ensure the DRL's were wired to an ignition on source and turned off when the headlights were on.

I have had a look at my car and cannot see any really suitable locations for aftermarket DRL kits. The front of the car is very smooth and the only locations you might sqeeze DRL units in would be within the grill.

In the UK DRL's must be fitted such that their outer edge is no more than 400 mm from the sides of the car. This means that they could be fitted above the black panel carrying the number plate. However the space between the top of the black panel and the chrome bar tapers from 40 mm to 30 mm high by just 40 mm deep from the front of the black panel. The front of the chrome bar is about 20 mm behind the front of the black panel so the lights, if flush with the black panel, would protrude in front of the chrome bar.

They could not be fitted below the black panel because they would exceed the 400 mm allowed from the side of the car.

From a quick look at the Phillips and Ring aftermarket DRL kits available in the UK - I have not found one that will fit in the space between the bars. There may be slimmer ones on Ebay - I have not looked.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
Welcome to the forum.
I'm a big believer in DRLs even in Australia.
Volvo pioneered these here in 1975.
If a conversion was done, at least in this state, you'd have to be sure that they would legally be recognised as DRLs and not modified fog lights as it's illegal to drive with fog lights on if adverse weather conditions aren't present.
I agree it was an uneccessary (probably cost-cutting) decision by Hyundai Australia and they should be standard accross the range.
It will be interesting to see if the presence of DRLs becomes a factor in the future in being awarded 5-star safety credentials. I believe they should be.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome Marty

Hyundai have included the DRL's in their Aussie Veloster & i40 Tourer so not sure why they haven't included them in the i30 apart from cost (they have included other features Europe don't get)

Different factory so maybe we get the Korean spec.

I like the look of the DRLs on the other two models (so I am disappointed too)  :disapp:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Seoul-mate

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sunshine Coast, Queensland
I have a UK new i30 Style model with the twin chrome bar grill and DRL's.

I imagine you could buy the UK fog lights which have DRL's to fit an Aussie car but they would be very very very expensive. You would also need to buy a relay box to ensure the DRL's were wired to an ignition on source and turned off when the headlights were on.

I have had a look at my car and cannot see any really suitable locations for aftermarket DRL kits. The front of the car is very smooth and the only locations you might sqeeze DRL units in would be within the grill.

In the UK DRL's must be fitted such that their outer edge is no more than 400 mm from the sides of the car. This means that they could be fitted above the black panel carrying the number plate. However the space between the top of the black panel and the chrome bar tapers from 40 mm to 30 mm high by just 40 mm deep from the front of the black panel. The front of the chrome bar is about 20 mm behind the front of the black panel so the lights, if flush with the black panel, would protrude in front of the chrome bar.

They could not be fitted below the black panel because they would exceed the 400 mm allowed from the side of the car.

From a quick look at the Phillips and Ring aftermarket DRL kits available in the UK - I have not found one that will fit in the space between the bars. There may be slimmer ones on Ebay - I have not looked.

Great info Alan  :goodjob2:
  • i30 1.6 Diesel (03/08- 09/12), MB B200 (09/12 -->)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Even in Oz with bright sunlight, DRL's are a good idea IMO. Heat shimmer & silver colour cars can make seeing an on coming vehicle nearly invisible. The correct intensity LED's are very good at highlighting an on coming vehicle. We have many cloudy days where I live. I have some to fit to my 1993 Commodore.  :neutral:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline jobski

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Melbourne
Hi guys,

I'm a new owner of a white i30 down here in Melbourne and i'm also looking at installing the UK fog lamp DRL.

I found this on ebay and was curious if this is a straight plug and play conversion as the seller doesn't provide instructions on how to install these.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Kspeed-2013-HYUNDAI-i30-Elantra-Touring-Fog-Light-LED-DRL-Cover-Wiring-/140780780190?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20c7303a9e#ht_8072wt_1002

Offline martybrisbania

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
I ordered a similar pair from a guy in Korea last week. Not sure if it's plug and play but if it isn't it should be fairly easy to power them through a universal DRL controller unit. I'll keep you posted!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hey they look like great value for a complete unit  :goodjob:

Offline jobski

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Melbourne

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Wonder if the fitting is the same for all years?  Will the kit fit a 2011 model?

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
They are for the new i30 so are a completely different shape to the old model so I'd say no, they wouldn't fit.... :winker:

Offline martybrisbania

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Thanks marty! How much did it cost you? Please do keep us posted!

Hi,

This is where I ordered them:

The lights: http://www.jayongmall.net/product.php?id_product=2753

The covers: http://www.jayongmall.net/product.php?id_product=2754

I paid USD 222.82 in total --- slightly cheaper than the offer you found on eBay. Both say 'OEM' (Original Equipment Manufacturer) so I suppose they're all produced in the same factory.

Cheers,

Marty 

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
You must want DRL's a lot  :faint:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline martybrisbania

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
There are cheaper solutions, that's right, but this looks so much better.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
They are for the new i30 so are a completely different shape to the old model so I'd say no, they wouldn't fit.... :winker:

But do you KNOW?  The lamp shape appears to be the same so I must look at old and new models side by side when I next visit my dealer.

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
But do you KNOW?  The lamp shape appears to be the same so I must look at old and new models side by side when I next visit my dealer.

I do know..... :winker:

When compared they are nothing alike.....

Top pic is the new model, bottom one is the old model..... :D

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
It would stand to reason that they would be plug and play, they wouldn't change too much in the wiring, too expensive.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline baroudeur

• 5th Gear

• gb United Kingdom

I do know..... :winker:

When compared they are nothing alike.....

Top pic is the new model, bottom one is the old model..... :D

Thank you that saves me a trip.   :goodjob:

What threw me me was the "I'd say no" implying uncertainty.

Offline martybrisbania

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Got my fog light/DRL units from Korea the other day and devoted my free afternoon to their installation. It wasn't particularly simple but I succeeded. It's not just a matter if plug and play since there's (as I already expected) no wiring for the DRLs on the Australian model. So I'll have to resort to a universal controller. That's the next step. First I have to find out the wattage of the DRLs. Does anyone know by any chance?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Nothing is simple these days  :undecided: (still be a nice mod when sorted though) :goodjob:

Can you email the supplier? 

Offline i30premy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      NW Sydney Aust
Hi Marty,
Am also planning to do this mod, how hard was it to fit the units?

I would think that Hyundai would have a worldwide generic black box in the car that could possibly control the DRLs but isn't programmed for Oz. Have you made any attempt to contact Hyundai Oz to see if it is possible?

I've tried through my dealer but it only went to the area service manager.
  • i30 GD Premium Petrol Auto 2012 ~ Clean Blue

Offline martybrisbania

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
I'll post more info soon. I kinda hoped that I could simply plug in a relays or something but even if I could, without wiring you won't get anywhere... :-) 

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
I know it costs a fair bit more and it's a bit late now but maybe this one would've been a better option?

:link:

Offline martybrisbania

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Hi guys,

Let me give you an update on the DRL saga. I've installed the DRL/fog light units but as I previously mentioned, unfortunately it's not just a matter of plug and play. I ordered a universal DRL control unit on Ebay, but I'm not sure if that was a wise thing to do: I connected the unit as indicated (black wire to the negative battery pole, red wire to the positive battery pole , but it didn't work as it should: the DRLs didn't come on and off with the engine, they just continued to stay on, also after I shut off the engine. The only other option I can think of is to connect the red wire to a power source that produces electricity only when the engine is on, but as may be apparent from this saga, I'm not particularly tech savvy so I have no clue which source it could be. If anyone has an idea, let me know. Otherwise I think there's just one option left: calling in the an official Hyundai dealer and ask them to fix it. Shouldn't cost them more than an hour.

Bottom line: If I had know how much hassle would be involved in this 'small' mod, I'd probably just have gone for universal DRLs. Much simpler and probably a lot cheaper...

Cheers,

Marty

Offline tla

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Melbourne
In the old-model i30, the B/UP fuse in the engine-bay fuse box would receive power when the ignition was in the ON position.  This may still be the case for the newer i30.  If you have access to the electrical schematic for the new i30 I could check for you.

To make the DRLs legal in OZ, you will also need to turn off (or dim) the DRLs when the head lights are on. 

I remember someone posting about a DRL control unit that senses the voltage across the battery to check whether the engine is on.  It also takes an input from the headlight wiring.  This would probably the simplest route to get your DRLs working.  I believe the aftermarket Philips DRLs use a similar control mechanism.

Alternatively, you can use a couple relays to serve as switches to control power to the DRLs based on whether the head lights are off and whether the ignition is on.
  • 2014 Cerato Si, YD, 2.0 GDi petrol, auto, white

Offline i30premy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      NW Sydney Aust
Hi Marty,

I'm also keen on doing this mod, I've asked my dealer for advice/assistance, ended up going to the group's parts manager, who's reply was "what's this guy on about?"
Have emailed Hyundai Oz HO via their contact form on their website, received an auto reply but nothing further - that was 2 weeks ago. Will ring next week requesting a contact email addy for a tech from the Korea factory. Not really expecting to be supplied it.
I think if we can contact a sympatheic Korean factory rep, then we may be able to get somewhere.
  • i30 GD Premium Petrol Auto 2012 ~ Clean Blue

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal