i30Dave · 36 · 25346

Offline i30Dave

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Adelaide, South Australia - Steel Grey SR i30
    • http://www.i30ownersclub.com
The automatic volume control on the i30 radio doesn't function as well
as in other cars. It does work minimally but not enough to really notice.
Maybe the Hyundai Service department could look into this and see if
it is actually working properly.

EDIT 18/05/2010: where to find

Offline i30Dave

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide

Quote from: "eye30"
Checked my SDVC setting and as it was OFF turned it ON.

Level set to 8 and driving "normally" on the motorway.

Accelerated to pass traffic and the volume increased to account for the increase in road noise.

Reduced speed - volume reduced.

Offline i30Dave

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide

Quote from: "Thumper"
I've found it very subtle, but noticeable.

In my diesel, I notice it more when pulling up for a set of lights, the volume does drop down.

When speeding back up, you don't really notice it getting any louder, that's until you pull up at a set of lights again, noticing the volume go down.

It does work, just not as noticeable as some might want/desire/believe.  :D

Offline tiny

• 3rd Gear

• ro Romania
      Bucharest
not a lot of noise on the subject, i have my SDVC set to on, i have tried it, it seems to be not working...anyone knows more about this? i just love my car and would like to use this so called feature.

Offline Hemmi

• V.I.P

• is Iceland
      Reykjavik, Iceland

• Reykjavik, Iceland & Monda, Spain
I never heard of this feature  :eek:

Offline Seoul-mate

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Sunshine Coast, Queensland
Even those that have heard of it still can't hear it.

SDVC = speed dependent volume control.
The volume of the radio should increase automatically as your
car's speed increases to counteract the increase in road noise.

It's useless in my car and most others it appears.
  • i30 1.6 Diesel (03/08- 09/12), MB B200 (09/12 -->)

Offline tiny

• 3rd Gear

• ro Romania
      Bucharest
I love my car so much, but some things annoy me, like this damn SDVC - why put it there in the first place?  my car hasn't got an illuminated ashtray, lighter, or mirror controls.

Offline Rubix

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

I usually HATE this feature. In the Tiida and Lancer that I've driven recently, they both had it, and it they pumped up the volume way too loud. Constantly turning it down when at top speed, and then slow down and stop at a traffic light and have to turn it back up again. And it would annoy me even more than it hit it's loudest just after I'd changed gear and revs were at a low point, so it would shock me.

In the i30, I find it perfect. Increases a little, but not too much that it wakes my wife when she's sleeping in the passenger seat.

Offline tiny

• 3rd Gear

• ro Romania
      Bucharest
You are right, but the ideea of having something that doesn't work bugs me, but all that is behind, i love my car, i fell in love with it after changing some annoying rattles in the shop, new direction and starting the tuning process.

Offline Blue

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Newcastle, Oz
I usually HATE this feature. In the Tiida and Lancer that I've driven recently, they both had it, and it they pumped up the volume way too loud. Constantly turning it down when at top speed, and then slow down and stop at a traffic light and have to turn it back up again. And it would annoy me even more than it hit it's loudest just after I'd changed gear and revs were at a low point, so it would shock me.

In the i30, I find it perfect. Increases a little, but not too much that it wakes my wife when she's sleeping in the passenger seat.

I'd agree.. it just works...
Cranking it up so you HEAR it get louder, isn't what it's about.  NOT noticing the volume change at all, is perfect!

bez10y
I tried it once but didn't like it so I just keep the volume on LOUD, half my hearing frequency range is gone anyway from too may gigs when I was younger ;)

Offline Blue

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle

• Newcastle, Oz

Offline Mutley

• 4th Gear
  • Woof!

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Fiery Red 2019 Premium!
    • Mutley Productions

I'd agree.. it just works...
Cranking it up so you HEAR it get louder, isn't what it's about.  NOT noticing the volume change at all, is perfect!

I love this feature! Totally agree about the not noticing it doing it but if you are on the highway at 100km/hr and then turn it off you can notice that it is working but if you leave it on all the time you don't even know it's doing it, brilliant!!! Oh and I realise this is an old topic but I had to post lol...

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I love this feature! Totally agree about the not noticing it doing it but if you are on the highway at 100km/hr and then turn it off you can notice that it is working but if you leave it on all the time you don't even know it's doing it, brilliant!!! Oh and I realise this is an old topic but I had to post lol...

No probs Mutley .. nice to get feedback on an old topic from a newer member..
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline kittikat

• 6th Gear
  • Purrrrfect (AKA Radar...)

• au Australia
      Sunbury, Vic
Okay, someone has to ask and it may as well be me.  :-[

Where does one find this little gem?    (Obviously on the radio functions, I'm not that slow. :eek: :D)
  • Dark Knight Kona Highlander 1.6l turbo aka Connor

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Okay, someone has to ask and it may as well be me.  :-[

Where does one find this little gem?    (Obviously on the radio functions, I'm not that slow. :eek: :D)

Taken straight from the manual..

10. SET UP Button
Press this button to turn to the SOUND,
RDS option, clock setting, time display,
SCROLL, SDVC, temperature display
and adjustment mode.

If no action is taken for 5 seconds after
pressing the button, it will return to the
play mode.(After entering SET UP mode,
move between items using the left, right
and PUSH functions of the TUNE button.)
The set up item changes from SOUND
>RDS>CLOCK>TIME>SCROLL>SDVC>TEMP>SOUND...

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
:lol: I just snapped the same thing...

• Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Yours is better I was being lazy (Just copy and paste...)

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
copied to OP
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline kittikat

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Sunbury, Vic
Thanks guys.  :D :D  Just went down to visit Viv and have set this little gem to 'on'.  I am always turning the radio up when I get on the open road, so this will be great.  I have to admit that even if I had seen it in the radio setup I would not have known what it was.  :rolleyes:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks guys.  :D :D  Just went down to visit Viv and have set this little gem to 'on'.  I am always turning the radio up when I get on the open road, so this will be great.  I have to admit that even if I had seen it in the radio setup I would not have known what it was.  :rolleyes:

No worries let us know what you think.. fairly mixed feedback on how it works as it is quite subtle (no that obvious) from my experience.. :cool:

Offline kittikat

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Sunbury, Vic
Have been living with it now for a couple of weeks and love it.   :D  I usually turned the radio up when I went from 80 to 100 kph's but now now I can hear it just as well at the faster speed.  I don't notice it as much when going slower, but it is a real bonus at 100.  Thanks for the heads up.  :D :D

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
I find it good at a hundred too  :mrgreen:

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen

Naughty boy :lol: :lol: :lol:

(Remember we work in mph over here not kph)  :eek: :eek:
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Naughty boy :lol: :lol: :lol:

(Remember we work in mph over here not kph)  :eek: :eek:

Ah.. that didn't click until now  :-[ :wink: :lol:

Online Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.

No worries let us know what you think.. fairly mixed feedback on how it works as it is quite subtle (no that obvious) from my experience.. :cool:
I think its subtlety is a bonus.
I set mine a few weeks ago and even my wife noticed and commented without me telling her about it.
My son has it in his Mazda 6 (with Bose speakers :evil:) and it's nice to be able to show him some of the features I've got for half the price. :cool:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Och_i30

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Oops - embarrassing ...
The dealer programmed the normal radio stations but didn't enable SDVC.
Didn't bother to read the section on the sound system as they're all the same ...
We've been turning the volume up and down for the last 6 months ...
Now enabled so looking forward to some subtle volume changes tomorrow morning.

Offline JASON6912

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
My Stereo was having issues with there being no sound only on the CD function, it would work fine on radio & AUX/Ipod functions.  It would do it for a few weeks then all of asudden work fine for a few weeks then play up again.  I took it to my local dealer for them to look at it and they ended up turning the SDVC funtion off for some reason. THey had the car for the whole day. They reckon that was the problem so I'm leaving it off for the moment te see if it has rectified the problem.  When I asked them why it was the problem and why would this function be available if you shouldn't use it they couldn't give me an answer.The Service Advisor could't even tell me what function was the problem ( he just said they turned off asetting I had on) when I picked the car up, I had to search through ALL the settings to see what they had changed.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Jason.. Will be interested to see if that fixes the problem (doubt that it will)  :cool:

Have you tried putting a Laser cleaning disc through the CD player (one of those CD's with a brush built in) as an intermittent problem like that could be a bit of grit moving around on the laser although more likely a loose connection in the player IMHO... :razz:

Pip
Yeah, as daz said and you thought also, there will not be a user configurable setting that will make playing CDs intermittant. It's either something like fluff on the laser or it's broken. Take it back at the first sign of trouble again. The media player probably has a shorter warranty that the rest of the car. Get it sorted before the warranty runs out.

While I was having my car looked at yesterday and sitting in the waiting room I saw a notice on the wall that said "all warranty claims MUST be finalised (repaired already) before the warranty period expires else they will not be honored" or words to that effect.

I doubt such hard rules would apply when push comes to shove but it did remind me to be firm enough to ensure anything that needs to be fixed ought to be fixed, and better sooner than later.  

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal