i30 Owners Club

cruise control disabled after brake light switch replaced

vividblue · 73 · 29083

Offline vividblue

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Perth WA
I have a 2009 FD cw sportswagon with the 2 litre engine.

I recently was having the ESP OFF light coming on in the dash and it was happening intermittently during the last few months. After lots of reading on the net and also this forum , I suspected that it was possibly related to the faulty brake light switch problem effecting many Hyundai vehicles.

At the next service I mentioned the problem to the dealer and they were happy to replace the suspected faulty brake light switch under warranty. However now the cruise control does not work ! The dealer said there is a problem and Hyundai currently working on a way to fix the cruise control .

I find it difficult to believe that by replacing a brake light switch they can't get the cruise control to work again. I had assumed that a like for like switch would have been fitted and everything would be working ? I asked the dealer what switch was fitted but he seemed vague and I got the feeling some other type of switch was fitted perhaps not specific to my model i30. He indicated that Hyundai in Korea are trying to find a solution and my car will be fixed when they know how to fix it.

Can anyone provide some more information on what the problem is and what is being done to fix it ?
  • 2009 FD cw sportswagon 2lt auto

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Rather than wait for Hy to find a solution, check ALL your fuses for continuity. I suspect the switch may have been replaced without disconnecting the battery and if an inadvertent short occurred while making the replacement, it may have blown a fuse. Like you, I can't see any other reason for CC to become inoperative due to a switch. May others here have had the replacement without any effect on the CC.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Aye30

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth
Here is what my brake switch looks like on  my 2010 trophy with cruise control, which had a "software update" to fix the esp off light which kept comming on.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
My take is that there's every probability the dealership just didn't do enough of the job to check that you get to drive away with the fix. Any story of a 'fix' is just that - a story. Facesaving attempts such as this are timewasting and a frustration for you. Phil has offered great advice with checking fuses as a first step. Your second should be the connection to the switch. Test how well the wiring to the switch has been reseated after replacement.
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline vividblue

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Perth WA
I just checked all the fuses and they are all showing continuity. I also disconnected the brake light switch and reconnected it to make sure everything was seated correctly.

I had a look at my brake light switch and it looks the same as the picture in the above post.

I then took the car for a drive and the cruise control still does not work. The cruise control switch
will turn it on and off but it will not work when the set switch is pressed. The set light momentarily lights then goes off again.

I would like to believe that the dealer has not done the job properly, however at the carsguide website there are comments from people experiencing the same problem I am having.

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
G'day mate,

I had the brake light switch replaced on my 2010 CW and the Cruise Control works like a charm.

I suspect the dealer is spinning you a line. The only thing could be that they recently changed the switch design and rushed them into service. But given the popularity of cruise control, I suspect they wouldn't do this.

Given you get your car serviced there (and pay their excessive servicing costs) I think you have cause to demand better service.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
The only other suggestion I can offer would be to disconnect the battery for an hour, then reconnect & see what happens. Otherwise, off to the dealer.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
probably mot failure in uk if cc not working
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
How would they know?
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline vividblue

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Perth WA
I just sent off an email to Hyundai Australia with my concerns and I will wait for their response.

If I disconnect the battery say for an hour , is their any codes I need to program back into the radio like in some cars as I don't have any info on that ?

Also does anyone know if the brake light switch is the same across all models ? The dealer indicated to me that it was cars with the 2 litre engine that are effected.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
There should be a record of the Radio Code somewhere  :undecided:

Several different Hyundai models have had Brake light switch problems (and in different countries too)  :Pout:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Pretty sure radio code is not required for 2009 model, but you might loose your station presets.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
How would they know?

There is a green light on the dash which illuminates when CC on.

That also goes for all warning lights.

If any light is lit and doesn't go out which should, then failure.
eg handbrake light goes out when handbrake disengaged.  If it stay lit failure.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 14:03:53 by eye30 »
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

ouri30
I just sent off an email to Hyundai Australia with my concerns and I will wait for their response.

If I disconnect the battery say for an hour , is their any codes I need to program back into the radio like in some cars as I don't have any info on that ?

Also does anyone know if the brake light switch is the same across all models ? The dealer indicated to me that it was cars with the 2 litre engine that are effected.

I've received recall notices for a 2 litre ix35 and a 1.4 litre i20.  These have come from Hy AU.  Must check the i20. Could it have a 2 litre?  :wtf:

Offline vividblue

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Yes my car does have the 2 litre engine. Its' a Dec 2009 FD cw sportswagon. The service guy told me that the problem was with cars with the 2 litre engine after the brake light switch had been replaced , the cruise control would not function. I don't understand how this can be if the brake light switch is replaced with the same type. I had no problem with the cruise control prior to the brake light switch being replaced. Only problem I had was intermittent ESP OFF coming on in the dash.

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
As others have said, yours is not the first to be replaced here in Oz. But it's the first to report that problem.
Mine will be replaced in the next 2 or 3 weeks so we'll see what happens.

Also, and I could be mistaken here, but this is the first I've heard about it only affecting petrol engines.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline plasticphyte

• 4th Gear
  • Bazinga!

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• Bazinga!
When I was at a Hyundai dealer yesterday to get my cars air conditioning repaired, I overheard one of the staff talking to another client with an earlier model i30 that was getting the brake light recall fix done. She asked if the car had cruise control, stating that if it did, they wouldn't be able to replace the brake switch. I didn't hear the conversation properly, but it sounded like they had to get another type of switch in if the car had cruise control.
  • i30 Premium 2012 1.6l Diesel

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

When I was at a Hyundai dealer yesterday to get my cars air conditioning repaired, I overheard one of the staff talking to another client with an earlier model i30 that was getting the brake light recall fix done. She asked if the car had cruise control, stating that if it did, they wouldn't be able to replace the brake switch. I didn't hear the conversation properly, but it sounded like they had to get another type of switch in if the car had cruise control.

That is interesting, thanks  :cool:

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia

It took 30 days for a responce for my last email.

I would call Hyundai or the dealer unless your not that keen on Cruise Control.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline vividblue

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Well it has been two days now since I emailed Hyundai Oz. I am yet to receive a response from them which I find disappointing.

I am hoping that they can confirm that there is a problem and provide some technical details of the issue and a time frame when it will be resolved , or tell me that there is no problem and that the dealer is telling me less than the full truth.

ouri30
Our ix35 is having the brake light switch replaced tomorrow.  I wonder if we'll have cruise after the switch is switched.

Cruise control has been doing some odd things over the last month or more.  Wonder if the switch replacement will resolve them.  I've reported the strange happenings and am monitoring the odd behaviour.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
... am monitoring the odd behaviour.
Of the system or the dealer?  :whistler: :lol:

ouri30
... am monitoring the odd behaviour.
Of the system or the dealer?  :whistler: :lol:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Had the switch replaced on the ix35 today.  Even got a car wash and vacuum. Still have cruise control working.  Might have solved the issues with cruise control as there were no issues on the way home.

One young mechanic I spoke to still reckons the cruise control issues are related to a faulty clock spring, whatever that is.  My mind is trying to cope with the idea that the cruise is controlled by a clock spring.  I can't find the key to wind it up with anywhere.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
My mind is trying to cope with the idea that the cruise is controlled by a clock spring.  I can't find the key to wind it up with anywhere.
Here you go. My Masters may be in Electronic Warfare but my PhD is in Google.  :lol:
Clockspring Repair

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

My mind is trying to cope with the idea that the cruise is controlled by a clock spring.  I can't find the key to wind it up with anywhere.
Here you go. My Masters may be in Electronic Warfare but my PhD is in Google.  :lol:
Clockspring Repair

The guy that posted that was pretty handy but not much of a Thai-pissed  :whistler:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
 :goodjob2: Dazz,  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline vividblue

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Update

I called another dealer today to see what they had to say about my problem with the cruise control. It was a similar story to what my regular dealer said but with a bit more information.

It is confirmed that there are problems only with the 2 litre engines and doesn't seem to effect the 1.6l engines.
Because the replacement brake light switches were still failing, a different switch was manufactured but somehow the design of the switch was messed up so it won't work with the 2L engine thus disabling the cruise control.

There is still no time frame as to when the new replacement switch will be available (rumour of May?) but effected owners will be notified once it is available.

So I will just have to wait   :disapp:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
If the other one wasn't faulty, then they should reinstall it, or compensate you each day of inconvenience you have.

Offline vividblue

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Perth WA
The justification the dealer used was that it was better (safer) to have the ESP and brake lights working and not the cruise control.

I can live with not having cruise control for a few months as I cycle to work anyway and my missus uses the car just to do the school run and shopping. Only use cruise when we go away on holidays which won't be for a few months, so hopefully the new switch will be available then.

I am disappointed more information wasn't forthcoming from my dealer to the actual problem at the time I picked up the car or before the switch was changed.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal