i30 Owners Club

i30 Diesel engine life?

liability · 28 · 10943

Offline liability

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Hi Guys,

Just joined the forum as I am seriously thinking of buying a new i30 diesel (probably an Active X CRDi auto) in the next couple of weeks. Have had a couple of drives of one and quite like it  :D

I did 85,000kms last year and spent over $10,000 on petrol for my 6cly Fairlane. I basically do long distance commuting, about 80% of my travel is highway/freeway at 100-110kph, 20% light outer urban traffic at 60-80kph

Whilst my Fairlane is very comfortable, the fuel cost is seriously eating into my beer money   :(

I have done some research and I am guessing that I can easily halve my fuel bill with an i30 diesel.

I have never owned a diesel before, but I gather that the engines, generally speaking, last longer than petrol engines.

I may reduce my mileage "slightly" in coming years, but what I want to know is how many kms should I expect from the engine if it is serviced regularly and used mostly for highway/freeway travel? 

In addition to the scheduled 15,000km services (which will be around every 3 months for me) I would do an oil/filter change in between and generally look after it "better" than what the service schedule says.

Given that the warranty is for 5 years unlimited kms, will the engine still be going strong if I do, say, 300-400,00kms in that time?

• Active X CRDi DCT

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
 :wttc:
You are in pretty much the same situation as me.
I am now on my second i30 diesel.
The first one, the old shape FD was a 5 speed manual and I sold it at 136,000 kms - totally reliable car.
The one I have now is the newer shape GD diesel, 6 speed manual. It will be three years old tomorrow and has done 158,000 kms.
Because I do the kms so quickly, I don't do the intermediate services - just every 15,000 kms.
But I have used the same quality oil in it from new and it is running beautifully now.
I expect to get (and will be disappoionted if I don't) 400,000 + kms from it.
Bearing in mind that Hyundai has been building diesel engines for decades for their home (truck) market, they know what they are doing.
Being a manual and with long commutes, I get over 1,000 kms per tank of diesel.
If you go for an auto, my guess would be about 150 kms less but others may have a view on this.
I too used to have big Australian cars but find my i30 perfect for what I want now.  :)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline liability

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Thanks for the reply Doggie 1.

I haven't had a manual for quite a while, but have nothing against them.

"Someone" told me that the lower gear ratios in the manual were very low and painful to use in city type traffic, have you found that to be the case?

Does the 7 speed auto really use much more fuel than the 6 speed manual?

I also notice that the auto has more torque than the manual (going on the published figures), I wonder if this is noticeable in the real world?

I was initially looking at a Cerato, but after driving the i30 CRDi I think I have changed my mind.
  • Active X CRDi DCT

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

I haven't noticed that re the gear ratios so no problem there.
I can't really answer about the auto fuel usage. I was thinking of the 6 speed auto.
Someone with an auto may be able to answer re the torque.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline liability

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
From what I have read the new 7 speed dual clutch auto is a big improvement over the previous 6 speed auto. But I am only going on what others have said.

Good to hear about the manual, as I said I am not that fussed either way, and the manual is cheaper than the auto.

Quite painful this whole "buying a new car" thing  :D
  • Active X CRDi DCT

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
As a former Falcon owner, your Hyundai will be far more reliable than your Ford.

I too did 136k on my previous FD I30 CW and the only issue I had was a slight oil leak from the auto at 120k which was fixed without argument under warranty. When I sold her, I thought there was plenty of life left in the engine, and those who test drove commented on how well she drove. I didn't even have to change a brake pad.

With the large number of highway k's you do doing more than the regular oil change would be a waste in my humble opinion.

Coming from a big 6 you will notice the diesel engine most aproximates the driving experience of the Ford, at 110k the old 4 speed sat at around 2500rpm, My new 6 speed i40 diesel sits at 2100, God knows what the 7 speed would do.

With the i40 diesel auto I get around 5.4l/100 (its a bigger car) but you could probably expect better from a GD 6 speed auto, and even better from the 7 speed.

Lastly, shop around and keep an eagle eye on the various car websites, occasionally Hyundai decides they need to clear something, and they really cut the price. If there are any previous model GD diesels getting around you might get a very good deal indeed.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline liability

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
I must admit I haven't had any reliability problems with my Fairlane, which now has 350,000kms on it. 

Whilst I am not desperate for a new car, I would like to get one reasonably soon as the Fairlane rego runs out in early February. I don't want to have to renew the rego (I am giving the Fairlane to the stepson who is going to use it for burnouts or some other revhead thing the kids do nowadays).

I see that the prices on the 2015 i30s are staring to drop as the year draws to an end.  Are they likely to drop much more in the new year?
  • Active X CRDi DCT

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
They're doing deals on some models atm with free auto AND $1000 cash back..
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :welcome: liability.

The i30 drives like a bigger car (feeling very solid and stable on the road) I just did 700 kms over the weekend in the wife's Petrol Tourer (wagon) and I was pleasantly surprised compared with my VF Calais V. Not as much of a hardship as I expected.

As you say by all accounts the new 7 speed DCT transmission is more efficient and gives better economy than the previous 6 speed auto. I wouldn't have considered an auto CRDi for economy reasons before, but I would now.  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
I must admit I haven't had any reliability problems with my Fairlane, which now has 350,000kms on it. 

Whilst I am not desperate for a new car, I would like to get one reasonably soon as the Fairlane rego runs out in early February. I don't want to have to renew the rego (I am giving the Fairlane to the stepson who is going to use it for burnouts or some other revhead thing the kids do nowadays).

I see that the prices on the 2015 i30s are staring to drop as the year draws to an end.  Are they likely to drop much more in the new year?

You might see a 19,990 and free auto pop up on the petrol, getting a good deal on the diesel takes a bit more luck and negotation. They are very popular with fleet.

Your lucky with the Fairlane, I can tell a sad tail of 2 head gaskets and a broken drive chain which finally killed my EL jost short of 200,000k. When I traded the Ba, it was leaking diff oil, the auto fluid had met the radiator coolant (I noticed before too much harm was done) and all the rear suspension bushes needed replacing.....It had only done 140k.....

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
When you say that you've heard that diesel engines last longer.......

Just how many petrol engines have you actually worn out?   or have you known of being worn out by someone?

:crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1: :crazy1:

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

If I was aiming for longevity, I'd go for diesel every time.   :)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Just how many petrol engines have you actually worn out?   or have you known of being worn out by someone?

Define worn out.....

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hi liability

:wttc:

The 1,6 CRDi is a nice engine. My 2008 now have 244.000 km on the odo and still run nice and smooth. Actually the fuel usage gets lower the older the car gets. Like Doggie I also expect to get 350.000+ km from this engine.

With your annual mileage I sure wouldn't waste money on extra oil change. Mind you, here in Europe the oil change interval is up to 30.000 km/ 2 year, and I still haven't heard about problems with the engines longevity.

For some strange reason the DCT have 300 Nm where the 6 sp MT have 280 Nm. Unless you want to use the i30 to tow the extra torque shouldn't be a deciding factor.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline liability

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      ACT

Well I have never actually "worn out" a petrol engine, have had several Falcons, Commodores and a V6 Sonata that all reached around 400,000kms without any major issues. I see your point  :D

You might see a 19,990 and free auto pop up on the petrol, getting a good deal on the diesel takes a bit more luck and negotation. They are very popular with fleet.

True, I have not done any real negotiating with dealers yet, but it looks like I will have to pay around en extra $4,000 for the diesel model.
  • Active X CRDi DCT

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
  :welcome:
Like everyone has said, they are a good thing!!!
All you do is drive them, have them serviced & your visits to servo's will be a lot fewer & far between.
Before i retired i lived in Sydney & drove out the bush every weekend just about, had two FD CRDi manual one 5 speed then replacement was 6 speed both fantastic. very easy to drive the manual in traffic perfect on hill starts as the Torque comes in at lower rev than your failane and no clutch riding needed i just eased out clutch no throttle and it would never stall or roll back on a hill ( unless i put it in reverse. ) just remember if your a long time with auto, the shift is spring loaded so push to the left in neutral as far as can the forward, i see too many auto drivers forget and just push gear shift forward into 3rd gear then when stall , go back to auto. just as you are petrol now, remember don't miss fuel. Don't rev motor high like you do with petrol as diesel makes torque at low revs shift at 2,000 will not need to shift out of top gear till you go below about 70k or 80k and u will be surprised how the little 1.6 diesel pulls a hill at least my two did & i went from a late model Falcon V8 ute . you just keep driving servicing filling with diesel & forget about use by date they just keep going. but change fuel filters as very important with diesel!!!!!
Also need to point out, i have never driven the auto CRDi & the new one has the duel clutch 7 speed trans so should be good but the weak link for you will be the trans, as i used to drive long distance's before retiring and i saw a lot of Auto trans fail & let me down but never had let me down, had a holden manual gear box bearing go but could still drive had a few clutches go but could fix them myself .
but with the last two petrol auto's i had both auto's failed the motor's both still runing strong so after second time i said no more auto trans for me! never looked back. so ask how long will the trans last as i'll bet that will go first!!!

« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 20:59:28 by Lakes »

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
The 1.6 is definitely a great diesel engine. We have an 09 i30 wagon and 14 i30, both manual Diesels.

The wagon has just over 135,000km on the clock and is going strong. It's a great tow car as well and easily tows our 1100kg camper trailer with ease and only increase fuel consumption to 7-7.5 litres. Keep in mind the wagon is only 85kw / 255nm.

One thing I did notice on the updated i30's Specs is that they have made the manual Diesels torque available from 1,500rpm. The previous manual diesel is from 1750 rpm. This would made a considerable difference driving the manual.

No doubt the 7 speed auto is a big step up from the 6 speed. If the 7 speed was available when we were looking to buy, I think we would have bought the auto.
  • 05 Hyundai Elantra Elite 5spd 2.0 Petrol, Black Sedan

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
 :welcum: liability

Don't have much to add - excepting when my parents had a CRDi i30 auto, about 4 years ago now, and I drove it I definitely felt the difference between it and my petrol i30cw auto (I don't think the other differences between the hatch and wagon accounted for all, or most, of the difference).  The diesel impressed me.

With a DCT, as I think our #2 World Class Technician has pointed out in another topic, being an electronically controlled manual gearbox - well actually two electronically controlled clutched gear-sets, one for the odd gears and one for the even, in the one gearbox... allowing the next up/down gear to pre-selected and it's clutch to be engaging while the other is dis-engaging - I would have expected it to be similar to the manual... interesting to note that it appears to be better, at least in some aspects.
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Just checked out the New spec sheet on the i30 CRDi GD.
the 7 speed double clutch auto ( it's not a manual ) add's 100KG over the 6 speed manual, one thing i found with the 1.6 CRDi when you add weight performance & economy are effected. 100kg is like one extra large adult on board.
but some people only drive auto, if you call that a manual, does that mean the driver needs a manual licence?

(Sorry got weights mixed up with petrol, diesel 100kg heavier than petrol ) on hyundai au they have the weight on petrol diesel manual side by side i read it as diesel manual Diesel Auto.  i wonder how often the fuid in the duel clutch auto needs changing? a friend has a VW duel clutch trans told me they use special fuid in them , but never asked how often needed servicing .
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 19:47:11 by Lakes »

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Are you sure you looked at the right info, John?  :undecided:
Assuming I've looked up the specs correctly, it's only an extra 27 kg over the manual tranny...

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
the 7 speed double clutch auto ( it's not a manual ) add's 100KG over the 6 speed manual, one thing i found with the 1.6 CRDi when you add weight performance & economy are effected. 100kg is like one extra large adult on board.
but some people only drive auto, if you call that a manual, does that mean the driver needs a manual licence?

Funny - I called it an electronically controlled manual gearbox... on the convention (of common defacto usage), in part due to the many years there have only really been two types,  that a 'manual' has a clutch plate + gears; where as an 'auto' uses fluid-coupling in place of the clutch found in a "manual" and fluid pressure to control the various clutches and bands that control the planetary gears in an "automatic" - overall 'hydraulics'.  Of course for driver control of gearbox purposes - 'manual' means manually controlling clutch (and integrating gear-shift with clutch pedal depression) and 'automatic' means without manual clutch control however, again due to there only having really been two types for a long time, an auto has become synonymous with hydraulic auto that includes auto gear-selection (often referred to as auto, A/T or Automatic Transmission).  Which is a small but important note... being there are a number of 'automatic' gearboxes where gear-selection, though not the actual change, is still a manual control (e.g. some motor sports racing) - are these hydraulic auto sans gear-selection logic gearboxes? or electronically controlled clutched (e.g. manual) gearboxes? or other (I am excluding from this gearboxes where gear-selection is automatic but can be put to a, mostly, manual mode by simply moving the gear-selector to +/- position at anytime).   Of course auto being synonymous with hydraulic auto can be clearly seen in marketing materials for vehicles - a CVT isn't marketed as 'A/T' (or Automatic Transmission) but rather being a CVT; likewise for DCT (see image below) - even though both are, in regards to driver control (based on lack of clutch), 'automatics' and usually will be pointed out somewhere in the material.

I am pretty sure that nowhere, in my previous post, did I call it 'a manual' nor 'an auto' in the driver control context - rather pointing out, due to it's highly similar/same principle of operation (albeit with different control mechanism) to 'the manual', that I would expect it to be similar in performance to the manual offering.

Nor do I decide what the definition of something is in regards to specific legislation (nor does legislative definition necessarily define common usage i.e. common convention) - 'art union' is a good-one (very simply any game of chance with a prize - which doesn't make sense until you know originally the only prize allowed was art).   However I would presume in the context of manual vs auto driver license, and legislation relating to that, that DCT, CVT, etc. would be considered 'auto' much like an 'A/T' in 'tiptronic' mode is still considered an 'auto' even though gear-selection is manual (only the changing is not).

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Funny - I called it an electronically controlled manual gearbox... on the convention (of common defacto usage), in part due to the many years there have only really been two types,  that a 'manual' has a clutch plate + gears; where as an 'auto' uses fluid-coupling in place of the clutch found in a "manual" and fluid pressure to control the various clutches and bands that control the planetary gears in an "automatic" - overall 'hydraulics'.  Of course for driver control of gearbox purposes - 'manual' means manually controlling clutch (and integrating gear-shift with clutch pedal depression) and 'automatic' means without manual clutch control however, again due to there only having really been two types for a long time, an auto has become synonymous with hydraulic auto that includes auto gear-selection (often referred to as auto, A/T or Automatic Transmission).  Which is a small but important note... being there are a number of 'automatic' gearboxes where gear-selection, though not the actual change, is still a manual control (e.g. some motor sports racing) - are these hydraulic auto sans gear-selection logic gearboxes? or electronically controlled clutched (e.g. manual) gearboxes? or other (I am excluding from this gearboxes where gear-selection is automatic but can be put to a, mostly, manual mode by simply moving the gear-selector to +/- position at anytime).   Of course auto being synonymous with hydraulic auto can be clearly seen in marketing materials for vehicles - a CVT isn't marketed as 'A/T' (or Automatic Transmission) but rather being a CVT; likewise for DCT (see image below) - even though both are, in regards to driver control (based on lack of clutch), 'automatics' and usually will be pointed out somewhere in the material.

I am pretty sure that nowhere, in my previous post, did I call it 'a manual' nor 'an auto' in the driver control context - rather pointing out, due to it's highly similar/same principle of operation (albeit with different control mechanism) to 'the manual', that I would expect it to be similar in performance to the manual offering.

Nor do I decide what the definition of something is in regards to specific legislation (nor does legislative definition necessarily define common usage i.e. common convention) - 'art union' is a good-one (very simply any game of chance with a prize - which doesn't make sense until you know originally the only prize allowed was art).   However I would presume in the context of manual vs auto driver license, and legislation relating to that, that DCT, CVT, etc. would be considered 'auto' much like an 'A/T' in 'tiptronic' mode is still considered an 'auto' even though gear-selection is manual (only the changing is not).

You're a man of few words, aren't you?   :lol:   :goodjob2:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania

Yes.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Yes.

:lol:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Yes - very few.

Damn! I can't even just answer yes  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

And I didn't even go into the point there are different classes of manual gearboxes for licensing as well (regards LR/MR/HR/HC/MC).

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Yes - very few.

Damn! I can't even just answer yes  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

And I didn't even go into the point there are different classes of manual gearboxes for licensing as well (regards LR/MR/HR/HC/MC).

:rofl:    :goodjob2:
  • Tertius the i30

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
ibrokeit, sorry if i upset you.

i just like manual as i don't want to grow old driving auto  :lol:

you see accident caused by people in Auto's normally older people, that could not happen in most cases if they were driving a manual. one day i witnessed a lady in a Toyota Camry auto reverse into a paling fence, keep her foot on throttle and the car rear road up the fence till the rear of the car was hanging off top of the fence. poor lady was in shock. people use the wrong peddle a lot. make a mistake in a manual normally car will stall.

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
ibrokeit, sorry if i upset you.

Thanks - you did a little.   Your responses basically said I was wrong for saying what I did - reinforced with the question regards license.

i just like manual as i don't want to grow old driving auto  :lol:

you see accident caused by people in Auto's normally older people, that could not happen in most cases if they were driving a manual. one day i witnessed a lady in a Toyota Camry auto reverse into a paling fence, keep her foot on throttle and the car rear road up the fence till the rear of the car was hanging off top of the fence. poor lady was in shock. people use the wrong peddle a lot. make a mistake in a manual normally car will stall.

Oh I can get that - I prefer manual... I remember someone asking me why I thought manuals were better than autos, having heard, my preference.  I said 'timing of gear-shifts', he said 'but autos change faster', to which I said 'Yes, but they are delayed because the react to changes related to engine and road speed, with a manual I can predict and start changing gears before I need to take other actions and I can miss a gear if needed.' that got him thinking.

Regards to grow old driving an auto - if the current market preference for autos in AU stays or increases you might not get a choice :(  The only reason I went with an auto on my i30cw was it didn't have a manual option (at that level).   That is also a good point about manuals usually stall if you muck it up.

Most of the accidents around here are caused by people with no clue how to drive.  Often those with no clue how to drive are in 15-20yo Holden/Fords which don't look the best... but that doesn't matter because I can put my foot-down and show everyone how "powerful" my car is!  :rolleyes:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal