i30 Owners Club

Hill Assist

Offline Stuwoolf

• 3rd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      A wee town south of Glasgow
Have hill start assist on my 64 Reg i30 petrol.

Its a pain in the orifice. Can it be switched off?

Grateful for any help on this.
  • 2014, i30, 5 Door Hatch, 1.4 Active, Petrol, 6 Speed Manual, Silver

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I also have it and i hate it....

I asked at dealers not long after i bought my car and told can't disable/turn off
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
No it cant be turned off.

What dont you like about it. I always thought it was a very good system.
  • 2018 I30-SR. 2002 Tiburon. 2000 Wrangler.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
For me one example is i stop at traffic lights on a slight incline up. 

If the lights are on red as i am approaching and have just come to a stand still, if they turn to green and i want to move away i can't as the hill assist has engaged.

Another is sometimes it will engage when least expecting especially when 99 time out of 100 previous at the same incline it hasn't!
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I stalled Trish's car twice over the weekend both time when stopped at lights on hills.  :Pout: (so I know where you are coming from)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I quite like the hill assist and haven't had any problems with it, once stopped on a hill and brakes applied "once" without removing pressure...then as clutch is releasing and forward motion detected hill start will release and away you go :)

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
The hill start assist should release as soon as throttle input is detected.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I should have re-worded that, as clutch is releasing and "throttle applied" :goodjob:

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
All I can say is the HAC must have some kind of finicky sensor, either that or mine is faulty.

The only time mine EVER applies is when I'm parking up at home (slight incline on driveway). At no other time has it ever worked, even on the slopes of Horseshoe Pass in Wales (I deliberately tried to engage it).
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
There must be an inclinometer somewhere, disable that and the hill assist should be disabled, too.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
I should have re-worded that, as clutch is releasing and "throttle applied" :goodjob:

Wasnt aimed at you sorry.

There must be an inclinometer somewhere, disable that and the hill assist should be disabled, too.

Takes its 8* reading from the ABS/ESP module. Some part of the yaw-rate/G-sensor.

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
Does the hill assist have own fuse somewhere? If it does, then you might just take the fuse out...
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Does the hill assist have own fuse somewhere? If it does, then you might just take the fuse out...

Good idea, but I would be very surprised if fuse for that alone!  :undecided:

Offline Stuwoolf

• 3rd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      A wee town south of Glasgow
Oh well. I guess I must suffer this nonsense.

Have to say hill start assist is just another attempt to compensate for shit drivers.

Hey ho...............
  • 2014, i30, 5 Door Hatch, 1.4 Active, Petrol, 6 Speed Manual, Silver

Offline cruiserfied

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Grafton, NSW

• Crooked-H Hero
Oh well. I guess I must suffer this nonsense.

Have to say hill start assist is just another attempt to compensate for shit drivers.

Hey ho...............

While i agree it is to compensate for poor drivers it is far from nonsense.

It would help unconfident drivers and cause less stress. This would then improve that drivers ability. Yes its a crutch to lean on but i dont see it being a bad thing.

You'll get used to it and learn to drive with it as normal.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Never had any issue with it on the Kia, have never stalled due to it and find it works consistently and is probably even more helpful with the autobox as it stops the car creeping forward as well as back.

Having said that the ix20 and i40 versions were never quite as "good" as the i30FD (same issue with consistency as you guys are reporting), which was infinitely better than on the Scooby Impreza (the one I had applied the brake to one front wheel only and it just felt weird on a steep incline as one side of the car would slip a little and you got that metallic twang as the other side locked, which was then replicated when you applied the throttle and it released (this was in 2004 so was probably in it's infancy)), so perhaps the question is what has Hyundai done to the logic behind it that Kia haven't which is causing owners grief?

I had to actually think about this as I was reading the thread as the Cee'd just gets on with it without me really noticing (hope that makes sense!).
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Never had any issue with it on the Kia, have never stalled due to it and find it works consistently and is probably even more helpful with the autobox as it stops the car creeping forward as well as back.

Having said that the ix20 and i40 versions were never quite as "good" as the i30FD (same issue with consistency as you guys are reporting), which was infinitely better than on the Scooby Impreza (the one I had applied the brake to one front wheel only and it just felt weird on a steep incline as one side of the car would slip a little and you got that metallic twang as the other side locked, which was then replicated when you applied the throttle and it released (this was in 2004 so was probably in it's infancy)), so perhaps the question is what has Hyundai done to the logic behind it that Kia haven't which is causing owners grief?

I had to actually think about this as I was reading the thread as the Cee'd just gets on with it without me really noticing (hope that makes sense!).

How is your car for brake dust Brian? I have a theory that the Euro built tourer has soft pads and this combined with the hill start assist makes for more dust and quicker wearing pads (than the old FD) :cool:

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
The Cee'd is much less dusty than the ix20 or i40, the i40 in particular was horrific.
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

The Cee'd is much less dusty than the ix20 or i40, the i40 in particular was horrific.

Thanks Brian.. I wonder if Kia pads fit the i30???

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Personally I'd stick with the softer pads, discs will last longer as the steel quality used these days isn't what it used to be.

EBC Greenstuff 2000 pads are very minimal dust but I'm not sure whether they cover the i30 yet  :undecided:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Personally I'd stick with the softer pads, discs will last longer as the steel quality used these days isn't what it used to be.

EBC Greenstuff 2000 pads are very minimal dust but I'm not sure whether they cover the i30 yet  :undecided:

With the mileage we are doing in Trish's Tourer the pads should last a few years anyway. The dust is a pain though..  :undecided:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Yeah they are very dusty pads, I don't notice it as much with the black rims now but it still builds up.
What I've started doing is when I do the tyres with the Black Magic tyre foam I'll wait till it dissolves then wipe the excess on the wheels ( similar to silicon spray ), then a hose off once a week takes the dust straight off.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks for the tip (as the fat lady said to the... oh never mind!) :undecided:

Offline GDTourer

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
I hate this feature, worst part of an otherwise excellent car. The problem is that it activates for a pre-set amount of time, regardless of whether you're trying to take off or not.

The only times I've stalled my car (2013 Diesel Manual Tourer) have been when this stupid system won't disengage.

My dealer told me it could be turned off, but I never followed it up as I just got used to it.
  • 2013 Tourer Diesel Manual

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal