SONOS Speaker Systems

AlanHo · 15 · 3787

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
My wife is a music lover and I am toying with getting her a Sonos WiFi speaker system. Possibly the Sonos Play 3.

(At present she uses an iPod Nano docked into a Bose Soundock)

Do any members have a Sonos - if so which model.

How do you control yours and how happy are you with it.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
A work colleague had one  and was very happy with it and also now owns the soundbar for his tv.  I'm not sure on the current interface, but I recall that it was not possible to play iTunes created playlists etc as Sonos uses their own "player".  That would be a deal breaker for me as I have a large music collection and very complex playlists that would take ages to re-create. 

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
I don't have a SONOS system, however I do have a Pioneer wi-fi speaker, which is awesome.  It uses Airplay, or bluetooth, or direct connection to play music.  I can control it from wherever I am in the house with my iPhone, or iPad, or my Apple Macbook.  I can even control it from here in Broome while the wife and kids are at home.  That really annoys them (particularly at 3am).

Have a look around at the different brands, and decide on the one that best suits you.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
If she's a real lover of music Alan with an exceptional ear then you cant get better than Bowers & Wilkins :link: Download Bowers & Wilkins Setup Apps including AirPlay wireless iTunes Setup App

Stronger and quicker bass response with highs and clarity that Bose or Klipsch simply cant match :goodjob2:
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 15:25:44 by CraigB »

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Thanks for the replies guys.

If I buy one - it has to work with Windows and Android. She has a Google Nexus tablet and a windows laptop.

It doesn't have to be ultra hiFi Craig - if you heard the pop music she enjoys you would understand. It does my 'ed in.

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
- if you heard the pop music she enjoys you would understand. It does my 'ed in.

Coming from Birmingham/midlands area is her bestie

Slade - merry christmas everyone!

« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 16:13:20 by eye30 »
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Pop music :eek: :lol: not a problem Alan, I always start the lawn mower when the other half decides to put on her crap music :D

eye30@ I like Slade :goodjob2:

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Pop music :eek: not a problem Alan, I always start the lawn mower when the other half decides to put on her crap music :D

eye30@ I like Slade :goodjob2:
Thought it was topical being the run up to xmas.  i could have included ....

Roy Wood and Wizard - I wish it could be christmas everyday

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Thought it was topical being the run up to xmas.  i could have included ....

Roy Wood and Wizard - I wish it could be christmas everyday

:link: Roy Wood and Wizard - I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday - YouTube
I think for Christmas that guy got a whole load of LSD :D

Offline DCC

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Thanks for the replies guys.

If I buy one - it has to work with Windows and Android. She has a Google Nexus tablet and a windows laptop.

It doesn't have to be ultra hiFi Craig - if you heard the pop music she enjoys you would understand. It does my 'ed in.

I have a SONOS system and love it. Started out with a PLAYBAR and was only okay with the sound so reluctantly added the sub woofer which made a huge difference.  Then later on added a pair of play 3's. 

We control ours from either my Nexus 5 Android phone or my wifes iphone 5 or the IPAD using the SONOS apps no problem.  You can select play music from your device so if you have music files on your apple device or android device you can play them via SONOS.

SONOS not as good for watching Tv but is brilliant for playing music from your device or streaming from the web
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 02:44:25 by DCC »
  • Hyundai Santa Fe

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

Thanks DCC for your endorsement of SONOS.

Yesterday I spent time at John Lewis (Probably the only department store chain in the UK where the assistants in every department know what they are talking about)

They have a separate room from the main store where you can try out audio equipment and I was able to compare SONOS, BOSE, and Bowers & Wilkins WiFi speaker systems.

I'm not an audio anorak but the comparisons were interesting.  Bear in mind that I have to use hearing aids to correct my high frequency loss - people with better hearing may well differ in their opinions.

I was not able to determine any difference between the audio performance of the Bowers & Wilkins and SONOS kit. Both were crystal clear with powerful bass and smooth rather than tinny high notes. The main difference was in the pricing, with SONOS being almost half the price for similar items

BOSE was a disappointment. In most people's minds who use audio for home entertainment rather than a hobby, BOSE have a reputation as being the best. For sure I was impressed with their kit but it lacked the bass power of the others and the sound seemed less crisp and defined. It was also 30% higher priced than SONOS.

So I bought her a SONOS Play 3 - if she wants to add speakers to other rooms - she will have to dip into her pension.  The Play 3 is hidden in the garage away from prying eyes,  hence I cannot help her set it up and try it until Christmas.

At present she has music scattered between her, iPod, windows laptop and Nexus android tablet.  I'm betting I am destined to spend a few hours transferring all her music to the android tablet, which will probably serve as the main controller until she invests in a smartphone. Meanwhile - with SONOS - she can connect to all the other internet sources for streamed and downloadable content.

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
It sounds like you have made a good choice, Alan.   :goodjob:

John Lewis appears to be a good store to try out these types of appliances.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Sounds like you got what you needed Alan :goodjob:

I'm of similar opinion in the Bose results, the home theatre stores here all sell Bose but they wont push them over Yamaha or B&W.

Offline Aussie Keith

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Fitzgibbon, QLD
    • Keith and Joan's Gallery
The Bose reputation is a triumph of marketing. I've had the opportunity to try a few Bose systems at different times and all left me disappointed. Thanks for the Sonos roundup, excellent report.
  • i30 CRDi Elite auto (sleek silver)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
The Bose reputation is a triumph of marketing. I've had the opportunity to try a few Bose systems at different times and all left me disappointed. Thanks for the Sonos roundup, excellent report.

The Panasonic with Bose Speakers stereo in my Calais is good but not great.  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal