Michelin CrossClimate Tyres

MarkC · 15 · 7325

Offline MarkC

• 2nd Gear
  • knobs in silver cars rule ok

• gb United Kingdom
      Warrington, England

• 2013 Sport Nav 1.6 Diesel 128PS in Sleek Silver
I've just had a set of 225/45R17 Michelin Cross Climate all season tyres fitted to the old bus. The promise of a quieter, more economical ride than the standard Hankooks made them appealing, coupled with a good snow/ice driving capability. What I didn't bank on was the transformation of the handling. Its like a different car - very sure-footed and gives more confidence going into bends. Thoroughly recommend these tyres! :goodjob2:

:link: MICHELIN CrossClimate - Arm yourself for every weather condition.
  • i30 Sport Nav

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Thanks Mark, good to hear! :victory:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

• Fylde Coast England 1.4 petrol Comfort
Ta for the info. :)

Could only find a couple of reviews but they look pretty good. Here's one of them -

:link: Michelin CrossClimate Review - The Only Tyre You'll Ever Need? - Jaguar Owners Club UK

If I keep the car I have then I may get some.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: diablo
If I keep the car I have then I may get some.

Based on what I read in that article, me too.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

MOT test coming up early next month so I got my papers out to check up on dates. Noticed that MOT had advisory saying 'all four tyres cracking'.  Not something I'd noticed but I suppose after 6 years they are a bit long in the tooth - and a possible MOT fail would be annoying. :)

Anyway, after digging out this thread and checking some more reviews I've ordered 4 x MICHELIN   CrossClimate   205/55 R16 94V, will be fitted next Wednesday so I'll maybe review in a few weeks time.

Almost hoping for lots of snow next winter.  :scared:   :mrgreen:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Sounds like a good move diablo.  :goodjob:

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

Had the tyres for a few days now and overall impressions are good. I think they are a little quieter than the Hankooks and steering feels a little more 'pointy'. That's probably due to them having a weight code of 94V rather than 91 so presumably they have stiffer sidewalls. Ride over bumpy surfaces doesn't seem any worse though.

One thing I notice is that I often hear stones bouncing around in the wheel-arches, something I didn't notice often with the old tyres. I assume that the wide grooves tend to pick them up.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Combo tyre makes for an interesting tread pattern...

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Doesn't look like tread life is much of a consideration.
But they'd be good in the wet.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline xiziz

• V.I.P

• se Sweden
      Varmland, Sweden
There sold as summer tires here, I'm not even legally allowed to drive with them on in the winter. :P

And yeah, deep wide groves pick up a lot of stones, the drawback of everyone driving winter tires half the year is all the dents, scratches and chips in glass/paint from the gravel picked up and flung into oncoming traffic.

I would not want a all year tire though, the soft compound used to get grip on cold icy roads is useless on dry warm summer roads(Long stopping distance and premature wear).
  • Ioniq Electric MY2019 88kw

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

Well all the reports and tests I've seen say that there is no compromise compared to summer tyres for braking, cornering and wet grip. Plus they match Michelin Alpin 5 winter tyres for grip in snow. Wear isn't supposed to be a problem either - not that that concerns me with my low mileage.

They have been tested by TUV, DEKRA and UTAC according to this report -

:link: Michelin CrossClimate is the first ?summer? tyre that can safely be left on all winter. | Motoring News | Honest John

It doesn't snow a lot every winter here but it does get below 6C quite often and they are better than summer tyres at those temperatures.

At £10 a corner extra I think they are a no-brainer.   :D  Well apart from the stones thing.   :lol:

Offline wbm00

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      West Midlands, UK
At £10 a corner extra I think they are a no-brainer.   :D  Well apart from the stones thing.   :lol:

Remember when cars had flaps behind the rear wheels? Didn't do aerodynamics any favours but did stop stones being thrown up...
  • 2014 i30 GD 1.4i 98ps 6-speed manual

Offline MarkC

• 2nd Gear
  • knobs in silver cars rule ok

• gb United Kingdom
      Warrington, England

• 2013 Sport Nav 1.6 Diesel 128PS in Sleek Silver
Michelin are claiming that these tyres should last just as long as, if not longer than, a standard "dry" road tyre. Witchcraft and new-fangled tyre compounds are behind these claims!  :winker:
  • i30 Sport Nav

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Michelin are claiming that these tyres should last just as long as, if not longer than, a standard "dry" road tyre. Witchcraft and new-fangled tyre compounds are behind these claims!  :winker:
New technology always helps.
But from what I can see of the tread, I'm tippping either excess shoulder wear and/or severe feathering on the shoulders, with an accompanying "worn wheel bearing" noise.
Hopefully the users can keep us posted with some pics at about 10,000 klm intervals.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline diablo

• 5th Gear

• england England
      Blackpool

New technology always helps.
But from what I can see of the tread, I'm tippping either excess shoulder wear and/or severe feathering on the shoulders, with an accompanying "worn wheel bearing" noise.
Hopefully the users can keep us posted with some pics at about 10,000 klm intervals.

Well maybe MarkC can help with that - my reports would be too far apart to be useful.  :)

In a way they do seem too good to be true really, though I read just about everything I could find about them before ordering.  The worst thing I spotted was that sometimes they weren't very good on ice.

Could they be worse on ice than my Hankooks? I dunno, maybe but they maybe much the same. What I do know is that the i30 is much better on ice than my previous car - a Renault Laguna. The Laguna had good tyres but in icy conditions it was very poor. Not as bad as a BMW obviously as  the Laguna was FWD but there were some icy hills it couldn't deal with. The i30 has done well in similar situations - maybe because of ESP/traction control perhaps ?? The Renault weighed more and had fatter tyres which probably didn't help. :)

Did a couple of emergency stop tests tonight, it was 2C and wet, very good performance - seemed the same as if it were dry.   :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 00:50:43 by diablo »

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal