i30 Owners Club

Bad economy on 1.6 CRDi

cleid · 38 · 11812

Offline xiziz

• V.I.P

• se Sweden
      Varmland, Sweden
I know this is a little rusty topic. But.

I just finished a 750km round trip, I almost got bug eyed when I checked the average fuel econ gauge sitting at 5.2l/100km. Usually its at 4.2 and accurate to within .1 compared to my manual figures. I'll know if its true when I next fill her up.

Just wondering if AC on full blast really does such a big difference?

Normally its only me in the car and I use the soft setting and no need for it in the mornings. But we did this trip in +28C with wife, baby and dog in the car, so the AC had to do quite some work.
When I did the same trip solo a few months back with temps around +10C I was around 4.5l/100km, the 120kph motorways use a bit more fuel than the 80kph roads where I live.

AC on this car works top notch though, wife was complaining it was to cold all the way, which is a step up from complaining of heat stroke last summer in the Volvo. :P
  • Ioniq Electric MY2019 88kw

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I suspect it was a combination of extra weight, weather conditions and air con. I've only ever found a very small amount of fuel economy effect with air con.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
As good as the Diesel engine is, you can't expect the same economy when traveling @ 120k's than 80 k's. Wind resistance at increased speed is NOT linear, you were pushing nearly 2X against the wind @ 120 than 80 k's + extra weight and higher AC requirements. I consider that a very good fuel consumption, IMO.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline cleid

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
I'd be happy with those figures. :) Manual or auto?
  • 2013 i30 Tourer 1.6 CRDi 128PS (6spd auto)

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
As good as the Diesel engine is, you can't expect the same economy when traveling @ 120k's than 80 k's. Wind resistance at increased speed is NOT linear, you were pushing nearly 2X against the wind @ 120 than 80 k's + extra weight and higher AC requirements. I consider that a very good fuel consumption, IMO.

I agree with Phil.  A combination of all three increases (AC, weight, speed) would contribute to a decrease in fuel economy.  However, still very good figures!!

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Online The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Yep, Phil put it nicely. In fact (I may be repeating myself), 80 kph is the point at which you go from open window to AC to save fuel, at least on older cars. :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline xiziz

• V.I.P

• se Sweden
      Varmland, Sweden
Since I'm on vacation I'm not driving to much the last week. Had to fill today and did the previous trip on 4.71l/100km so not nearly as bad as the computer would have it. Seems the computer is very unreliable with the summer tires on, with the studded winters she was reading within a deciliter right every time.

Cleid: Manual 6 speed
  • Ioniq Electric MY2019 88kw

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal