i30 Owners Club

FD vs GD CRDi

this guy · 33 · 13357

Offline this guy

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
Hi all,

In my time I have driven 4 CRDi FD hatchbacks, all of them manual. One thing they all had in common was the nice power surge from about 1800 rpm.

Then I went out and bought myself a GD CRDi Manual wagon and one of the first things I noticed was a somewhat subdued power surge. Sure, it's there, but it just doesn't have the same punch that the FD does. I have checked the specs and the weight is similar (according to the brochures 1326 - 1467kg kerb weight GD wagon M/T vs 1399kg FD hatch M/T). GD engine supposedly has 94kW/260Nm vs the FD's 85kW/255Nm. So technically the GD should outperform the FD, but that is just not the case; if I put my foot down then yeah it kind of goes but just feels more subdued and sluggish than the FD. Fuel consumption is on average about 5.3 L/100km around town.

Has anybody else had similar experiences with the GD and FD diesels? Thought I'd ask first before I quibble with a dealer.

Thanks!
  • GD Wagon CRDi 6M/T. Previously 1985 N12 Nissan Pulsar GX, 1963 Holden EJ Special

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Gearing perhaps.  :exclaim:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
:welcum: It think it will improve a bit with some miles up. I had an 08 FD crdi manual which I loved. Only ever had a couple of short drives in GD Crdi manuals, they did feel slightly more subdued, but I put that down to more sound deadening and stuff which sort of made you feel more isolated, if you get my drift. :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline this guy

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
Well it's currently on 25,000kms so if it had anything to do with the engine being run in, then one would assume that would have already passed.

Two out of the 4 FD's I have driven were new: one brand new and the other a demonstrator. The other two were used; they all had the same power surge. I still get opportunities to drive two of the 4 FD's as they belong to family members and I always notice the difference in power between their cars and mine. I don't see how sound deadening would slow a car down. But it's good to read that you also experienced somewhat subdued performance in GD's, maybe there is nothing wrong with mine...

• GD Wagon CRDi 6M/T. Previously 1985 N12 Nissan Pulsar GX, 1963 Holden EJ Special

Offline crayman

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Gympie
Phil's probably onto something with gearing.
The GD would be 6-speed, and your others would have been 5-speeds?
I don't think there's any common gear ratios, even 5th in the GD isn't 1:1.
Seat of pants is always misleading. Best option is to put it on the rollers and then see just how many of those Korean horses are either ponies or dog meat.
  • i-30

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I didn't mean the sound deadening would slow it down. Just make it feel/ sound slower... But reckon the gearing probably more to the point.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.
It's gearing.
My 5 speed FD diesel felt like it had more punch than my GD 6 speed.
I'm pretty sure this has been discussed before some time back and the GD is actually no slower than the FD.
It just feels like it is because of the different gear ratios.
  • Tertius the i30

Offline this guy

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
 :juststopthere:

Not so sure about the gear ratio theory....

Final drive ratio is the same for both FD and GD, being 3.941.

The ratios for 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th are identical between FD and GD, being: 1st 3.636, 2nd 1.962, 3rd 1.189, 4th 0.844.

Where the FD and GD part ways is 5th and 6th where the FD's 5th and final ratio is 0.660, whereas the GD's 5th is 0.702 and then 6th 0.596.

Thus, it is not gearing therefore must be something else....

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Hmm, I know this is not a Hyundai site, but according to this there's diffence between FD 6 speed and GD 6 speed.

The site is a comparison site for towcar's performance:  :link: Outfit Matching Car and Caravan

• i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline this guy

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
Interesting specs there, however the FD gearboxes that I have driven were all 5 speeders. But I don't know, I would be more inclined to trust the specs off of the official Hyundai brochures which state that the diff ratio, the first 4 gear ratios (where the bulk of the acceleration is done) and the wheel size are all identical between the FD and GD.

Anyhow, I get the same RPM for example when driving the FD 60km/h in 4th, as I do when driving the GD 60km/h in 4th.

I guess I'll just have to get the dealer to check that there is nothing untoward and leave it at that, or indeed test drive another GD CRDi for comparison....oh wait....it'll be an auto. Apples with apples...

Offline XinZhao

• 3rd Gear

• hr Croatia
Maybe those fd-s dont get Dpf? I guess it is too small of a difference to notice but anyway..
  • i30 1.6 CRDi 66kW with DPF, made 2011. in Czech

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Maybe those fd-s dont get Dpf? I guess it is too small of a difference to notice but anyway..

In Australia, neither the FD or GD Diesel has a DPF.  :happydance:

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
My partner and I have an FD and GD and always comment that the FD feels more powerful, while the GD feels like it is progressive in power delivery.

The FD diesel feels a bit rougher than the GD
  • 05 Hyundai Elantra Elite 5spd 2.0 Petrol, Black Sedan

Offline this guy

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
My partner and I have an FD and GD and always comment that the FD feels more powerful, while the GD feels like it is progressive in power delivery.

The FD diesel feels a bit rougher than the GD

I agree, getting into the GD for the first time after driving around in FD's I immedaitely noticed how smooth and creamy the drive was compared to the FD; lower engine vibration, quieter, smoother and easier gear shift, and certainly much better suspension. Also much more comfortable.

Anyway it seems like a few people have commented about how GD's feel more gutless than FD's, so it's beginning to look like there may be nothing wrong with mine afterall. Perhaps GD's have a more mellow turbo that doesn't deliver the power in one big lump or something, don't know.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 11:56:53 by mb »

Offline XinZhao

• 3rd Gear

• hr Croatia
Does gd have dualmass flywheel? Maybe this is the reason for lower vibrations.. (I read somewhere that fd has single which made me happy because I hear lots of people have problems with dual mass flywheels)
  • i30 1.6 CRDi 66kW with DPF, made 2011. in Czech

Offline this guy

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
Does gd have dualmass flywheel? Maybe this is the reason for lower vibrations.. (I read somewhere that fd has single which made me happy because I hear lots of people have problems with dual mass flywheels)

I hope it doesn't! Otherwise I don't want it anymore :/

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I doubt it! I don't think the difference is THAT significant. Probably just a bit more sound proofing and stiffer body construction.

Even our top rated tech, Cruiserfied can't confirm either way, but hasn't come across one. :cool:

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria
I think the improvements to the GD being more refined has more to do with smaller enhancements like engine mounts which look different to the ones on the FD.

I only tow with our FD. It would be happy interesting to see how different the GD would be to drive with a tonne being towed behind it

Offline this guy

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
I only tow with our FD. It would be happy interesting to see how different the GD would be to drive with a tonne being towed behind it

Well according to the official engine power specs, it should be a little bit easier with a GD  :whistler:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Maybe not, with the GD having a higher top gear, it may mean having to change gears more often...  :undecided:

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Maybe not, with the GD having a higher top gear, it may mean having to change gears more often...  :undecided:

It just means you won't use 6th gear much when towing. In 5th gear it will do ca 90 km/h @ 1900 revs according to :link: Outfit Matching Car and Caravan

Can anyone with a GD CRDI confirm that..?
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline this guy

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide

It just means you won't use 6th gear much when towing. In 5th gear it will do ca 90 km/h @ 1900 revs according to :link: Outfit Matching Car and Caravan

I found this website to be particularly useful :link: gear ratio/speed/rpm calculator

Under 'Find RPM' just enter the diff ratio, gear ratio, tyre diameter and road speed and it will give you the engine RPM. The diameter of an i30 tyre is 631.9mm (see tyre calculator http://www.exploroz.com/Vehicle/Tyres/SizeCalc.aspx). Putting in GD CRDi M/T specs, it gave me 2101 rpm @ 90km/h in 5th.

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

If I remember when I go out in the car I'll check it.   :)
  • Tertius the i30

Offline hampster1958

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Hammy Hampster
Hi there, I have a2012 FD 6 speed manual diesel an a 2014 GD auto diesel. I agree the GD was a bit like a dog, what was worse, I have put a Racechip into the FD,   Like a slingshot...so I took out the chip for a comparison.....the GD was still lacking in get up and go. The only answer was to put a chip I the GD, the wife won't let me take it out. Now both of the i30 have chips......the daughters i30 is petrol and she a wee bit peeved.

I replied to an old question about chips if you want other info. Did a run up the coast today in the GD with the cruise set at 110kph and returned a consumption of 5.1 l/100km and took to the hill of the. M1 easily.

Hampster1958
  • 2012 FD i30 SLX 1.6 lt CRDi,2012 FD i30 SLX 2.0 SLX,2014 GD I30 Premium CRDi

Offline elantraelite

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne, Victoria

Well according to the official engine power specs, it should be a little bit easier with a GD  :whistler:
Depends, power doesnt really matter too much when towing and climbing hills.

I found keeping the engine around 2,500rpm will climb almost anything with a few steep inclines requiring a push to 3,000rpm

Offline this guy

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide

I doubt it! I don't think the difference is THAT significant. Probably just a bit more sound proofing and stiffer body construction.

Even our top rated tech, Cruiserfied can't confirm either way, but hasn't come across one. :cool:

This is what I got from Hyundai after asking them via their Hyundai Worldwide website whether the 1.6 CRDi in the GD has a dual mass flywheel (and providing my VIN to be sure):

"We can confirm that your vehicle does NOT have a Dual Mass Flywheel."

:happydance:

Offline 001steve

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
I know with our fd its awesome on fuel with 100thou plus ks now
but really it started to  bed in around 120thou consistent 4.1 to 4.5 l per 100kms...
However after all the drama ive had with hyundai I will no longer recommend one to anyone. Its not Holden Craptiva Bad, just accumulative annoying things.

Ive had My Fj cruiser since 2012 (i know its built for different purposes) But its worked at the very least 10X  harder than the babied i30 and hasnt had one single issue, never missed a beat! actually i hit a bat once at speed and blew low beam bulb and the dealer changed it under warranty for free. but thats it.

I started writing every tiny issue on the back page of the manual when i bought the i30 and gave up after i ran out of room, and almost like clockwork when the warranty ran out little things starrted to go wrong even more regularly with the i30. front Tyre wear, chrome peeling off unused door handles, trim pieces falling off or rattling, bulbs CONSTANTLY blowing, Strange vibrations, strange random battery drains, clutch issues, crappy warranty service etc etc etc :( :confused: :neutral: :sad:
  • 2010 fd i30 crdi 5 Spd Man.

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: 001steve
... front Tyre wear, chrome peeling off unused door handles, trim pieces falling off or rattling, bulbs CONSTANTLY blowing, Strange vibrations, strange random battery drains, clutch issues, crappy warranty service ...

Other than that it's all ok, yes?  :faint:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Sad to hear 001 steve 😢

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

Should've bought a GD.   ;)   :P
  • Tertius the i30

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal