i30 Owners Club

Installing Reversing Camera in 2011 i30

mjt57 · 7 · 7583

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria
My wife wants me to install a reversing camera in the i30.

Had a look at a few today, but the ones which we looked at had huge cameras. Well, the looked huge. It'd stick out like dogs' balls on the back of the car.

I'd like to hear from anyone here who's installed one on their i30 (preferably the same model as mine - I don't know if there are any significant differences between mine and later models which may or may not affect the installation). Which camera setup did you use, how its cabling was run, etc..

The one that we looked at relies on external power from a taillight or something like that, but has wireless connection back to the screen.

Personally, I'd love to be able to replace the radio unit but with many of its functions integrated into the steering wheel controls that may not be possible. So I'm looking at a unit which would look like a GPS, Tomtom or whatever, and is affixed to the dash via suction cup and powered from the cigarette lighter. May look messy but short of major surgery I'm not sure how else to do it.

Thanks.
  • 2014 Hyndai ix35 Highlander TD/2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
This is what I had installed in mine :link: SmartView RVM Premium Reversing Camera Combo | The Car Kit Company

And cameras to suit :link: Reversing Cameras - Camera Systems | The Car Kit Company

It was wired into power of the rear left reverse light then the cables were all run underneath the carpet down the left side and under the dash where they were joined with the revision mirror cabling that was run down the left side front pillar under the dash.

I'm not sure of the rear on the FD but on the GD the camera is underneath the rear bumper lip just above the license plate where the cable comes out of a gap in the number plate light, there is also a flush camera option if you'd like to mount the camera directly into the bumper though it's difficult to get the correct angle with a flush mounted camera.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 12:00:53 by CraigB »

Offline eXDee

• 2nd Gear

• nz New Zealand
This is what I had installed in mine :link: SmartView RVM Premium Reversing Camera Combo | The Car Kit Company
This mirror looks very similar to the electrochromatic dimming mirror in my vehicle, and even more similar to the one in the ix35/Tucson that performs the dimming function and has a camera integrated.

I thought i'd have a look at the difference between a 2009 i30 FD and a 2011 ix35 which adds the camera.

They appear to be Gentex (GNTX) products.

Here are the photos:
:link: Hyundai Rear View Mirror - Album on Imgur

The i30 has a 026002 GNTX-458-2. Googling this shows that this part has also been used on the Santa Fe and other car brands. However some mentions of that part appear to have a 7 segment display for compass direction or temperature.

The ix35 one with camera built in is an 026537 GNTX-957. I can see that this part is much more popular and used on a wider range of brands. So if you could get all the wiring to match, in theory you could do an upgrade/transplant to a genuine OEM part that Hyundai uses on other vehicles - unsure if the FD ever came with a reversing camera setup like this.

Looking on ebay you can see you can buy an entire kit, though pricey:
:link: NEW Gentex 957 Backup Camera Mirror With NEW Backup Camera Installation KIT | eBay

Has anyone ever looked into this?
  • 2009 i30cw CRDi Elite

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
This mirror looks very similar to the electrochromatic dimming mirror in my vehicle, and even more similar to the one in the ix35/Tucson that performs the dimming function and has a camera integrated.

I thought i'd have a look at the difference between a 2009 i30 FD and a 2011 ix35 which adds the camera.

They appear to be Gentex (GNTX) products.

Here are the photos:
:link: Hyundai Rear View Mirror - Album on Imgur

The i30 has a 026002 GNTX-458-2. Googling this shows that this part has also been used on the Santa Fe and other car brands. However some mentions of that part appear to have a 7 segment display for compass direction or temperature.

The ix35 one with camera built in is an 026537 GNTX-957. I can see that this part is much more popular and used on a wider range of brands. So if you could get all the wiring to match, in theory you could do an upgrade/transplant to a genuine OEM part that Hyundai uses on other vehicles - unsure if the FD ever came with a reversing camera setup like this.

Looking on ebay you can see you can buy an entire kit, though pricey:
:link: NEW Gentex 957 Backup Camera Mirror With NEW Backup Camera Installation KIT | eBay

Has anyone ever looked into this?
The auto dimming mirror you have is probably this one :link: SmartView RVM-OEM-AD Premium Reversing Camera Combo | The Car Kit Company

With cars that come from the factory without rearview cameras the ones at The Car kit company are usually the same ones the dealers will have fitted for you, they did have the inbuilt camera version several months ago but reliability was a concern so they were dropped.

The model I have has plugin options for Temp - Altitude and GPS I think...I cant remember :undecided:

Offline mjt57

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Country Victoria
Thanks everyone. Lots of useful information to soak up.

Cheers
  • 2014 Hyndai ix35 Highlander TD/2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Offline eXDee

• 2nd Gear

• nz New Zealand
With cars that come from the factory without rearview cameras the ones at The Car kit company are usually the same ones the dealers will have fitted for you, they did have the inbuilt camera version several months ago but reliability was a concern so they were dropped.

The model I have has plugin options for Temp - Altitude and GPS I think...I cant remember :undecided:
You're right, mine looks identical to that. Mine isn't aftermarket and neither is the one in the ix35. Both are NZ New Elite (Comfort/SLX) models - ie not foreign imports if you're familiar with how that typically works in NZ. As i understand it we get the same car models as Australia gets, and my VIN indicates it's intended for the Australian market (so has the firm suspension to match). Also i'm sure you figured it out but by camera built in i meant the video display for the camera.

It seems that SmartView company is using Gentex products and putting their name on them?  Does yours have a GNTX model code on the rear?
  • 2009 i30cw CRDi Elite

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Does yours have a GNTX model code on the rear?
No

I wasn't exactly sure what you meant by built in camera as one of their older model mirrors also had built in forward facing dash cam.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal