i30 Owners Club

EPS, ESP OFF lights on and heavy stearing

Offline chrisnka

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Huddersfield
Hi all,

Have an i30 09 plate wit the above issue, the garage I bought it from are replacing the steering column (with a 2nd hand one I imagine) I'm just wondering if anyone knows if this will be the cure and also what calibrations need to be done so I can then ask (make sure) the job has been done correctly as it's not an official hyundai garage. More so worried that the fault will re  appear as it's happened 2 in 2 days after supposedly being fixed the first time. Travelling to Scotland in a week and the wife will be driving, if the power steering fails on the motorway I'm worried she won't be able to steer, we have a 3 year old in the car. I guess I'm looking for some comfort that this should work.

Thanks again

Chris
  • 2009 Hyundai i30 1.6 Comfort CRDI

Offline chrisnka

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Huddersfield
I called hyundai today who told me there has been 2 recalls done on the car in April this year, She said the steering fault was one of them. I asked if there was some sort of warranty with the repair as it's faulty again, told me to speak to the garage, called them and checked, said best thing to do is deal with the garage I got the car from who will sort it as it may not be something from the work they carried out and then I would be responsible for the bill so that's what I've done.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
 :welcumwagon: chrisnka,

I can certainly understand your concerns. All I can suggest is you give it a thorough test drive on varied roads before your Wife sets off with child on board.

All down to the skills of the workshop. Not a small job swapping the steering column. I would be tempted to mark the existing steering column under the bonnet with tippex or something so you know if actually changed..  :idea:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline chrisnka

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Huddersfield
I think that's the best thing to do. I will make sure it's all feels correct and go from there, unfortunately the garage already has the car so can't mark it up now, we will just have to trust him I suppose, we have asked for receipts for the work so we can log it also. I'm hoping this will fix it, as I say we do really like the i30's and want to keep it, if we got our money back and bought another we could have the same issue so I think we are best holding out in this been resolved.

Thanks again for your help

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
No problems, what you say is true. You have a good attitude. :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline chrisnka

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Huddersfield
Well we have the car back today, so far so good(fingers crossed) steering is better, no lights, less feedback on the steering wheel also (vibrations) love been back it after being in a C1 for the past week :)

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal