i30 Owners Club

Trouble starting first thing in the morning

Offline Scooby_Doo

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I have a couple of issues with my 2011 UK i30 Estate (CW?) 1.6 CRDi (I'm sure it's the Comfort model but I haven't checked!). One is a starting issue, the other is with the door, which I'll create a seperate thread for.

Anyway, around February this year I noticed that on the first start of the day, the engine wouldn't start first time. I'd put the key in, wait for most of the lights to go out, then turn the key, but whilst it was trying, it wouldn't start. If I turned the key back to the original position, it would then start no problem on the second attempt, and on every other start that day.

I've since found that if I hold the key for around 3 to 4 seconds on first start, it will start, but it feels like too long a time to start. A new issue has now developed, whereby the car will start, and flutter between 800 and 1000 rpm on idle. If I try to drive away, the car has no power, and I have to kill the engine and restart. There are then no further issues that day.

I'm looking for some help, as although the car went out of warranty in April, I reported the issue to the local dealer before it went in for it's service in March. They couldn't reproduce as they didn't have the car overnight, and suggested I brought it back down to leave overnight. I've since been busy with other things, and when I called to book it in in April, they told me it would be chargeable as the car was now out of warranty. Over the phone they suggested it might be glow plugs, and it would be approximately £200 to resolve. Apparently this was a goodwill gesture as it would otherwise be £300!!

*EDIT* My other issue seems to be well covered - I can't open the drivers door from the inside, so it appears that the cable has snapped. Again, the dealer isn't interested as the car is out of warranty and wants a minimum of £100 plus parts to even look at it, less than a week out of warranty. So as soon as the calendar strikes five years, my car develops £300+ worth of problems. Lovely.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 10:07:07 by Scooby_Doo »
  • 2011 FD 5 Door Estate, Diesel 1.6lt, White

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Yeah sounds like the old glowies are stuffed.

Less than £40 from ebay

:link: HEATER GLOW PLUGS FITS HYUNDAI I30 TRAJET ELANTRA TUCSON 2.0 CRDI CRTD X4 NEW | eBay
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Scooby _Doo and  :welcumwagon:

Yep, not good timing but with our help hopefully you can limit the cost.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

as although the car went out of warranty in April, I reported the issue to the local dealer before it went in for it's service in March. They couldn't reproduce as they didn't have the car overnight, and suggested I brought it back down to leave overnight.

My understanding is if you reported a warranty issue prior to expiry and has not been resolved then that is still outstanding.

may be worth checking with HY UK to get their take on this.

My other issue seems to be well covered - I can't open the drivers door from the inside, so it appears that the cable has snapped.

Think this may be subject to a recall.

Again worth checking with HY UK.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
As you raised this matter before warranty expired, they should, as a goodwill gesture, help with the cost, provided you have had your car regularly serviced there. Perhaps only charge labour.

Does your car emit smoke on 1st startup  :question:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Scooby_Doo

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Thanks for the quick replies folks!  :goodjob2:

My understanding is if you reported a warranty issue prior to expiry and has not been resolved then that is still outstanding.

may be worth checking with HY UK to get their take on this.

That is my understanding as well, but the dealer disagreed. They offered to only charge one hour labour instead of two, which was the best they could do, apparently.

Think this may be subject to a recall.

Again worth checking with HY UK.

I have contacted them via e-mail - I'll see the response and follow up on the phone if not satisfactory. If it turns out the cable was subject to recall, the dealer will get a visit as we've had the car three years and it's been serviced with them every year. At that point the potential glow plug issue will be raised again.

Phil - I haven't noticed smoke on startup but I'll check next time.

Offline martyni30

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Somerset
I've recently had the same problem that when mine fired up it was lumpy and wouldn't rev.I went to the dealer and they changed the glow plugs,ran fine for a bit then the other day it started over again except this time the MIL light started flashing so it went back to the dealership they plugged it in the laptop and it came up with an EGR valve code so they changed the EGR unit and touch wood so far starts and run better than before.
  • 2011 i30 1.6crdi tourer

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

>except this time the MIL light started flashing<

The Mother In Law Light???  :confused:

Not usually much light there..  :whistler: :crazy1: :rofl:

Offline Scooby_Doo

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Short update on the door - Hyundai UK called to tell me there were no outstanding recalls on my car.

It was a voicemail, so I didn't get clarification if that meant the door cable wasn't covered, or just that there was no warranty work left to do.

At least I'm going to learn how to fix a door cable! :-)

Offline Scooby_Doo

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Another wee update - got the door cable and will attempt to fit this week. My dealer (which is 15 miles away) has a Seat franchise right across the street from me, and they've now started covering Hyundai. As a result, the parts guy was just getting to know the Hyundai catalogue, but I was able to give him the part number I got here and get it delivered. Oddly though, despite the cable appearing in the blown up diagram, the system claimed it didn't fit my car. This may explain why some folks couldn't get the part from their dealer.

Next question - how difficult is it to change the glow plugs - I'm struggling to even find them!

Is it possible to find workshop manuals for these cars?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I don't think it is difficult with the right tool. Think they are buried deep in the motor. I reckon if you search you tube there would be plenty of how to's.... :goodjob:

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
There was an instance mentioned here about a glow plug disintegrating when trying to remove it. It was at a dealership I think and not easy to resolve. Be aware  :exclaim:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Next question - how difficult is it to change the glow plugs - I'm struggling to even find them!

Not very difficult. They're located on the rear of the engine, facing towards the cabin. There's a metal "bridge" connecting all 4 of them, it's important you get that one mounted correct and not touching the engine.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal