i30 Owners Club

Xenon Halogen bulb replacement

CraigB · 34 · 9117

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
As I was discussing these new bulb types in another topic which I haven't heard much about so I thought I'd give them a test, purchased a pair this morning from Germany as I don't trust the cheap Chinese one's  :rolleyes: they should be here in the week so I'll update you all on the results. :link: H7 Xenon Effect 6000K 55W Halogen Lamp Light Bulbs Mercedes W168 W202 W210 W211 | eBay

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Sadly, any coating on the glass will reduce light output. Coloured coatings are a waste of time IMO.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I've got Philips White vision 4300k bulbs in now which are ice blue tinted and 30% brighter than standard bulbs, the new ones should be as bright or even brighter due to the Xenon gas, I'll know for sure when I test them :)

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I'd like to see how many hours they last (mtbf).

But not wishing to be outdone, I just ordered a similar pair:

:link: Xenon White H7 Halogen Bulbs 6000k (PAIR) 477 64210 | eBay
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I'd like to see how many hours they last (mtbf).

But not wishing to be outdone, I just ordered a similar pair:

:link: Xenon White H7 Halogen Bulbs 6000k (PAIR) 477 64210 | eBay
The reports I've read on them is they should outlast standard Halogens because the Xenon gas keeps a lower temperature at the same time as providing a whiter and brighter light, we'll know first hand soon enough :D

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I'm very interested in some too (pretty sure my Calais takes H7) :D
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I ordered a set the same as you Craig. If they don't fit my car for some reason they should fit Trish's.

Considering these for my high beam...

:link: 40W H9 6000K LED Light Bulb KIT TO Suit Holden VF Commodore High Beam Headlights | eBay

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I ordered a set the same as you Craig. If they don't fit my car for some reason they should fit Trish's.

Considering these for my high beam...

:link: 40W H9 6000K LED Light Bulb KIT TO Suit Holden VF Commodore High Beam Headlights | eBay
:goodjob:
The LED's look good too, 40w I think should be around 4500lm per bulb so will be very bright :goodjob: I'd like LED's for mine but they simply wont fit behind the dust caps unless I modify them but I'm not really wanting to do that...I'd probably make a mess of it :whistler:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:drinks: Craig.

Offline AleM

• 2nd Gear

• es Spain
      Malaga
That bulbs are not better than uncoloured. Maybe this have a little percent of Xenon, but it doesn't make the difference. It is just Xenon effect (cause cold light).

And I don't think Xenon helps to reduce the temperature due to the glass of the bulb and the lens evacuation capability.

I proved a bulb blued (xenon effect) and the light wasn't bright.
  • 2013 GD 5 Door Hatch, Diesel 1.6lt (110CV/81KW), Manual, Steel gray

Offline AleM

• 2nd Gear

• es Spain
      Malaga
By the way, LED bulbs are not a good idea. The car's lens are not prepared to the reflection of a LED bulb, though the LED has 5000lumens, our lens will not reflect all the light, and probably we will dazzle too much

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

By the way, LED bulbs are not a good idea. The car's lens are not prepared to the reflection of a LED bulb, though the LED has 5000lumens, our lens will not reflect all the light, and probably we will dazzle too much
Thanks I would do more research before I went that way...

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
That bulbs are not better than uncoloured. Maybe this have a little percent of Xenon, but it doesn't make the difference. It is just Xenon effect (cause cold light).

And I don't think Xenon helps to reduce the temperature due to the glass of the bulb and the lens evacuation capability.

If you do some research on Xenon gas charged bulbs you'll see many references to the longevity of the bulbs due to running cooler with the Xenon gas, I'll see first hand how good or bad they are soon enough when the bulbs arrive :)
All depends on the quality of LED bulbs purchased, if they're 270 degrees + light throw with a capped end then they'll work fine, plenty of friends have installed similar to the one's Dazzler is ordering and they work very well.
The LED's shown there are high beam only so "dazzling" oncoming drivers isn't really a concern as high beams get turned off.

There was another member not long ago who replaced their standard lights with the LED's and was very pleased with the outcome also.

Offline AleM

• 2nd Gear

• es Spain
      Malaga

If you do some research on Xenon gas charged bulbs you'll see many references to the longevity of the bulbs due to running cooler with the Xenon gas, I'll see first hand how good or bad they are soon enough when the bulbs arrive :)
All depends on the quality of LED bulbs purchased, if they're 270 degrees + light throw with a capped end then they'll work fine, plenty of friends have installed similar to the one's Dazzler is ordering and they work very well.
The LED's shown there are high beam only so "dazzling" oncoming drivers isn't really a concern as high beams get turned off.

There was another member not long ago who replaced their standard lights with the LED's and was very pleased with the outcome also.
But... that bulbs are not Xenon gas. Real Xenon bulbs have a different way to work, need too much voltage to work and start and the form is different.
I agree the Xenon bulbs are better than conventional, but the bulbs of the image are coloureds conventional bulbs

The name "Xenon" in this bulbs are purely commercial I think.

Also, the temperature depends too of the bulbs power, Xenon bulbs usually are 35W, conventional bulbs usually are 55W. And if you see the image, that are 55W, so it surely will reach high temperature (like a conventional, it is what it is)

I add, that bulb fit in the original H7 socket, so it has not a converter/transformer (i don't know the name in english) to reach the voltage necessary, simply it works to 12V, impossible for a Xenon bulb

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I'm no expert regarding bulbs, but I'v e been told and it seems to make sense that any coloured coating on the glass of a bulb must reduce it's intensity due to the photons inability to completely pass through the glass.

Xenon bulbs are pressurised at a higher pressure, enabling a hotter filament temperature and therefore a whiter light. The increased pressure allows greater heat conduction to the glass. Just sayin'.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
But... that bulbs are not Xenon gas.
The bulbs are Xenon gas filled, they're a new hybrid bulb I've noticed coming into the market over the last year or so.

The Xenon gas is one of the reasons they can put out 6000k and above without needing a very dark blue coating as with the standard Halogen's.

The Philips White light bulbs I'm using currently also have the blue coating and are 30% brighter than standard, these new Xenon/Halogen bulbs are exactly the same as the Philips though with a different gas which allows the whiter light.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 10:49:24 by CraigB »

Offline Cluster2

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide, SA
The filler gas, whether it's xenon or plain old argon, makes little difference to the brightness of the light bulb.  All xenon does is allow the filament to run a little hotter, but the xenon itself in a halogen H4 or H7 light bulb does not produce light.  If the actual temperature of the light was 6000K then the filament would need to run at that temp, meaning the tungsten wire would melt within a fraction of a second.  As a test, I once purchased an OSRAM brand H4 that claimed to be filled with xenon gas for "extra brightness".  Compared to the old H4 next to it, it was a little brighter, but still looked like a bog standard 3000K light.

I'm afraid there's only one way to get true 6000K light: pay for a proper 6000K HID upgrade.  Only problem is it won't be road legal in an i30 in Australia as the vehicle won't have all the associated headlight leveling hardware, nor will it have the correct optics under ADR.

No matter how many times the manufacturer writes "Xenon" and "HID" on the packaging, it won't turn a filament light bulb into something it cannot possibly be.
  • i30 GD4 Active 1.6 CDRi 7 speed DCT

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I'll know soon enough what they're like, should be any day now.

I'll compare them against the Philips 4300k White Light bulbs I'm running now and a set of Philips 6000k HID bulbs I have on order as well :D

Offline AleM

• 2nd Gear

• es Spain
      Malaga
I bet that if that bulbs are brighter than original H7, then it will crash very soon (short life).

I keep saying the same, the 6000K in that bulbs is because the coloured crystal, real Xenon works different way.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I bet that if that bulbs are brighter than original H7, then it will crash very soon (short life).

I keep saying the same, the 6000K in that bulbs is because the coloured crystal, real Xenon works different way.
Read reply 15

Offline AleM

• 2nd Gear

• es Spain
      Malaga

Read reply 15
I did it some time ago.
I don't know if it is true the higher pressure capability in a conventional bulb. I think max pressure is determined by glass specs (resistance).

And dissipation doesn't matter, the bulb power is 55W, so... the brightness won't be higher.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
And dissipation doesn't matter, the bulb power is 55W, so... the brightness won't be higher.
It's amazing then how my current Philips bulbs are 30% brighter than the standard one's then :) you can also get most halogen brands with different brightness levels up to 120% over standard.

All the Xenon gas does is allow for a whiter light combined with a tinted bulb ( supposedly give longer lifetime as well :undecided: ) , brightness is determined by the filament used.

Offline AleM

• 2nd Gear

• es Spain
      Malaga
I mean that the power is the same, dissipation will be for 55W. Tinted glass is totally opposite, it difficults the dissipation.

Obviously the filament matters, but the same bulb coloured will be worse (in brightness or lifetime, or probably both) than its equivalent uncoloured.

I will wait for your opinion when it are mounted

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I mean that the power is the same, dissipation will be for 55W. Tinted glass is totally opposite, it difficults the dissipation.

Obviously the filament matters, but the same bulb coloured will be worse (in brightness or lifetime, or probably both) than its equivalent uncoloured.

I will wait for your opinion when it are mounted
As I have mentioned already...I currently have tinted bulbs installed now and they are 30% brighter than standard Halogens, the only difference with these new ones being delivered is the Xenon gas.

Offline AleM

• 2nd Gear

• es Spain
      Malaga
30% brighter than standard? Have you proved that or you trust in commercial words? Can I see a comparison in your vehicle standard/xenon?Since when you have the bulbs installed?

Can you measure that with a luxometer?there are photos?

Really, if it is true, please, tell me what model are the bulbs, I will buy right now, I'm very interested.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
30% brighter than standard? Have you proved that or you trust in commercial words? Can I see a comparison in your vehicle standard/xenon?Since when you have the bulbs installed?

Can you measure that with a luxometer?there are photos?

Really, if it is true, please, tell me what model are the bulbs, I will buy right now, I'm very interested.
You are clearly failing to read what has already been stated, I've already said quite a few times that these "Philips White Vision bulbs" are installed currently and are much brighter than standard Halogen bulbs.

You can view the Philips website for further details and many sellers on Ebay have them eg :link: H7 Philips White Vision 4300K Genuine Light Bulb Globe 2FREE W5W 12972WHVSM | eBay

Here's some 120% brighter bulbs if you want even more light :link: Narva H7 120 Halogen Light Bulbs Headlight Globes 48366BL2 NEW 12V Plus 120 | eBay

« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 14:28:13 by CraigB »

Offline AleM

• 2nd Gear

• es Spain
      Malaga
And if you compare that with Philips X-treme Vision 130% (very similar but untinted) this one should bright more than coloured.

Also Philips White Vision are partially tinted and is a colour lighter?clear? (My english fails).
The new ones looks too much intenses coloured and full tinted.

But doesn't matter, soon you will be able to prove and tell us the result

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
And if you compare that with Philips X-treme Vision 130% (very similar but untinted) this one should bright more than coloured.

Also Philips White Vision are partially tinted and is a colour lighter?clear? (My english fails).
The new ones looks too much intenses coloured and full tinted.

But doesn't matter, soon you will be able to prove and tell us the result
Extreme Vision Plus 130 are similar to the Narva 120's I linked earlier, their colour is more yellow like standard bulbs at 3700k though they don't last as long due to their output strength.

White Vision bulbs are 4300k so more whiter/lighter with a 30% increase light output over standard bulbs and last roughly the same time.

The new one's on order are 6000k so whiter again with a blue tint with 30% increase over standard.

Lets hope I don't have to repeat this another time :whistler:

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
The bulbs finally turned up today :happydance: I had to laugh as I bought them from Germany trying to evade Chinese products... I opened the package and they're still made in China :p they seem good quality though.

The label states Xenon gas charged

They also look whiter ( doesn't show up well in the photo ) than the 4300k Philips bulbs I'm currently using and still light up the road equally as good over distance but easier to see with a more crisp light I feel

The picture below shows the new bulb in the passenger side (left), not quite as white as the 6000k LED park lights but whiter than the other drivers side headlight at 4300k

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

:goodjob:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal