i30 Owners Club

Boot organiser/false floor?

WayneD · 3 · 2409

Offline WayneD

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane
While helping a work mate build draws for the back of his 4wd for his upcoming trip I thought to myself, I could use this in the i30. I fish and kayak a lot and always have tonnes of stuff in the back which is always rolling around and clanging together. So my question is has anyone ever made a false floor in the i30 for storage? I am thinking a board on the floor with a cut out and hinge on it for access to the spare wheel, some supports that will also double as separate compartments and another board on top hinged once again. Finish it off with carpet and Robert's your mum's brother. The new floor will be flush with the boot lock and everything will be nice and tidy.

Sounds easy right? I'm sure it's not but I'm going to give it a crack. One problem I can see straight away is the kids seat that I need in the car but an extensions strap should fix that easily enough. Another one is that the bottom of the boot is wider than the top so getting the whole thing to fit neatly will require it be built in two pieces and not just one complete unit.
  • 2012 i30 CRDi The Yakster Mobile

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
My little 3dr already has a false floor/storage area, it might give you some ideas.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Sounds like a nice idea Wayne, but you will need to find some strong but light materials. Maybe corflute for the lid? With carpet glued to it, should be strong enough.  :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal