i30 Owners Club

Issue - rear suspension has collapsed?!

dammit · 16 · 6551

Offline dammit

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Surry Hills, NSW
I have an i30 (FD Trophy 2012 Hatch) Petrol 2.0L.

Today I was checking the tyre pressure and I have noticed the gap above the rear drivers side tyre, is about 2cm from the top of the tyre to the car body.

Yet on the other side, it is closed to 7cm.

Surely this should be symettrical...and I have never noticed this before...it's as though the suspension has broken???

See photos comparing passenger and drivers side. Any ideas what the problem could be...? Would this be a warranty job?

I checked and there has been no mistake with the tyre size, both tyre size is the same..

• i30 2012 Trophy

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Most likely the spring has broke..
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Are you parked on level ground with the front wheels straight? if so then possibly a spring mount has broken free or the spring itself has collapsed though that would be highly unusual unless some very heavy loads have been transported :undecided:

Offline dammit

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Surry Hills, NSW
How can that happen?? It must be defective??

Should I get the jack out and look underneath with a torch...I would be able to tell if it had completely cracked through doing that right?

Yep was parked on level ground with wheels straight. and no heavy loads except a 100kg kayak on a trailer...but my towbar is rated to 10x that figure!
  • i30 2012 Trophy

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
If it has cracked or compressed then that would be a defective product and should be covered under warranty.

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
How can that happen?? It must be defective??

Should I get the jack out and look underneath with a torch...I would be able to tell if it had completely cracked through doing that right?

Yep was parked on level ground with wheels straight. and no heavy loads except a 100kg kayak on a trailer...but my towbar is rated to 10x that figure!

Fatigue.

You should be able to see where it's broken if you take a look from the rear, alternatively remove the wheel.  I guess it would be covered by the warranty.

Remember the spring is metal "moving/working" every time you drive the car. A broken spring happens now and then...
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Why not take it to peddars or some other  suspension place for a free or fixed priced inpection/report. Dont point out the problem just say you want a general check of your suspension components. Then make a decision what to do based on that report and feedback about the report from us.

I would assume if there is a major fault/break there would be noise and other symptoms?
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
Not necessarily any noise because of a broken spring, however, it would be a very good idea to get it inspected asap as the tip of the spring, where broken, can be located in a way that it ruin the tyre.

EDIT: the part about the spring ruining the tyre is most likely only to happen in the front where the spring is located much closer to the tyre.
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Why not take it to peddars or some other  suspension place for a free or fixed priced inpection/report. Dont point out the problem just say you want a general check of your suspension components. Then make a decision what to do based on that report and feedback about the report from us.

I would assume if there is a major fault/break there would be noise and other symptoms?

From my experience they would point out every fault but what you are looking for. 

Take it to a mechanic of Hyundai if still under warranty.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

From my experience they would point out every fault but what you are looking for. 

Take it to a mechanic of Hyundai if still under warranty.

I'll bow to your greater experience. I've never kept a car long enough to need that sort of work...  :crazy1:

Offline dammit

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Surry Hills, NSW
I went and parked in a proper carpark today instead of just looking at the car on the street (which was potentially not flat) and with the front wheels dead straight as CraigB mentioned. Crawled underneath with my torch and compared drivers and passenger rear sides. Now, under this circumstance the difference in symmetry is only about 0.5-1cm....  :exclaim:

Could not notice a crack or break in the spring although it was difficult to see the whole thing from obstruction and awkward angle. Maybe I have over reacted and the difference before was due to the flat surface and/or wheels not dead straight. I will get mechanic to check it out but maybe it's not as worrying as I first thought - unless it has magically risen itself back up to where it should be overnight!  :crazy1:
  • i30 2012 Trophy

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Ive seen older cars sit up in one corner that has been jacked up to change a wheel or something until they are driven on the road again. Maybe you had just driver over an uneven curb or something before you took those other shots. Four year old shocks won't behave as well as new ones...

Offline bensintic

• 2nd Gear
I got a leaking shock on my i30gd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • i30 gd2 petrol

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA

Not that it's got anything to do with this topic...but get it replaced :)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

That's shocking...  :whistler:

Are they replacing it under warranty?

Offline bensintic

• 2nd Gear
Not sure

• i30 gd2 petrol

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal