i30 Owners Club

Hyundai i30 used review | 2012-2014

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
19 August 2016 by Graham Smith · CarsGuide

HYUNDAI I30 USED REVIEW | 2012-2014

Graham Smith reviews the 2012, 2013 and 2014 Hyundai i30 as a used buy.

Price From $10,500

What we like                                                     What we don't

Sharp pricing                                                       Radio reception is terrible
Still covered by long warranty                             Some minor electrical issues
Much improved transmission

Hyundai hatch's value proposition is still strong. Shame about the radio.

New

When the first i30 arrived in 2007, it typified Hyundai's progress as a maker of quality, reliable vehicles and earned Carsguide's Car of the Year gong that year. It was a tough act to follow but Hyundai went one better when it launched a new longer, wider and lower model in 2012.

The new range of five-door hatches started with the Active, stepped up to the Elite and topped out with the Premium and the dimensions endowed a roomier cabin and greater luggage space.

The 1.8-litre multipoint fuel-injected petrol four, delivered quite spirited performance. The 1.6-litre common-rail turbo diesel carried over.

The new generation i30 was an impressive step forward from an already decent car.
Good news came in the transmission options — gone were the five-speed manual and four-speed auto, replaced by six-speeders much better suited to the engines. The auto had a sports shift function too.

On the road the petrol version was nimble and agile and demonstrated reassuring grip and balance. The diesel was also impressive, greatly enhanced by the addition of the six-speed auto. All-round the new generation i30 was an impressive step forward from an already decent car.

Now

In launching the 2012 version, Hyundai went to great lengths to say it had been benchmarked against the VW Golf.

The prime appeal of Hyundais from the outset was the affordable pricing and long warranty, and that still applies. The pricing of a preloved i30 is generally sharp and the five-year/unlimited km warranty is transferable to the new owner, which can be reassuring.

Be careful if you're buying an ex-rental car and thinking of transferring the warranty over. Hyundai limits the coverage of cars used commercially, such as renters, to 130,000km.

Faulty electrics have long caused frustration and while the i30 is well built it's worth making sure everything works on the car before you hand over your cash.

Check the radio, because the source of most of the adverse comments on the i30 was the radio reception, which most owners agree is poor. There's not a lot you can do about it.

Make sure the car you are planning to buy has been serviced according to Hyundai's recommendations by checking its service record.

Verdict

Smithy says

Well-built and reliable, the i30 is definitely worth having on your shopping list.

Owners say

Glenn: Our i30 has been fantastic. We've had no problems whatsoever. It's comfortable, rides nicely, and has good performance. The only thing that is not perfect is the radio reception.

Raymond Setiawan: We bought our i30 second-hand with 90,000km on it. It has now 140,000km and we've had no problems at all. It runs smoothly and is economical. The only drawbacks are the uncomfortable front seats on long trips.

Tony Van Galen: Our i30 is a great car to drive. It's been reliable and very economical. It's comfortable and roomy and has plenty of power for the open road. The only problems have been with the electronic stability control, the poor radio reception and the clock, which does not hold the correct time.

Kenneth: Given My diesel i30 has less than 100,000km on the clock. It's a dream to drive, comfortable, economical and suits my 192cm frame.

Sharon Court: I'm very happy with my Active diesel auto. It's roomy and comfortable and the performance and economy are exceptional. The only criticism is the radio reception but I improved that by having an aerial from a Ford fitted, which made a real improvement.

John O'Brien: We bought the i30 ahead of the Toyota Corolla, VW Golf and Mazda3 after comparing their prices, running costs and driving dynamics

Frank Earl: The ride in my Premium is too hard, the performance is lacking and the fuel use is too high. Oh, and the radio reception is pathetic.

At a glance

Price new: $20,990-$32,590

Price now:

Active - $10,500-$17,500
Elite - $12,500-$20,000
Premium - $15,500-$22,500

Safety: 5 stars
Engines: 1.8-litre 4-cyl, 110kW/178Nm; 1.6-litre 4-cyl turbo diesel, 94kW/260Nm
Transmissions: 6-speed man, 6-speed auto; FWD
Thirst: 4.5L-6.9L/100km

Also consider

Volkswagen Golf 2012-14 - 3 stars - Great car but reputation sullied by issues with dual-clutch automatic. Pay between $9000-$27,000.

Holden Cruze 2012-14 - 2.5 stars - Dogged by automatic transmission woes. Avoid. Pay between $8500-$21,000.

Mitsubishi Lancer 2012-14 - 3.5 stars - Not the most exciting but it's sound and trouble free. Pay between $9000-$23,500.

Source: :link: Hyundai i30 used review | 2012-2014 | CarsGuide

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Good find thanks Russell, fairly honest and accurate.  :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline nzenigma

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      QLD
Having worked on the FD and GD i30s, I hold these models out to friends as cars to buy. BUT    :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
BUT, I reject the RAMBLINGS of GRAHAM SMITH and similar journalists who profit from making positive comment about various models irrespective of their validity.
One has to wonder how many people now regret following Mr Smith's advice.

For instance take the Nissan Navara D40 & D22 (I call it Satin's Masterpiece) . A Google search will bring up a litany of blogs and videos demonstrating catastrophic (YD25) engine failures due to any one of its known and inherent defects. Also transmission failures; many posts are hosted by professional engineers.
 However, Graham Smith takes the money and praises this monster in 2010 and 2014  :crazy1:
 :link: Nissan Navara used review | 2005-2010 | CarsGuide.
 :link: Nissan Navara D40 used review | 2005-2008 | CarsGuide

Graham Smith is aware of the Navara's failings because he hosts this site- :link: Nissan Navara Problems | CarsGuide  :fum: :fum: :fum:

Hyundai i45.  :confused:
Mr Smith and others have also given this car the thumbs up
 :link: Hyundai i45 used review | 2010-2012 | CarsGuide

:evil: But buyer beware, the i45 was called the Sonata in the USA and was subject to a class action lawsuit. Motors died because of lubrication restriction in the crankshaft. Hyundai claimed it was due to US manufacturing problems.
However, I have come across two i45 motors here in Australia that have a similar failure. The owners have missed a scheduled service and Hyundai has refused to supply a new motor under warranty, their quote $15,000!
Unlike the USA (I assume) the Hyundai warranty in Oz can keep any problems in-house. I note the model has been short lived here..
  • FD 2.0L CW (office); GD 1.8L & CRDi; BMW Z3 M; Audi A4 Quattro; Nissan 350Z HR

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal