i30 Owners Club

Total Noob Looking for help!

Offline MrKevlarr

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Hello!

I've come across this forum many times when searching ye olde Google for help with my I30ES so I've decided to make an account to ask for advice/help etc.
Hopefully this forum will satisfy those needs because finding information for mods/guides for my car is rather hard being there was only 500 of these made (to my knowledge).

So if there is anything on this forum that will help me with my I30ES 2009/59 or guides that are for other models that apply to my car I would be appreciative of the help and guidance in the right direction (I'm new to this whole thing but will give anything a go!).

I love the whole washing and detailing part of cars and will gladly take 10+ hours to make sure she shines, I'm just new to the whole modding/tinkering scene.  :)

Here's an [overexposed] picture of my beauty after a quick snow foam and wash:

• 2009 ES 5 Door, Petrol 1.4, Manual, Dark Grey/Black

Offline ~ Angel ~

• 6th Gear
  • Personnel Manager

• nu Niue

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
 :wttc:  MrKevlarr

There are plenty of guides and further information about the forum for your car in regards to mod's, I'm not up to date with the specifics of your exact model ( probably a slightly different interior trim :undecided: ) though it's still an FD so I'd think that all external mod's for FD's would at least be suitable for yours as well.

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
 :welcome:

Looks like an FD to me. How about you post some more shots including the interior?
We'll sort out any differences pretty quickly. :goodjob:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Just Rick

• V.I.P
  • Big Dogs Rule

• au Australia
      Beverley Western Australia

• miracles can happen
 :welly1: MrKevlarr,Like Gonz said many differences between the UK delivered and Aust Delivered model but yours looks from the outside the same as our 2011 SLX(except for the colour)
  • 2011 SLX CRDI 6 Spd, 2010 Holden Cruze CD Diesel and 2001 Hyundai Accent Coupe

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Welcome
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
:welcum: MrKevlarr

Looks great. Like others have said, most of the difference in spec within the FD (series 1) range won't effect which mods you can apply.

You may however find some aftermarket accessories hard to source seeing that this shape has been out of production for 4 years now.

Browsing the older posts in the modifications section on the forum should stimulate your creative juices...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK

Offline MrKevlarr

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Thanks all for the welcome!

To reply to those about the interior the only difference I can see is that tray kind of thing above the radio... I'll update with pictures in a few.
Been rather busy with a new job working nights hence the late reply, sorry about that!

Offline MrKevlarr

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Umm, guessing only the center console and that you would need? Not to sure  :P

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Aside from having the top compartment optioned out, the only other difference I can make out is the extra accessory panel between the power sockets. :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
Hi and welcome on here.

As Gonz said, the only difference I've seen is the top cubbyhole which is missing and the Aux and USB slot between the two 12V sockets. On mine it sits underneath the centre armrest console.

Also, my speedo is only in kph.

One more thing I spotted with the HVAC controls is that it looks slightly different to mine, but not by a big margin

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk

• 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Offline MrKevlarr

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
Aside from having the top compartment optioned out, the only other difference I can make out is the extra accessory panel between the power sockets. :victory:
Hi and welcome on here.

As Gonz said, the only difference I've seen is the top cubbyhole which is missing and the Aux and USB slot between the two 12V sockets. On mine it sits underneath the centre armrest console.

Also, my speedo is only in kph.

One more thing I spotted with the HVAC controls is that it looks slightly different to mine, but not by a big margin

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk

Yeah I though that also with the cubby hole and ports. I was just unsure whether there were anything else different. The main thing I tried finding was a detailed description of how to replace the radio which I came with no luck as they all had that cubby on.

Also,  seems as it's essentially the same as the others would any/most the tutorials on here work on my model if I found some I liked?

Thanks again.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I'd say most tutorials would be the same, especially ones relating to the same 1.4ltr engine.

A stereo shop would have no problems fitting a new 2DIN head unit to your car, fairly straight forward with that one as you'd cut away the whole of the fascia down past the volume controls and a new unit would slot straight in.

Offline PhireSideZA

• V.I.P
  • French Diamond Driver

• za South Africa
      Port Elizabeth

• Phil her up!
I wonder if you were to use a suction cup to lift that blank plate off, would the screws holding the stereo not maybe be underneath it? :question:
  • 2007 A4 Avant 2.0T in Phantom Black. Ex-FD owner!

Offline MrKevlarr

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
I wonder if you were to use a suction cup to lift that blank plate off, would the screws holding the stereo not maybe be underneath it? :question:
Hmm, not sure about that because it looks to me as if it's all 1 piece, as well as some people online saying that it is and you shouldn't try and pry it off. I'd rather not take my chances 😂

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline MrKevlarr

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
I'd say most tutorials would be the same, especially ones relating to the same 1.4ltr engine.

A stereo shop would have no problems fitting a new 2DIN head unit to your car, fairly straight forward with that one as you'd cut away the whole of the fascia down past the volume controls and a new unit would slot straight in.
Brilliant! I'll have to scan the forums for a few tutorials and have a crack at it myself sometime, I've seen a few aftermarket shops that would supply a decent facia but I just need to fiddle with it to fine out how it comes apart ☺

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline ibrokeit

• V.I.P
  • Author of War & Peace

• au Australia
      Brisbane
Actually I am pretty sure one of the threads here has mentioned the differences between fascia removal with and without the "cubby".   The main thing is DON'T try to pry it off - from memory the blanking plate is screwed to the rest of the fascia from behind (not to the dashboard frame just the fascia).

Actually yup...  in the HOW TO I wrote up (a combination of other peoples posts/threads and videos and my own experience/photos) it is covered in the fascia removal section (though no images) - :link: HOW TO: FD Body - OEM (2DIN) headunit - Fascia Removal/Refitting

I personally would recommend the cig-lighter/storage removal trick - allowing you to push the bottom of the fascia out so you can pull it off - rather than trying to get something in one of the seams (I broke one clip/positioner - didn't actually cause any issues but still)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 14:09:16 by ibrokeit »
  • 2019 i30 N-Line Premium (previously 2010 i30cw SLX (Auto) Petrol 2.0L)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal