i30 Owners Club

Diesel auto fuel economy.

Offline Rocky987654

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
hi all thanks for your help in advance !!
Got a i30 diesel after much research tossing up the old petrol vs diesel debate.
I have had the car for about three months now it is a 2012 i30 diesel auto with 40000km on the clock it has been maintained properly , as soon as I got the car I changed the oil and oil filter with the best oil that i could find fully synthetic , also used a nulon fuel additive to clean the injectors , tyre pressures are good .
I have had the car into the Hyundai dealership twice for diagnostics , two different places they tell me that nothing is wrong with it .

It is getting around 9.0-9.4 liters per 100 km urbane cycle this is crap.

Help please.     
  • Hyundia i30 diesel

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
You've told us a little about the car, but nothing about your driving style, type of driving and transmission type. Can't offer any suggestions based on current info  :exclaim:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
 :-[

My internet is so fast, I must have missed that bit.  :mrgreen:

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
:-[

My internet is so fast, I must have missed that bit.  :mrgreen:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Very well played, sir!!

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
 :D

Offline cleid

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Have you calculated economy yourself, i.e. not using the trip computer? I've found the reported L/100 figure to be unreliable.
  • 2013 i30 Tourer 1.6 CRDi 128PS (6spd auto)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
Yes, the best way to calculate economy is by brimming the tank each time when filling. Use the information and the fuel calculator located here,

:link: A quick fuel consumption calculator

Even with Diesel engines, short trips use more fuel as the engine is initially cold.

Suggest you go for a long drive in country and if economy is important, check your driving style. Don't dive like a petrol engine, it is generally not worth going past 3k rpm as most power is developed under this engine speed.

Offline Rocky987654

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Thank you for your input , as for driving style my wife mostly drives the car but I would say her driving style is just normal city grind kids to school in peak hour traffic then to work again in the sydney peak traffic , it is not a good drive if you live in Sydney you would know all about that.
But having said that i still think that it is on high side , I have been driving it for a couple of days to my work my run is a lot better than her as i work night shift and get a better drive than her and after driving it for a couple of days i got it down to about 8.5 liters per 100 kms , and in answer to the question how do I get the number they are from the trip computer.
Cheers 
  • Hyundia i30 diesel

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
The real difference in efficiency between your driving and your wifes can only be measured by brimming the tank for each driver. So is the 8.5 a result of your driving added to her driving, if it is, then your driving will be offset by the existing high records held by the computer.

I think that your consumption is in the normal range, just sad you have to deal with Sydney peak hour traffic. Brim the tank and go to Canberra for a drive and see what you get.  :D

Offline Rocky987654

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Yes the Sydney fraffic is a nightmare but we took the car to to Wollongong for a trip today the fuel consumption came down from the previous high readings to around 6 litres per 100 kilometres which I'm very happy with so I think the car is within the normal range of specifications , it did get down to 5.5.
But one other rather strange anomaly is that the trip computer is now telling me that the range is still only around 500 kilometres for one tank of diesel which should be incorrect if it is doing 6 litres per 100 kilometres should be around 700 kilometres for a full tank of diesel which leads me to my next question does The Trip Computer factoring previous driving into the calculation of the amount of kilometres it will do on one tank of diesel
Thanks Phil
  • Hyundia i30 diesel

Offline Asterix

• V.I.P
  • i40 CRDi 100kW 2013

• dk Denmark
      Sdr. Omme - DK
The DTE in the i30 will show you very conservative figures...

When refilling after ca 1000 km on a tank the DTE will show me about 800 km...  :disapp:
  • i40 CRDi 100 kW 2013

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear

• au Australia
The best way to reset the trip comp is to disconnect the -ve lead for about 30 minutes. This resets the computer. It is also important to reset the trip figures at each fill if you want accurate figures. If traveling on a long trip you can leave the reset and this will give you the economy based on the whole trip (multiple fills).

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
I believe that the DTE is constantly recalculating, using your most recent driving history (say 10 minutes) to calculate how far it is until empty.

Offline Rocky987654

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
Yes the Sydney fraffic is a nightmare but we took the car to to Wollongong for a trip today the fuel consumption came down from the previous high readings to around 6 litres per 100 kilometres which I'm very happy with so I think the car is within the normal range of specifications , it did get down to 5.5.
But one other rather strange anomaly is that the trip computer is now telling me that the range is still only around 500 kilometres for one tank of diesel which should be incorrect if it is doing 6 litres per 100 kilometres should be around 700 kilometres for a full tank of diesel which leads me to my next question does The Trip Computer factoring previous driving into the calculation of the amount of kilometres it will do on one tank of diesel
Thanks Phil

I don't find the trip computer in these to be fantastic. Ok as a guide and range to empty would be a guide and does recalculate, eventually.

My average is showing 5.9, I've measured mine over the last few weeks and doing roughly 600k at a time I'm getting low to mid 6's. That's brimming, and doing a manual calculation. Mixture of freeway and suburban. I also estimate these tanks brimmed could be 58-60 L as opposed to the 53L in the specs. I have managed to put 57L in and the tank was not empty but pretty close I'd say.

Based on my computer avg of 5.9L DTE should be 898k with 53L and based on 6.5l / 100 and 53L would make it 815k but often it will say about 740-750K whenever I fill it up.

I also had on several occasions the trip computer not recognise the tank being full and not going back to say the 740k and show 500 odd k. It may be when I top up because often if I've done 200k or so the guage is still full or only just moved so may not be far enough for the computer to see the change.

I do know filled to the brim and a straight highway trip I have seen 1100k from one tank. using loose figures based on 60L that put me inthe 5.5L region which is pretty good as it's auto and if the tank is smaller , better still but as I said I've put in 57L once I'm sure.
I have managed to get the computer to show 4.9L/100 doing a reset and doing straight highway.

Only way to get true idea is as suggested fill it right up, run it right down, fill it up and do the math. 2500 -3000 RPMs is about as high as I go .

Oh, and I should add it's approaching 190000K, absolutely fantastic car to be running probably as well as new, does not use a drop of oil at the moment.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 10:24:30 by tw2005 »
  • i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Rocky987654

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Thanks for all that information  , i will see how it ends up in the long run , it is a bit all over the place at the moment .
I brought the car hoping to save money on fuel and also love the torque of the diesel , i did drive a VW Polo diesel around Europe and I loved it it was a 1.6 litre diesel and it went really really well fully loaded air conditioning on going up hills no down changes needed.
Cheers
  • Hyundia i30 diesel

Offline XinZhao

• 3rd Gear

• hr Croatia
my experience with DTE is that is almost always 907 km. Topped not to brim but to first click. If I brimm it,  its 907 km anyway.
When I had some break problems which led to greater fuel consumption the DTE said about 880. Never seen it greater than 907.
  • i30 1.6 CRDi 66kW with DPF, made 2011. in Czech

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal