i30 Owners Club

Hydroplane speeds for vehicles...

Heady · 12 · 2195

Offline Heady

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Berkshire
When doing my UK NPPL pilot license exams a few months ago - I had to know and calculate contaminated runway hydroplaning speeds.

During a drive in the wet the other night it got me wondering why this is never discussed during driving license exams.

This video presents some general info regarding hydroplaning & car tires.
:link: examine it! Aquaplaning | drive it - YouTube

This video shows the 1960s FAA/NASA formula taught for pilot exams...
:link: Hydroplane formula - YouTube

Dynamic Hydroplane Speeds - Tires Rotating (1960s FAA/NASA)
PSIknots
(9*√PSI)
mphkm/h

Dynamic Hydroplane Speeds - Tires Not Rotating (1960s FAA/NASA)
PSIknots
(7.7*√PSI)
mphkm/h

Although, the following report shows that the 1960s FAA/NASA formula may not be valid for the current newer (2001) aircraft tires!
http://www.nlr-atsi.nl/downloads/hydroplaning-of-modern-aircraft-tires.pdf
Actual experimental data showed the current newer (2001) aircraft tires broke away at a lower speed than that predicted by the 1960s FAA/NASA formula!

Anyone have any additional info?

Just noticed that suferdude mentions up to 40PSI here so have updated the tables above.
:link: Tyre Pressures
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 03:26:11 by Heady »
  • 2013 CRDi GD 5 Door Tourer, Diesel 1.6lt, Auto

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
I always have mine as 41psi so I'm safely off the chart. :lol:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I can only speak with regard to road tyres, not aircraft tyres but I can't imagine how any meaningful figures could be obtained for the road.
Tread depth, various types of uneven wear, footprint width, speed, rim width in relation to tyre size and tread patterns would all have a bearing on the results.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Same here. I can't take those readings seriously.
They'd be a very rough indication of escalation with no direct value to a given situation.
Even atmospheric temperature, humidity and pressure would have a bearing. :crazy1:

Offline Heady

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Berkshire
Same here. I can't take those readings seriously.
They'd be a very rough indication of escalation with no direct value to a given situation.
Even atmospheric temperature, humidity and pressure would have a bearing. :crazy1:
This is what I find interesting... 
Those equations correct or not are a go - no-go calculation for aircraft flights. 
Almost all aircraft flight manuals I have read reference them and failure to heed them would affect legal liability & insurance. 
So even if wrong - those equations must be considered "safe" for variable levels of safe for that industry.

However, I cannot find much in the way for cars.  Everyone says its complex... but given the number of cars compared to number of aircraft - I would have thought that there would be a larger body of evidence.
This is where I was hoping that maybe suferdude with his contacts might be able to help?
Or if someone on this forum has contacts into police RTA forensics?
Or if someone has friends in formula 1 racing where millions are spent modeling this type of thing?

I have found this written in 2015 - so it is a bit more recent than 1960s and is focused towards vehicle crash forensics.
http://www.crashforensics.com/papers.cfm?PaperID=56
Which only includes vehicle speed, tread depth, water depth, pavement texture, & tire pressure.  Doesn't mention anything relating to temperature, pressure etc...    ????

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Interesting read but suspiciously quantitative proposing a 'best fit' formula to what had been determined in an entirely qualitative way. :lol:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=3

We had a Goodyear Eagle Aquatred for a while. Two massive hydra channels around the tyre and a directional tread pattern. It would disperse 7 litres of water from the footprint EVERY SECOND at highway speeds.

But at the end of the day, regardless of pattern and all, the other elements,  a road is not like an airport runway. It has dips and hollows everywhere and if you hit a puddle with one or both sides of the car, you're going skiing,  like it or not.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
I would imagine that the tread pattern would play a part. From my casual observations - commercial aircraft tyres - if they have a tread pattern - have just circumferential grooves around the tyre. Hence they only dissipate water in the longitudinal direction (fore and aft!!).  A major difference between aircraft and vehicle tyres is that aircraft favour using cross ply tyres because of their stiffer walls whereas vehicles tend to favour radial tyres which maintain a flatter tread. 

Vehicle tyres also have circumferential grooves but also lateral or angular grooves which enables them to dissipate water sideways as well as fore and aft.

( Facts brazenly stolen from the Dunlop aircraft tyre website)

• 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline Heady

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Berkshire
... It would disperse 7 litres of water from the footprint EVERY SECOND at highway speeds.
That is quite impressive.

Offline Heady

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Berkshire
... they have a tread pattern - have just circumferential grooves around the tyre. Hence they only dissipate water in the longitudinal direction (fore and aft!!).  A major difference between aircraft and vehicle tyres is that aircraft favour using cross ply tyres because of their stiffer walls whereas vehicles tend to favour radial tyres which maintain a flatter tread. 
My understanding is that aircraft tyre design is mainly for straight braking.  Aircraft tyres don't have to steer around bends at high speed.

Anyway - it has been a good thought experiment and I've learnt a bit.

I'm thinking of contacting the AIM (Advanced Institute of Motorists) here in the UK and asking the same question to see what the response is...

Offline FatBoy

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Cygnet, Tasmania
I visited an aircraft tyre factory in Melbourne about 25 years ago, a very interesting place.  What I found most interesting is that aircraft tyres are designed to be retreaded, and that nearly every airline (well, the smart ones) use retreads on their aircraft.  They have a code on the sidewall that lists how many times it has been done, and when.

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Yes, I routinely inspected an aviation safety equipment warehouse in my last job. Tyres stacked to the ceiling among other things. I saw then how retreading is common.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal