i30 Owners Club

Windscreen Washer Fluid

pidim · 14 · 5373

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Hi everyone, I tried to search but could not find anything on the question I have  on here.

Is it okay to use ordinary tap water in the windscreen washer reservoir or should it be filled with dedicated fluid eg:  :link: SCA Windscreen Wash RTU 5 Litre Brand NEW Super Cheap Auto | eBay  ?

My question is not necessarily one of whether it will clean the windscreen better but whether plain water can cause issues with blocking pipes and washer nozzles or anything else.

Thanks for your help.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
I've only ever used tap water with some Trico additive in it, you'll find the SCA premix is just their concentrate mixed with tap water anyway :)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Tap water only here. For as long as I've had windscreen washers. And I'm 68.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline tw2005

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Ipswich
I've  used water, or a few drops of dish detergent but trying the TRICO additive which was reasonably priced at REPCO and gives a nice clear screen.

Good sized washer in the i30 too.

• i40 Premium Tourer, FD i30CW SLX CRDi FD i30 CRDi SX , Welly, SANTA CLAUS

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Avoid dishwashing liquid like the plague.  It can rust the window washer pump. Trico is good because it is ammonia free ( gentler on your paint and smells nicer)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
Dishwasher detergent is designed makes glass waxy.  That will make your wipers chatter across the screen.
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
The tubes on my washers got blocked some 2 months after the garage at a service put concentrate stuff in the washer bottle.

They did the right thing and cleared etc FOC.

I just use tap water with a very small drop of cleaner stuff so as to prevent the water freezing and smears on the glass.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline xiziz

• V.I.P

• se Sweden
      Varmland, Sweden
Ideally you want something that will kill any bacteria(which could clog the pipes/pump), usually there is a detergent in the ready made stuff that both helps clean the windshield and keeps the liquid stable.

Here you need to include ethanol/isopropanol to prevent the fluid freezing, but I don't think you have that problem down under.

I have a 5l bottle with concentrated stuff in the basement which I mix out with tap water according to the outdoor temperature(for the antifreeze, which needs to be a lot more concentrated in winter than in the summer), very cheap.
  • Ioniq Electric MY2019 88kw

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
I just remembered we used to put a small amount of methylated spirits in the washer bottle. I had completely forgotten that but I still use a small amount of metho on a rage to clean stubborn spots of gunk of the screen and the wiper blades. No detrimental effect on the rubber.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
Quite a few opinions.... tap water it is then   :)

Thank you all.

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Avoid dishwashing liquid like the plague.  It can rust the window washer pump. Trico is good because it is ammonia free ( gentler on your paint and smells nicer)

And use filtered water with your Trico, then you will have gentle on your paint ,smell nice and and have a healthier car :snigger:
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net

And use filtered water with your Trico, then you will have gentle on your paint ,smell nice and and have a healthier car :snigger:

I could easily do that. All our water is rainwater and we filter all the drinking water that doesn't go through the kettle for hot drinks.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline pidim

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

I could easily do that. All our water is rainwater and we filter all the drinking water that doesn't go through the kettle for hot drinks.

If I filter the water, the car won't get any fluoride.    :D

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
All of which reminds me, I must top up my washer tank  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal