i30 Owners Club

higher speeds, steering control and stability

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

• 1.4 Comfort in Midlands UK
From the factory, this was at 40psi. When i took the car for first ride, i felt that it was just about to take off, so i... landed at the first gas station, where i checked the tire pressure.

My tyre pressures were also on the high side when I collected my car, so I removed some air.  I think they may assume you could be driving the car with a full load and if that was the case, it would probably need the tyres set at a higher PSI.

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear
  • queenslands most feminine

• au Australia
      Gympie

• thunder wishes it could be the snow
    • My Fuelly
Snowcherry, is your car equipped with ESP?
I noticed that on our slippy roads with the unacceptable OEM tires (Hankook for me), the ESP works overtimes when cornering (even in normal speeds). In fact, the ESP corrects the stability by adding brakes at selected tires etc. If you're not familiar with this, you have the impression that the car "disobeys" you as it tends to bring the car on its course.

i do have ESP. [i think i have the hankooks to.] so thats a good possibility that the ESP is kicking in.

the 40psi, on the particular trip i mentioned in the first post i was running the 40 psi then. but its been the only time. i have dropped it since and its still light. and it was light when i first got the car and i drove it at recommended for about the first month or two. though i do think its worse now, but i'm unsure how 34 to 38 would actually make that much difference, but maybe it does! anyway i'm going to try 36 next (couldn't do it thursday as it was bucketing with rain again) so i'll see how i go with that.  :)
  • SR AUTO 2.0 Petrol Hatch

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece
      Body lives in Athens, heart in Thessaloniki

• ...em ot keerG lla s'ti
From the factory, this was at 40psi. When i took the car for first ride, i felt that it was just about to take off, so i... landed at the first gas station, where i checked the tire pressure.

My tyre pressures were also on the high side when I collected my car, so I removed some air.  I think they may assume you could be driving the car with a full load and if that was the case, it would probably need the tyres set at a higher PSI.

No, actually they assume that the car might stay a long time in a showroom.
  • 1.4 HB Classic '09 White

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece

Snowcherry, 36-38 psi do make the difference, especially when the road surface isn't that even. I don't have any idea about the road condition in Australia, but here, such a high tyre pressure, would make any car to take-off the road (even a Merc :))
As for the light feeling of the car comparing to the Ford Focus (along with some untoward choices of Hyundai), let's not forget that the Focus is the class leader at road-ability.
Maybe you can test your car with another tyre-set of equal size (michelin pilot, pirelli p-zero, conti sport or premium contact, bridgestone turanza) and see the difference. Ask it from a friend or your local dealer as they usually have lots of used cars (i've done such a thing in the past). The sure thing is that the hankooks are really bad, even at normal conditions.

Pip
We appear to have some tyre experts on here, and I'm not one, but it's my understanding that the lower the tyre profile, the greater the pressure required. The ride with properly inflated low profile tyres on large rims will always be harsher than smaller wheels but the up side is the grip will be much greater when pressed hard.

The 17" wheels on the SR with their lower profile tyre should need slightly more pressure than my 16" wheels. I run 38 psi in the front and am perfectly happy with the ride/performance compromise. I'd run 40 psi if I were you and only drop it back a pound or two if the ride was too harsh. The recommended pressure (whatever that is) would almost certainly be biased towards comfort and not safety.

Offline StarSeeker

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands UK

• 1.4 Comfort in Midlands UK
No, actually they assume that the car might stay a long time in a showroom.

No not in my case, as the car had not been in the showroom and was collected within 3 days of delivery from the factory.

Anyway, the length of time a car is left in the showroom should make no difference, as it should receive a check before being handed over to the customer.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I'm no tire expert either but from what I've read and heard on here (and from my own experience) The Hankooks/ kumho tyres on the SX (15") are very ordinary, the 16" on the SLX are better by a good margin, but still only average and the 17" on the SR are better again (not a performance tyre but quite acceptable)

What I am trying to get across here is that just because the OEM tyres on the i30 are Korean (Hankook/Khumo) doesn't mean they are ALL c**p...

I realise this is slightly off topic but just felt it needed to be said.. :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece

Well, perhaps there are major differences (due to the road conditions) here and there, so our experiences can't be comparable 8)
I also think that our road contractors are a few decades back in know-how :evil:

As for Korean tyres, i didn't say that they are all c**p.
To put it right (and just from my own experience), the performance of Hankook Optimo K415 185/65 15R on wet, soapy, worn tarmac (the majority of roads here) is surprisingly worse comparing to others that i've driven.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Babis.. I wasn't having a shot at you..

I think it is common knowledge that the 15" tyres are sub standard and I think in many peoples minds (not necessarily yours) they assume the other lower profile tyres are also fairly average...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline accim

• 6th Gear

• si Slovenia
      Slovenia

• Europe - Slovenia
    • Flickr
The steering wheel hardens as you go faster. That's a good thing. It gets quite hard, but I really got used to it and it's a great thing at higher speeds, as you don't have to worry too much about turning the wheel left/right too fast or too much. I know when I drive my dads Santa Fe, moms Volvo V40 or some other cars, that don't have progressive steering wheel. I just don't feel as "firm" as with i30, when driving 130, 160, 170 km/h.. As the speed goes up, you must be twice as careful than with i30.

You also have "heavy" steering wheel (at low speeds or when parked) due to the 17" alloys and 225/45 wheels, you have. If you would put 16" you would feel "improvement" (for you), or even 15" - in this case, you can turn the wheel just by looking at it when standing still :) I know I felt quite a difference when going 15" -> 16". The same was on my previous car, when I had 185/65 tires and then tried on 205/45 tires. The steering wheel was I think 50% "heavier" than with "normal tires". So if you want it lighter, go with 16" or even 15". It doesn't look as pretty, but..

Wheel alignment. Do it. I've noticed that at least 50% of new cars are a bit "off". The new Santa Fe, we bought, is a bit off. I have to drive it to the service, so they would check it out. My previous new Accent was also quite a lot off, I got it fixed and it was better. Our previous Santa Fe also had the same problem.. I think my i30 could also be a bit off, but not as much as the cars I've written before.

The bottom line, I believe the i30 is quite stable. But, it depends on which car you are comparing. It's very stable compared to my previous cars (2x Accent, 1x Elantra). But unfortunately, if you are comparing the i30's chassis with Ford Focus's chassis, you probably won't be as satisfied as I am with it. But there shouldn't be that much of a difference though.

Regarding the fact that Slovenians "national sport" is fast driving, I sometimes do it too  :) To me i30 feels very safe at higher speeds.. I've driven it 180-200 km/h (according to speedometer) quite few times and I really didn't feel "unsafe". Even braking, turning, avoiding felt "just right". Well, it can always be better, but for this type of car, it's ok. I remember that with Accent, driving at speeds 180-200 km/h was a great way to become a nervous wreck. You could feel how the car felt like a boat on the water. You just sit and hope it will calm down (or you lower the speed :P :rolleyes:) The i30's feels about 90% better.

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece

...I think it is common knowledge that the 15" tyres are sub standard...

Hi Daz,
in my case, the 185/65 15R are sub-sub standard. And what a pity, due to the soapy roads they don't seem to ware away soon enough...
OK, enough with the off-topic 8)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
due to the soapy roads

Explain please :question:
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece

due to the soapy roads

(hmm... now i have to consult my Greek<->English dictionary)

Soapy road: sleek & skiddy /slippery road, like it's coated with soap.

When this happens, the road has a low friction factor (i think that's the term) and tyres don't wear away.
According to a (past) research, the friction-factor of dry roads in Greece, is far worse (lower) than the one of wet roads in Germany. That's because the road constructors here, use large amounts of coal tar for wearing (it is cheaper) instead of special gravels used for road construction. Thereupon, when air temperature reaches 30oC, this coal tar literally melts and the road gets a soapy surface. Due to this, almost any set of tyres can easily past 50.000(!) kms without a sign of wear. But in the other hand, maybe that's why greece has the sad lead in serious accidents per population (1.500 deaths from 10 million people, per year).
That is a whole small town vanished, every year...
Thanks to ESP, i hope to scrape through this :rolleyes:

...sorry for the long off-topic... ehmm... what were we talking about?

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
due to the soapy roads

(hmm... now i have to consult my Greek<->English dictionary)

Soapy road: sleek & skiddy /slippery road, like it's coated with soap.

When this happens, the road has a low friction factor (i think that's the term) and tyres don't wear away.
According to a (past) research, the friction-factor of dry roads in Greece, is far worse (lower) than the one of wet roads in Germany. That's because the road constructors here, use large amounts of coal tar for wearing (it is cheaper) instead of special gravels used for road construction. Thereupon, when air temperature reaches 30oC, this coal tar literally melts and the road gets a soapy surface. Due to this, almost any set of tyres can easily past 50.000(!) kms without a sign of wear. But in the other hand, maybe that's why greece has the sad lead in serious accidents per population (1.500 deaths from 10 million people, per year).
That is a whole small town vanished, every year...
Thanks to ESP, i hope to scrape through this :rolleyes:

...sorry for the long off-topic... ehmm... what were we talking about?

Thanks.
I understand now.

Seems as if the government should invest heavily on road construction and materials as it appears the road surface is a contributory factor in road traffic accidents
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece

...it appears the road surface is a contributory factor in road traffic accidents

and the human stupidity too

Offline snowcherry

• 6th Gear
  • queenslands most feminine

• au Australia
      Gympie

• thunder wishes it could be the snow
    • My Fuelly
well had tyres checked yesterday and oddly they were all on 36 psi anyway
so my backs had stayed on 36 and the fronts had dropped 2 psi

seemed a bit weird but hey  :lol: