i30 Owners Club

1.6 diesel - Idle speed, how noisey at idle and air con whine :)

BarryD · 3 · 2313

Offline BarryD

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Milton Keynes
Having owned my i30 now for almost am month, I am very happy with her - DPO (dumb previous owner) seemed to tail gate a lot as I've had to tidy up quite a few stone chips, but maybe they were just unlucky.

3 Questions / requests for information:

1. She's got 24k miles on the clock, and was serviced just before I bought her around £22k miles.  Now the oil is pretty black and she's a lot noisier than my old diesel Santa Fe was at idle,  I am thinking an oil change would not hurt and may make her quieter.  Thoughts?

2. She seems to idle around 1100 rpm, settling down to 800 after about 30 seconds whenever I pull up - is this normal?  If this is indicative of slight over fuelling then I can see another improvement in MPG possible.

3.  Air-Con I'm guessing the pump is electric rather than engine driven.  When I turn it on there is a definite increase in noise, again is this normal?  Should I not be able to hear it?  Maybe if I leave it on for a week or so it will quieted down.

Overall I'm really pleased with the car, and the above niggles are so minor I would normally not mention them, but it's Friday lunchtime and I'm bored at work LOL

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hi "bored at work" :D

1. Mine's 3 years old (61,500 miles) and is quiet at idle, though I guess you could say the noise level is pretty much subjective.

2. Mine is the same, settling down to around 850rpm after a few seconds (less than 30 seconds, that's for sure)

3. My AC is engine-driven; its pulley is always spinning with the engine but pressing the AC button causes an electromagnetic clutch to connect the compressor to that pulley. In my case that's accompanied by a slight judder of the engine as the load is taken up, followed immediately by an increase in fuel delivery to compensate for that.
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
3 Questions / requests for information:

4?

1. She's got 24k miles on the clock, and was serviced just before I bought her around £22k miles.  Now the oil is pretty black ........... I am thinking an oil change would not hurt and may make her quieter.  Thoughts?

I wonder whether they used the correct specification/grade of oil.
Just checked mine and although it is dark it is not black

1. She's got 24k miles on the clock, and was serviced just before I bought her around £22k miles.   ...............she's a lot noisier than my old diesel Santa Fe was at idle,  I am thinking an oil change would not hurt and may make her quieter.  Thoughts?

Mine is noisy at start up from cold but quite after about 5 minutes.

2. She seems to idle around 1100 rpm, settling down to 800 after about 30 seconds whenever I pull up - is this normal?  If this is indicative of slight over fuelling then I can see another improvement in MPG possible.

Mine idles around 850/900 rpm

3.  Air-Con I'm guessing the pump is electric rather than engine driven.  When I turn it on there is a definite increase in noise, again is this normal?  Should I not be able to hear it?  Maybe if I leave it on for a week or so it will quieted down.

Mine is noisy on settings 3 and 4.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal