i30 Owners Club

Cruise Control not activating

garry · 22 · 6374

Offline garry

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Driving home from work and turned the cc on ,pressed the set button, NOTHING.?????? So pulled over  turned of the car /turned on the car  redid the whole process and it worked , so will watch this little problem.Anyone else had this happen.

Pip
I've had mine not able to Resume after hitting Cancel.  Need to do a new Set to get it to take again.  Done this several times now.

Pip

Offline camerooney

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      South Coast NSW

• NSW Australia
Hmm I havent had any such issues yet.
I was using the cruise a little bit on my trip on Saturday.

I'll keep an eye out for it though.
Have you spoken to the dealer yet?

Offline davet

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Coffs Harbour

• Rides: i30 crdi SLX white
yeah I've seen this also.  Seems to get going again but I haven't worked out the magic incantation yet (but doesn't seem to involve switching the engine off).

Update - happened again yesterday.  touched the brake pedal and it worked.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
i have never had a problem with my aftermarket CC i have had it maybe 5 months now use it all the time works perfect for me.
but i am used to useing them with my falcon ute. this aftermarket one is easy to change the speed to like i can slow it two KPH hitting a button or speed it up. i like to use it with my digital Garmin GPS Speedo.

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
I haven't had any problems with my Cruise control. Thats because I didnt bloody get it with my SLX...grrrr. :evil:  Thats my only regret really about geting it early before it became standard. I haven't got around to putting aftermarket cruise yet. I have had aftermarket cruise control on other vehicles and never had a problem.

Offline bdennis

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne
My CRDi SLX with factory cruise has not shown any issues at all. I use it all the time.

I would expect that after pressing the cancel that you would need to hit set again.

The res only works (I assume) after you have hit the brake pedal to slow / disengage it..

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Quote from: "bdennis"
My CRDi SLX with factory cruise has not shown any issues at all. I use it all the time.

I would expect that after pressing the cancel that you would need to hit set again.

The res only works (I assume) after you have hit the brake pedal to slow / disengage it..

I believe BD is right. I had factory cruise on my 05 sonata and thst is how it worked.

Offline middy

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• White i30 SLX CRDi, 5sp man. Brisbane, QLD
I use the cruise every day and I usually cancel it using the cancel button and I can confirm that pressing resume after the cancel button will activate the cruise back to the previous speed again.  The cancel button is equivalent to pressing the brake pedal or the clutch pedal.

Offline garry

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Perth WA
Thanks to all for your thoughts,I have since been in/out of the car several times since that little hic up and it has woked perfertly.So heres hoping its a one of ,nothing worse going to the dealer with a sometimes it sometimes it does not.Anyway on a happier note got my fuel encomey down to 4.1/100 today & averaged 4.3/100 at 80km man that is really good I am wrapped

Offline fatboy_daveb

• 1st Gear
Hi there

Sorry for the late reply to this threda but I've only just joined the forum. I'm now on 22,000 miles (35,000 km) and I regularly travel between Glasgow and Manchester here in the UK. I have the cruise control on for most of the time I am on the motorway. It will work well until I stop for a break, but when I am back on the motorway it will not come back on at all. And this is regardless to any button I press in any combination. I did, however, find that by braking slightly heavily (70 mph to 60mph) that it seemed to sort it, and that I could then turn on the cruise control. I suspect that if the cruise control is on for a long time then it is either too hot (dry solder joint?) or gets its knickers in a twist (software bug?).

Cheers
Dave

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Quote from: "fatboydaveb"
I regularly travel between Glasgow and Manchester here in the UK.

Shambles.

Is this the "other" i30 you've seen?
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: "eye30"
Quote from: "fatboydaveb"
I regularly travel between Glasgow and Manchester here in the UK.

Shambles.

Is this the "other" i30 you've seen?
I doubt it.

Strange behaviour indeed for an electronic device. I'd get it checked out fatboyslim. You have a warranty, USE IT  :D
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline fatboy_daveb

• 1st Gear
Shambles

I got them to look at it at the first service (after 6 months of ownership) but they couldn't replicate the problem. That was not a surprise as I found that I needed to have it on for at least two hours before this characteristic woild appear. If you left it, the cruise control would come back after about an hour after it was last working.

As for seeing other i30s, I have to admit to only ever seeing a handful. Strange considering Autocar magazine rate hit higher than the VW Golf, and only slightly behind the Ford Focus. Badge stigma I suppose.

Cheers
Dave

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Ah well, not to worry fatboy. Cruise control is for gays anyway. There's nothing as manly as getting an aching right foot from some serious long distance driving - like a man  :lol:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
I reckon that is something else that Hyundai have got well right, I have spent three hours solid driving mine and not felt a cramp or pain at all, the Impreza could get a bit nippy by then.
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
I keep on forgetting to mention this problem with mine.

It appears that the problem is associated with the brake deactivation system of the cruise control.

As we all know pressing the brake de-activates the CC, sometimes the system registers that the brake is ever so slightly activated thus preventing the activation of cruise control.

The fix for this is simply just give the brakes a bit of a tap (enough that you notice a 1-3ish kph/mph loss) and then try activating the CC.

Doing that should rectify the problem.

It seems the systems is a bit too sensitive to brake input and can sometimes register a brake application when there is none.

I had it looked at during the 7,500km service and it has (unfortunately) happened since.

I know this thread started a while ago, but hope it helps anyone with the on going problem.

Regards

Daniel

Offline EpOcH

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Adelaide
On manual's the cruise will also come off if you hit the clutch pedal, try doing this instead of the brake.

It may help them diagnose it as a faulty brake switch or just a general issue.

In other brand cars I've even seen faulty brake light globes cause issues with cruise control.

Offline middy

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Brisbane

• White i30 SLX CRDi, 5sp man. Brisbane, QLD
Thanks for the info Daniel.  As it happens, my CC wouldn't activate the other day.  I had been using it already during the trip and it got deactivated when I probably braked, then I couldn't get it to resume again for a little while (or even set for that matter) no matter what combination of buttons I pressed.  If it happens again I will now know what to test to see if it fixes it.  Cheers.

Offline MRH130

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

• Was Crystal the i30 SR, now Courtney the Getz-tacy
Although I have not experienced this problem, it certainly sounds like an issue with adjustment of the brake pedal switch, as obviously the cruise will not engage if the car thinks the brakes are on. I have noticed that my brake lights come on as soon as the pedal is touched, whereas some cars require a fair bit of pedal movement to activate the brake lights. That would indicate the switch is adjusted tight.

It's also worth bearing in mind that in most vehicles if the ECU doesn't see the brake applied at least once after the vehicle is started, before the cruise is engaged, it will assume there is something wrong with the brake lamp circuit and disable the cruise.

I also note that Wheels magazine's long term i30 has had the same issue.

For those who are having this trouble, try putting your foot under the pedal and pulling it towards you and then try the cruise again. I have heard of other cars (not Hyundais) where the return spring on the brake (or clutch, if applicable) is not quite strong enough to fully return the pedal home, and this can cause this sort of issue.

Offline LuciferDarklord

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Bindoon, W.A.

• Bindoon, Western Australia.
I just read about this problem in wheels magazine while offshore.  I was thinking 'i've never had any problems with my cruise!?!?' On my return trip from the airport I stopped in for some diesel, and would you believe it, cruise wouldnt set!  I thought about the brake switch and gave it a quick tap, and fixed it.  Note is was dark, I looked in the mirror while touching the brake and the brake lights were not on before this, so I figure there is two brake switches, one for the lights and one for the cruise / stability control / whatever else.

Pip
Yep, had it a few times now.

No amount of button pushing on the steering wheel, turn off, turn on etc. fixed it.  Stop at the next lights and works fine again.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal